Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old June 2, 2018   #1
Jetstar
Tomatovillian™

Default First grow bag harvest of the year

Went out today with my scissors and harvested my 1st cuttings of leaf lettuce, enough for 2 + salads this lettuce had several varieties of lettuce can't wait for my first garden salad of the year Now what salad dressing Tastee or Ranch to top it off? So what good are fresh greens if you don't make a salad? You knew it had to happen ... I didn't grow it to look at it!! I Put some ranch dressing on it along with croutons and yes it sure was GOOD!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg leaf lettuce = Salad for two+ 002.jpg (467.2 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg Down the hatch! 001.jpg (450.8 KB, 86 views)
Jetstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2, 2018   #2
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

Oh, that looks so good! My lettuce is still too small, but maybe in a couple of weeks there will be some thinnings for a salad. Next to tomatoes and peppers, lettuce is third on my list of favorite garden treats!

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3, 2018   #3
Jetstar
Tomatovillian™

ddsack this was my first attempt to grow leaf lettuce in a grow bag, I started the plants from seed in the house. Even though some said I should thin them out before I put them in grow bags they did really well I really liked this lettuce it wasn't bitter at all, now as far as being a favorite its down near the bottom with tomatoes, peppers beans & peas, and cukes ahead of lettuce as my favorite. I'm thinking radishes will be the next harvest for me in the next week or two. Its gonna be some time before I see any tomatoes or peppers being in Wisconsin Zone 5 I expect mid July early August for my determinate tomatoes.
Jetstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3, 2018   #4
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

My favorite lettuce is a loose head batvia type called Nevada. It takes a bit longer to mature than leaf lettuces, but takes summer heat really well and does not get bitter as long as it gets lots of water. I'm trying a few new batavia types from a place I never ordered from before, so am anxious to see what they taste like.

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3, 2018   #5
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

I envy your lettuce. Baby ground hogs weaseled their way through my fence and ate all my beans and lettuce. I did get a harvest of snap peas, green onions, and mustard greens that I put with commercial lettuce for a salad.

Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote