Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 11, 2018   #16
kenny_j
Tomatovillian™

Pink Berkley Tie Dye tomato. In full sun they suffer badly. I started growing under the north edge of a crab apple tree to protect from mid day sun, and they did super. One of the prettiest varieties out there, and the taste can be exceptional.
kenny_j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2018   #17
Koala Doug
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by taboule View Post
Doug, I'm curious about your comment

>>>...as I need to move them in and out of the garage at least twice a day.

I understand this is for early spring (and late fall?) when it's still cold, or during the entire season?

Thanks

For the entire season... it for protection against the deer. My yard is almost entirely shaded by large, mature trees (and the soil is heavy clay). The only spot in the yard that gets direct sun is a tiny patch of the driveway. That is where the plants grow and get their 4-5 hours of sun per day.

If I leave a plant out, the deer will eat it down completely (I've made this mistake more than once - and I'll never again tempt fate). So they need to be protected at night when the deer are free to move about the neighborhood. Hence, the garage storage.

Koala Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2018   #18
taboule
Tomatovillian™

OK and thanks for the explanation Doug. Deer is a menace everywhere they're available, they ate/chopped ~17 of my baby plants this year (see my garden 2018 thread.)

That's a lot of work that it would be nice to spend on something else if possible. Have you considered a small fence, out of metal netting, just to surround the pots permanently for the season. I created small individual ones to protect my lettuce from foraging rabbits last year, but for deer they'd have to be taller -even "covered" on top.

I just feel for you, I could never do this myself, consistently, everyday.

(Thanks for your nice words on the garden 2018 thread)
taboule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2018   #19
Koala Doug
Tomatovillian™

I've consider pretty much every option... and outside of moving (which is almost 100% likely in the future), the garage option is the only workable one.

As I mentioned in another thread, we all have our challenges to overcome when growing tomatoes (and other plants)!
Koala Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2018   #20
SpookyShoe
Tomatovillian™

Default What is full sun?

Doesn't it depend on where you live?

Donna, Texas Gulf Coast, where the sun doesn't fool around
SpookyShoe is offline   Reply With Quote