Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old April 25, 2016   #16
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

I see that my seedlings are getting their second set of leaves.Todays temps are around 80 and we're expecting some more of that this week.Are they to young to take out in the shade for an hour or so to get some natural light and a little wind.I don't have a fan that I could put on them and have been running my fingers over the tops ever day.Just wondering what most of you do.It will be 2 weeks that they germinated this wednesday. Last thing I want to do is harm them.
cjp1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26, 2016   #17
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

cjp, I don't recall that you said how far your lights are above the plants. They need to be close - real close. You won't harm your plants by petting them, but I don't do it under lights because I can't get my hand in between the lights and the plants. A fan would do the job of strengthening the stems, though I understand that the satisfaction won't be the same.

Be careful when you say "second set of leaves". The first "leaves" are not true leaves but cotyledons. If they only have the cots and are setting the first true leaves, they are still pretty delicate. But if you can find a protected corner with bright shade, they will surely appreciate the outing.

Good luck!

Dennis
dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27, 2016   #18
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmforcier View Post
cjp, I don't recall that you said how far your lights are above the plants. They need to be close - real close. You won't harm your plants by petting them, but I don't do it under lights because I can't get my hand in between the lights and the plants. A fan would do the job of strengthening the stems, though I understand that the satisfaction won't be the same.

Be careful when you say "second set of leaves". The first "leaves" are not true leaves but cotyledons. If they only have the cots and are setting the first true leaves, they are still pretty delicate. But if you can find a protected corner with bright shade, they will surely appreciate the outing.

Good luck!

Dennis
Light is an inch above them.A few are touching the bulbs.Thanks for your advice.I can wait another week and watch the weather.
Old April 27, 2016   #19
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

Been under the weather with a cold the last day and just checked my tomato seedlings.A couple where laying down as the peat pots dried out.They did not look shriveled up just laying over.I watered them from the bottom with warm water.Hoping they come back.The rest of them looked great.
Old April 27, 2016   #20
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

I'm more familiar with how peppers deal with wilt: they don't mind it at all. Tomatoes are in the same family so they should handle it well too. You should be okay.
dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote