Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 15, 2013   #1
DRT0MAT0
Tomatovillian™

Default Deer Repelant

I've been asked for my deer spray. It works fantastic if you have lots of deer like I do. I dehydrate habanero and ghost pepper then grind them in a coffee grinder. so I use them instead of red pepper. Deer stay away because they are offended by the protein in the eggs.

DEER REPELANT

4 eggs
2 tbls ground red pepper
2 tbls garlic powder
2 cups water

Put it all in a blender for 5 min.

Strain it into a discarded laundry detergent bottle (non-bleach) that has a little left over soap in it. add 1 gal. water and shake.

To use- pour into a sprayer and apply once a week to plants or after every rain.
DRT0MAT0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16, 2013   #2
BarbJ
Tomatovillian™

Nice recipe, very useful. Thanks!
BarbJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16, 2013   #3
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

thanks.

tom
And he’s gotta be fast
And he’s gotta be fresh from the fight
I need a hero
I’m holding out for a hero ‘til the morning light
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
And he’s gotta be larger than life
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16, 2013   #4
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

I've found an electric fence and a 30.06 to be effective repellents.
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16, 2013   #5
travis
Tomatovillian™

I've used homemade and commercial repellents of all sorts for deer and rabbits, including those made from rotten egg whites, hot pepper, garlic, etc. They all stink to high heaven, and work for a day or so, sometimes.

Sometimes they don't repel deer or rabbits at all. In fact, I've found that deer and rabbits will strip a hot pepper plant, leaves, peppers and all. So, they don't seem offended by the pepper content of homemade or commercial deer repellents.

What I've found to be the most effective and economic is that cheap, plastic snow fencing that comes either in dark green or bright orange. I use the dark green because it's less obnoxious in a garden setting.

Yes, it's only five feet tall, and a deer could easily hop over it, but I set a 7 foot post every third post and tie a survey tape flag atop the taller posts. This appears to trick the deer into thinking the entire fence is as tall as the tallest posts. You could also use cut willow saplings as more economical "fooler posts."

Yes, rabbits can crawl under the snow fencing. But I use wire cages around all my tomatoes, and I either wrap the bottom 12 inches or so with a finer mesh wire, or I use salvaged concrete pipe wire reinforcement cages that have been cast out due to defects. These cages would otherwise go to the crusher for scrap, so I can get them from the pipe manufacturer for scrap price.

The bell ends of the cages are a much narrower mesh because that is where the max. strength is required in concrete pipe. The bell end also makes a great base when setting the cages upright. The narrower mesh bars the rabbits' entry sufficiently. I occasionally get a curious young bunny, but that is rare.

Bottom line, I've found repellents useless for those who may be away from home for a week or so vacation during the growing season. One night after a good rainstorm and the deer will strip all your green tomatoes, if you have a large enough population in the area.

Here is a photo of one of two twin fawns who routinely came into my garden to eat green tomatoes. I ended up leaving a bucket of green tomatoes for her to enjoy, and she and her brother stopped poking their noses into my tomato cages. This was before I used the snow fencing to keep them out.

Those are buckets I use to grow peppers and determinate tomatoes for seed. The crop was finished at this point.

Scrap greenies for the deer twins.

Female fawn.

You can see the male fawn rummaging around in the left background. He was less appreciative of the bucket of greenies, which is why I ended up using the green snow fencing.

These photos are from 2011. In 2012 and 2013, the 5-foot fencing with the intermittent 7-foot fooler posts has worked to repel deer 100% so far.
travis is offline   Reply With Quote