Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old March 25, 2016   #16
alexita
Tomatovillian™

So I guess there's still hope left in this world. If hot water treated seed should work, that's at least one way of ensuring a disease-free start.

Kurt, is your pool enclosure made with typical porch screen? I have a few rolls lying around but figured I needed something finer for whitefly.
alexita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2016   #17
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

My screen is the standard stuff, and whiteflies still get through.

Alexita, what are you going to get or use to keep them at 50C for 25 minutes without fluctuation in the temp? And it has to be wet treatment from what I read, so an oven or dehydrator won't do.
I think I am finally going to spring for that Sous Vide machine. I hear steaks come out awesome too!
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2016   #18
alexita
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
My screen is the standard stuff, and whiteflies still get through.

Alexits, what are you going to get or use to keep them at 50C for 25 minutes without fluctuation in the temp? And it has to be wet treatment from what I read, so an oven or dehydrator won't do.
I think I am finally going to spring for that Sous Vide machine. I hear steaks come out awesome too!
I haven't crossed that bridge yet!
Old March 25, 2016   #19
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexita View Post
Cole, I'm having trouble following everything in the study but I think they must mean that the seedlings were tested for TYLCV before they showed signs of disease. Later in the paper they describe that the TYLCV-susceptible variety showed visible symptoms while the tolerant variety tested positive but did not appear diseased. They also included pics of some affected plants from another test where they went on to make sure that the infected seedlings they grew in the greenhouse would inoculate virus-free whitefly, and those whitefly would infect TYLCV-free plants.

And thanks, I love biocontrols and will look into Met52. Silverleaf whitefly is everywhere here, year-round, and I'm an urban gardener, so I don't think it would prevent TYLCV but could ease the plant's stress. I love living in what's effectively the tropics, except when it comes to tomatoes!

Carolyn, I appreciate the info! It sounded to me like the study was able to verify the virus was not limited to the seed coat, but there's a huge part of me that hopes there's some major flaw in the study. I mean, they did only test using fresh seed.

I'll check out the hot water treatment posts. A quick Google search says 50°C for 25 mins for tomato seeds.
Please note that the temp given is for centigrade,N0T farenheight,which makes a HUGE difference.

Since no one fetched a thread about hot water treatment,out of the depths of my semi-black heart I did,and here's a good one which gives methodologies, pitfalls of such treatment and much more.

http://tomatoville.com/showthread.ph...seed+treatment

I sure hope that helps,

Carolyn
Old March 25, 2016   #20
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Please note that the temp given is for centigrade,N0T farenheight,which makes a HUGE difference.

Since no one fetched a thread about hot water treatment,out of the depths of my semi-black heart I did,and here's a good one which gives methodologies, pitfalls of such treatment and much more.

http://tomatoville.com/showthread.ph...seed+treatment

I sure hope that helps,

Carolyn
This helps a lot Carolyn.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2016   #21
kurt
Tomatovillian™

Default Screen size vs whitefly intrusion.

After Andrew we switched to darker fiberglass pet grade material(smaller hole,more thread/SQ inch)we did it for mangoe and leaf/branch falling puncture protection,anti UV penetration.Never occurred to me whitefly size since at that time then we never had a whitefly problem.I have seen them land on screen but never crawl through.

Last edited by kurt; March 25, 2016 at 03:45 PM. Reason: spelin
kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2016   #22
alexita
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn, thanks for digging it up! I had actually found out that thread a couple hours ago and read through it but got distracted before posting the link here.

I'm gonna test my stove to see if I can keep a constant 122° F like Worth (in the linked thread) was able to. I wouldn't have thought that'd be possible but it would be great if it's that easy.

Kurt, actually that explains a lot. I had come across several studies that found whitefly will avoid entering open screen enclosures if UV-blocking fabric is used, and also avoid flying over highly UV-reflective surfaces.

I can't find the ones I stumbled across earlier but found this study: http://www.bioone.org/doi/abs/10.160...225X-35.4.1069.

Tags
disease , tomato yellow leaf curl virus , tylcv , virus , whitefly