Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 16, 2013   #1
MikeInCypress
Tomatovillian™

Default Fall Tomatoes in a Houston Greenhouse

I recently bought a small greenhouse and will try growing 5 tomato plants and one or two cucumbers in containers this fall. I plan on having the plants growing in earthboxes and 5 gal SWC's at first and about November 10 move them into the greenhouse. For the cukes it will be Sweet Success and another variety. For the Tomatoes, I plan on Sungold, and some of the Dwarfs, and Big Beef. Which Dwarfs do you think would do best?

MikeInCypress
Old June 16, 2013   #2
TightenUp
Tomatovillian™

not sure which dwarf plants would do well for you but i have rosella purple growing in my raised bed and i've never witnessed such a healthy looking short compact plant. if only a 1/4 of the flowers set over the next few weeks i'll be absolutely loaded with maters.

i'm also growing big beef for the first time this season. the plant has been treated no diff from any others and is easily a foot taller and wider than any other plant in the garden. its also the first non cherry to set fruit

TightenUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2013   #3
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Mike

I think any of the dwarves will do good. Check out my threads the past couple years on what I grew. Bringing plants in to the greenhouse from outside brings any disease/pests with the plant. In the closed environment of the greenhouse that is bad.