Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old October 7, 2011   #1
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

Default Striped German?

Does anyone know what this variety is? Beautiful tomatoe, but Striped German does not appear on Tatiana's database.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Striped-Germ...item3a64e0a91e

Sorry, just found it here:

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/wiki/Striped_German

Any views on the suitability of this one for hot climates (Georgia)?
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7, 2011   #2
mcsee
Tomatovillian™

I'm growing it here at the moment and it should get to the 40C mark by the time the season is over for it around March.
mcsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7, 2011   #3
biscgolf
Tomatovillian™

it's an old virginia variety- not really that much difference between our weather and the weather in georgia...
biscgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7, 2011   #4
kygreg
Tomatovillian™

Last weekend I attended a seed exchange the Berea Mountain Agriculture Sustainability Center in Berea, KY. The host, Dr. Best, had fruits of this vareity he had grown. They were in the 12-30 oz range.
kygreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7, 2011   #5
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

It seems as though the large gold/red bicolors origininated in Germany or close by and were initially brought to this country by immigrant families.

And they've always been most prevalent in the SE and there are probably over 200 of them named and the general name of Candystripe is used for many of them not named.

My brother moved to NC several years ago and knowing my interest in heirloom varieties told me that his neighbor down the road had been growing one for a very long time and said his father before him had also grown it. But I politely declined my brother's offer to get seeds for me b'c I've already grown my share of those bicolors.

I'll lose this psot if I go back to read the link to Tania's page but my memory says that Johnny's first offered German Striped many years ago, or maybe not, as my memory goes, which it does from time to time.