Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old March 23, 2009   #1
duajones
Tomatovillian™

Default Possible problem?

Noticed this leaf conditon on two plants, Hege German Pink and Stump of the World, one RL and one PL plant. New leaves appear to be slow to grow and have some yellowing around the edges. HGP has been a lighter shade of green from the get go but appeared to be healthy overall. There is a plant between these two that doesnt appear to be affected. Any ideas?

Sorry the pics arent better quality
Attached Images
File Type: jpg leafproblem.jpg (258.8 KB, 139 views)
File Type: jpg leafproblem2.jpg (202.9 KB, 116 views)
Old March 24, 2009   #2
duajones
Tomatovillian™

Looks like no one has any thoughts on this and the pictures probably werent much help. I am very concerned about this and will keep a close eye on these plants over the next few days. I dont want to have to pull them but wont hesitate if it will save my other plants
Old March 24, 2009   #3
Tania
Tomatovillian™

Duane,

I have seen this before, but I am still clueless as to what may be causing it. A few years back I concluded it was 'environmental', as it did not seem to spread around, but I cannot be sure. This only happened to me for container-grown plants. So maybe stress-related or fertilizer-related issue?

Would be interesting to hear other theories about what this may be.

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Tania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24, 2009   #4
duajones
Tomatovillian™

It was suggested at GW that it may be TYLCV and after looking at more pics, it appears that may be what it is. If so, I am devastated and unsure of what to do. Should I go ahead and remove those two plants? And what should I do to prevent further infection?
Old March 24, 2009   #5
Vince
Tomatovillian™

Maybe Over watering?
Old March 24, 2009   #6
duajones
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_chemist View Post
Maybe Over watering?

No sir, the plants have only recieved 1/2 inche of rain plus a light watering since planting other than watering them in at planting time. That and a foliar spray of fish emulsion not long ago
Old March 24, 2009   #7
Polar_Lace
Tomatovillian™

Hey Duane!

When I looked at your plants in a close up view; I saw White Fly's and other bugs on your plants! They could be the cause of your problems. White Flies carrry alot of unknown dieases.

Take a good look, close up of the pictures above that you posted.

~* Robin
Old March 24, 2009   #8
kwselke
Tomatovillian™

Duane,

I've seen the same thing a couple of times on my plants. The only thing I've figured out was that it might have been caused by letting the plants become root bound. I have no idea if this is your case or any other comment about a solution.
kwselke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24, 2009   #9
duajones
Tomatovillian™

I must be blind because I cant see any bugs on the plants, but thank you for pointing that out. It seems more and more that the problem may be TYLCV and I will probably pull the plants. I shook every plant in my garden today and didnt see any signs of white flies but will treat for them anyway as I have seen a few when I touch blossoms with my electric toothbrush

Last edited by duajones; March 24, 2009 at 07:10 PM.
duajones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24, 2009   #10
duajones
Tomatovillian™

I am leaning strongly to pulling the plants tomorrow morning in trying to protect my remaining plants, which of some could already be affected as well. Nutrient deficiencies has also been pointed out to me as a possibility but I have a hard time understanding why it would only show up on 2 plants so far. I did give the two plants a foliar and soil application of seaweed and epsom salts this afternoon. I realize that if it is a nutrient problem it would take some time for results of fert feedings to show up. But again I dont know if I want to risk the other plants by leaving them in place. I am pooling info from here and GW to aid me in my decision and plan to call the local extension again tomorrow and see if they offer any info or advice. May even look into sending a sample to some lab to get tested for peace of mind. Frankly, I dont know what to do but everything I have read about TLCV leads me to pulling the plants now versus waiting. I do plan to purchase some Neem oil or insecticidal soap, and also plan to put up some yellow sticky traps for future use to try and minimize problems. I can only hope that my other plants arent affected and if so, just a few. It would break my heart to lose many more plants.
Old March 25, 2009   #11
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Duane, might try spraying your plants with a aspirin solution. Won't hurt and might just help. Ami
Old March 25, 2009   #12
dice
Tomatovillian™

TYLCV shows purplish veins on the underside of the curled
leaves:
http://www.umanitoba.ca/afs/hort_inq...leaf_roll.html
Old March 25, 2009   #13
Barbee
Tomatovillian™

From the pics, it appears that it's affecting just the one branch and it's new growth. Is that correct?
Not that I have an answer, I'm just learning along with you.
Old March 25, 2009   #14
duajones
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by dice View Post
TYLCV shows purplish veins on the underside of the curled
leaves:
http://www.umanitoba.ca/afs/hort_inq...leaf_roll.html

I dont see the purplish veins but all else points to TYLCV

Barbee, it is effecting more than one branch, and yes it appears to be effecting new growth
Old March 25, 2009   #15
duajones
Tomatovillian™

I was able to contact the local extension agent this morning. Said he wasnt that familiar with TYLCV and hasnt seen it since he was in school in Hawaii. Asked me to send him pics of the plants and he is supposed to get back to me. Based on what he tells me, I will probably send a sample to Texas A&M to get tested. He estimated the cost at 35 or 45 dollars. I just want peace of mind