Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 2, 2015   #1
AZGardener
Tomatovillian™

Default Short Season and/or Heat Loving Recs?

Hi guys- I actually posted this same question about 2 years ago and I'm curious to see what people are saying now. So I live in Phx, AZ where we have seen 80's in early Feb this year and these last 4 days have been in the 90's. We usually hit 100 around May 1. I started my seeds early this year and actually got them planted around Valentines. I need to find some more varieties that are either super early or heat loving... I generally plant heirlooms, as I love the colors, sizes, shapes, and stories behind the plants. I also plant some beauties/new to me varieties like Yellow Radiance and Green Tie Dye. So folks- favorite short or heat loving variety?
AZGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2015   #2
creister
Tomatovillian™

What varieties do you currently use to fill this niche? I think the key in most hot weather climates, is to plant early and expect to protect from a few late frosts. Bill (b54red) in Alabama has some interesting methods he uses to get fruit set in extreme heat and humidity.
creister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2015   #3
AZGardener
Tomatovillian™

Creister- I honestly plant for taste/color/size (my kids love the small cherry tomatoes) so I haven't picked any "super early" or "heat loving" varieties. I have found the purple/blk russian variety tomatoes such as Cherokee Purple, Black Krim, Black from Tula, etc always do well. I did plant Early Annie this year though and its the smallest plant (interesting?). I will post a list of my tomatoes in a new thread possibly? Wouldn't that make a cool thread if everyone posted the varieties they were growing??
Old April 2, 2015   #4
creister
Tomatovillian™

Varieties I have had success with here include:

Sioux/Super Sioux
Eva Purple Ball
Break O'Day
Maya and Sion's Airdrie Classic
JD's Special C-Tex
Big Beef
Goose Creek (pink version)
Neve's Azorean Red
Soren's MarNar

Not that these are heat loving, but have done well for me in the heat. I believe large transplants put in early will give you more success instead of variety. Heat varieties like Solar Set, HEatwave II, etc., are not real tasty.

Last edited by creister; April 2, 2015 at 01:52 PM. Reason: change text
creister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2015   #5
AZGardener
Tomatovillian™

Totally agree with you. I meant to start my plants earlier this year but time got away from me... Out of all those, I have the Neeves Azorean Red growing. I have been wanting to try Goose Creek, heard so many great things about it! The others (besides Eva's Purple Ball) I have never heard of? Where did you buy your seed? I will look them up! A girl can never have too many seeds
Old April 2, 2015   #6
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Like someone posted earlier the black/pink varieties tend to set when it is so hot nothing else will. My favorites for heat production of those types are Indian Stripe, Indian Stripe potato leaf, JD's Special C Tex, Carbon, Spudakee, and Dana's Dusky Rose.

Some others that have done very well in the heat are Pruden's Purple, Neves Azorean Red, Arkansas Traveler, Druzba, Frank's Large Red, Terhune, and of course Big Beef.

The most important thing to remember is to use a very dense mulch that keeps the soil temperature cooler and water them well. Almost every time you see a tomato plant wilt from lack of water it will drop most or all of its blooms in high temperatures. It is better to over water than under water until you get good fruit set and then you can ease off some. I find using TTF every week seems to increase fruit set in the heat as well as using a toothbrush in the mornings on the blooms before it gets too hot.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2015   #7
AZGardener
Tomatovillian™

Thanks b54red! Again- some varieties I haven't heard of. The Indian Stripes sound interesting? I hope this doesn't sound dumb BUT (ha!) what type of mulch do you use? I used a combination of things in my raised beds, including potting soil, and so when I think of mulch, I'm thinking the bags at the store with some wood chips in it? Also- what is TTF? I'm thinking Tomato Tone? Thanks for the info!
Old April 2, 2015   #8
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

TTF = Texas Tomato Food.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...89947451,d.eXY

Also add Black plum to the list along with early girl this year new to me is Black Prince.
So far it looks like a winner.
Red rocket does great and is early too.
And I will agree with the ones already mentioned.

Speckled roman is good.
Orange banana.
Any small fruited will do better.

Solar fire for the first time this year for me is doing great so far and is covered in blooms.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2015   #9
AZGardener
Tomatovillian™

Thank you Worth!! I have Black Plum, Black Mauri, and Black Cherry all growing too Is Solar Fire a hybrid? I'm looking up the TTF now... Wow! Looks pretty interesting. I use bat guano, fish emulsion, epsom salts, and egg shells already though? Hmmm perhaps this will be a separate post of fertilization. THANKS!!!
Old April 2, 2015   #10
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Yes solar fire is a hybrid what can I say.

I have no idea what it is like but I thought I would try it this year.

Worth.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2015   #11
AZGardener
Tomatovillian™

Lol- Worth1- I actually picked up Lemon Boy this year, JUST BECAUSE the plant looked super healthy and gorgeous on Jan 15 (Phx). So I put it in a 22 gal container and have been getting a tomato every 4-8 days. It will be interesting to see how it does in your garden compared to the others...

Tags
heat tolerant , short season