Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old June 19, 2016   #1
MuddyBuckets
Tomatovillian™

Default Help for overwintered Jalapeno

Overwintered a large jalapeno plant and it has been outside in a 5 gallon bucket now for 2 months. It is about 2' tall and has put out some 2"-3" peppers that are reasonably hot. Question is, why is it not producing any blooms? Weather has been in high 80s to low 90s, leaves are dark green, has been kept watered and weak 9-3-6 weekly. The plant is also not branching or growing taller, seems like it is stalled. Any suggestions or recommendations appreciated.
MuddyBuckets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19, 2016   #2
clkingtx
Tomatovillian™

How often do you water? It sounds like the plant is stressed. Does the 5 gal bucket have drainage holes? Do you allow the top 1-2 inches of soil to dry in between watering? Are they getting enough sun or too much sun? Do they have some sort of infestation? Peppers don't like staying wet all the time, and if conditions aren't right, they won't grow well. The good news is that as soon as you correct the problem, growth will resume.
Old June 20, 2016   #3
MuddyBuckets
Tomatovillian™

Bucket has drainage holes, water once a week but we had a lot of rain a few weeks ago. Morning sun and afternoon shade, no infestation or bugs of any kind. This is the same container it grew in last season with new media. Fingers crossed it starts blooming again. The few peppers from the plant were extremely hot. Thanks for the reply.
Old June 20, 2016   #4
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

I overwintered one and come spring it was the most pathetic thing I had ever seen. The stem looked almost rotten and it only had a couple of teeny tiny leaves barely a quarter in on it. I topped it down to about a foot, transplanted it. Gave it TT , espsom salt every other week and MG and while it took a couple of months before it started showing signs of life, it may be short, but it so full of foliage I can hardly see the peppers growing.

Once the temps hit the 90's I did give it some shade along with my other peppers and they appreciated it. They making blooms and setting fruit. I do shake my pepper plants everyday along with my tomatoes as there are only like 3 bees here.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2016   #5
MuddyBuckets
Tomatovillian™

That's good news, this old pepper plant may yet survive and be fruitful. I forgot about the epsom salt feedings, thanks for the reminder, going out to feed peppers right now.
Old June 20, 2016   #6
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

Don't overdo the epsom salts. They are salts.

And stop watering on a schedule. Water when the plant tells you it wants water. Either wait for wilting or start using a moisture meter.
dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2016   #7
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

For sure, don't put too much epsom salt. I wouldn't use more than a tsp for right now. Just to give the plant a kick start.

What type of soil and any amendments do you have in your container soil? I wonder if for your size container if your not giving the plant enough ferts? Your weak weekly seems to weak to me.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
container , jalapeno , not bloomming , overwinter , pepper