Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old April 29, 2019   #1
IronPete
Tomatovillian™

Default Need help identifying a sweet pepper

Hi all!

A couple of years ago I saw a bag of sweet peppers at the local President's Choice store in the reduced bit and bought them. Apart from being really nice looking, long, red, sweet peppers they had on the package a line that read "maybe thw sweetest peppers in the world" on them that is quite a statement. They were very sweet and wonderful. I grew them the next year (2017) and they were great. This year I tried them again and was shocked at how quickly thry germinated compared to all my other peppers. Anyway, I was sleuthing on the web and found the article which I will link below that is clearly the same pepper. I just wondered if anyone knew of what this pepper is actually called as I am sure it didn't appear out of a vacuum at the seed seller's that Paul was visiting. The article has pictures and my peppers are exactly like the red ones in the picture.

https://www.thestar.com/life/food_wi..._stuffing.html

Thanks and any help will be appreciated! Pete

Iron Pete

"We can agree to disagree."
IronPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2019   #2
TC_Manhattan
Tomatovillian™

They sell them at my local food markets, and always labeled as "Ancient Sweets".

A new one for me is a yellow w/red stripes bell pepper, sold under the name of "Aloha Pepper." Thick walls, juicy, and I think even sweeter than the Ancient Sweets. Different though. They have only just begun to show up for sale in my area.

Have not tried to grow either from seed.
I think there is a thread here somewhere about trying to save seeds/grow out the striped bell peppers and as memory serves me, no one had luck getting a striped pepper. Must be a hybrid.

Any chance the Ancient Sweets might be either Joelene's Italian Red pepper, or Stocky Red Roaster? Fusion_power (Darrel) grows these and was the one to introduce me to them. Both great sweet peppers. Joelene's is a bit crinkled while Stocky Red Roaster grows with smooth walls.

You can read a little bit about them here:
https://www.wildgardenseed.com/index.php?cPath=80
TC_Manhattan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2019   #3
IronPete
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for responding, TCM! I saved seeds and grew them exactly as the original from those seeds so I don't thing they are a hybrid. They look a lot like the Early Perfect Italian on that page you listed except they tend to have a slight curve and are long (8-10"?). Reimer seeds has one called Spanish Sweet or something that it may be except their picture isn't the best so its hard to tell. Pete

Iron Pete

Old April 29, 2019   #4
IronPete
Tomatovillian™

I wonder if it is simply a Red Marconi? Here is a link to a page that has those:
https://www.incredibleseeds.ca/colle...nt=32783231179

Pete

Iron Pete

Old May 2, 2019   #5
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

Grown hydroponically at large scale. Yeah, there's no chance in hell it's not a hybrid.
It's the Palermo line from Rijk Zwaan btw.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote