Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old December 29, 2016   #1
MissMoustache
Tomatovillian™

Location: Cold hardy zone 4b-5a, Heat zone 4-5, Sunset zone 43
Default What do you recommend?

I'm keeping busy drawing out the garden plan. If all goes well I'll be working on a patio garden. Growing lots of dwarf tomatoes in grow bags and pots, eggplants, and peppers in pots, and some potatoes and sweet potatoes in grow bags. I even have plans for fruit bushes and trees in pots.

I've been watching LOTS of gardening shows this last year. Since I sprained both wrists and wrecked my shoulder in the beginning of May all plans went out the window. I couldn't get in the things I wanted to. Couldn't dig. Couldn't weed. Couldn't mulch -my doctor told me to not even lift garden tools for months because of the injuries. I couldn't even drive!
Plus the probability is now that we're moving sometime in the next three years...I have a big change in my plans. I need to focus on having easy access and easy care things on the patio. I'm making the backyard garden layered/mulched no dig beds. Even if after I leave the neighbors want to go back to tilling this method will add a lot of fertility back to the soil.

A few of the shows I've been watching are British, one, her name is Vivi, she grows cherries for canning. So I'm thinking that most of those 8 spots will be cherries. They're fairly easy care, they're prolific, and every one in my home loves them raw or in fresh tomato soup or sauces.

So...what dwarf tomatoes should I plant? What cherries? Or prolific canning tomatoes? I must have Sungold and Black Cherry but I've grown those in pots with decent results.

I'm also going to try to grow different drying beans to see what we like to eat best. We like black beans, chickpeas, and beans in soup. Our season ranges from 140-160 days but I have ordered cowpots and plan to plant our drying beans a month early indoors to give me a headstart. Got any favorites I must try?

gwendolyninthegarden.blogspot.com
MissMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29, 2016   #2
maxjohnson
Tomatovillian™

No, but I'm just trying out microdwarf this season. Bought ten 2gallon grow bags and seeds for Tiny Tim, Red Robin and Totem. Also growing Dwarf Russian Swirl and Dwarf Purple Hearts.
maxjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29, 2016   #3
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Terrenzo is a hybrid red cherry I like. It's determinate. Lizzano is its sister variety that is indeterminate. I'm trying Esterina as my hybrid yellow cherry for next year. Sun Lemon is a huge yielder, but I am hoping Esterina will be sweeter. Green Doctor's Frosted is the best green when ripe cherry I have tasted. Green Tiger & Lucky Tiger are good, too. You can't go wrong with any of the Artisan cherries; they're all good.

I try to grow a saladette mix for market as well. Current members of the team include Juan Flamme, Esmerelda Golosina, Yamali Yellow, Bosque Blue Bumblebee, De Barao Orange, and Bola Maciza.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
canning , cherry , dwarf , kitchen garden , seed order