Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old September 12, 2020   #16
strawbaleking
Tomatovillian™

Hi, thanks for the info!

So, I ordered Green Giant, Malachite Box, Grubs Mystery Green, Humph, and Cherokee Lime.

It's been way too hot (and smokey) for way too long here near Sacramento, CA this year. Ug.

I will continue to look at your other choices. Everything sounds so good!

Seems like I like greens and pinks the most. My first gwr this year has changed everything. I really haven't found a red I cared for so far. I did get some Matsu Express, Druzba, and Tarasenko 6 to try next year with these greens. Pinks this year that held up to the heat and disease were Terhune and Eva Ste Wendell (Eva Purple Ball x Big Beef). Both excellent taste and texture and new to me.
strawbaleking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15, 2020   #17
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

Cherokee Lime was a significantly sweeter tasting gwr for me, so I think many people will like it, it is also quite productive but goes soft real fast (it's also much more difficult to tell when ripe just by colour than most).
My favourite gwr from the commonly available ones is Spears Tennessee Green, productive, big, more balanced in sweet/acid, quite strong flavour. Above average shelf life. Cons: cracks easily at the shoulders, thick skin.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15, 2020   #18
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

Malachite Box went down fast for me in Atlanta three years in a row. I don't grow it anymore. Cherokee Green is by far the hardiest GWR that I have tried.
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
disease , green when ripe , gwr , heat tolerant