Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discuss your tips, tricks and experiences growing and selling vegetables, fruits, flowers, plants and herbs.

Old August 13, 2013   #16
joseph
Tomatovillian™

We have a guy at our market that brings a great crop that nobody else is able to produce in large quantity. The market staff complains about him because he didn't grow them on his farm... He is the foreman at a farm, and the farm gives him vegetables as part of his pay... So the guy plants the vegetables, and weeds them, and picks them, and brings them to market so that the market staff can give him trouble because he doesn't own the farm that they were grown on. Sheesh...

We have one fruit stand here that is as crooked at they come. Their working definition of local is anything that was grown on planet Earth.
joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13, 2013   #17
Keger
Tomatovillian™

Just got off the phone with the market folks. They said they really don't care and I shouldn't worry about it. OK, says I.
Keger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13, 2013   #18
tlintx
Tomatovillian™

I actually thought we had two kinds of "farmer's markets" down here. Local, green, foodie types and "fell off the back of the truck super cheap basically what you'd buy at HEB" types.

Come up to our local Grogan's Mill market. Only around two grand to get your foot in the door!

By the way, I successfully grew kale over the last few months in a SIP on a very small scale. It was the Russian blue. Don't know if it tasted as good as it would in the fall since I didn't eat any, but it definitely grew (after sulking for a while).

Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph View Post
I visit a lot of farms. Even in Texas, the price of air conditioning a hydroponic greenhouse is small compared to the income that can be derived from growing local out-of-season vegetables. Evaporative cooling can provide around 15 F reduction in peak daytime temperatures even with the high relative humidity in Richmond. Sometimes I can achieve with genetics what my fellow farmers can achieve with technology, but usually technology wins.
Is there any chance you could start a new thread about techniques for cooling things down? I had read that evaporative cooling was useless in Houston. Since my primary focus is on greens for salads, I'd really love any edge for spinach and lettuice.
tlintx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13, 2013   #19
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlintx View Post
Is there any chance you could start a new thread about techniques for cooling things down? I had read that evaporative cooling was useless in Houston. Since my primary focus is on greens for salads, I'd really love any edge for spinach and lettuice.
If you have read then you should know that the higher the humidity the less evaporative cooling works.

The farther south you go in Texas the higher humidity gets.

You can bring your shoes and clothes from arid West Texas to Houston and mold will start to grow on them.
It seems as though all of those dormant mold spores grow at once.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13, 2013   #20
tlintx
Tomatovillian™

I know, I know. Plant at the right time, plant appropriate varieties...

But I want home grown lettuce in August.

I am actually having some success with chards, kale, and asian greens in small trays in the shade, well watered! But no lettuce. I wonder if I germinated it inside... see, this is why we need a new thread! Because hope springs eternal, just like mildew!
tlintx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13, 2013   #21
Keger
Tomatovillian™

tl...... I have lettuce growing in tubs under grow lights right now, its ok, just aint the same. Nothing I would sell.

I guess its that old don't fool with mother nature deal. But on Sept 15, in go the lettuce seeds.
Old August 13, 2013   #22
Keger
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph View Post
We have a guy at our market that brings a great crop that nobody else is able to produce in large quantity. The market staff complains about him because he didn't grow them on his farm... He is the foreman at a farm, and the farm gives him vegetables as part of his pay... So the guy plants the vegetables, and weeds them, and picks them, and brings them to market so that the market staff can give him trouble because he doesn't own the farm that they were grown on. Sheesh...

We have one fruit stand here that is as crooked at they come. Their working definition of local is anything that was grown on planet Earth.
I guess unless you have really clear rules and a manger that isn't afraid to use the hammer that's just how it is.

All kidding aside, I just don't see how that helps us out. As usual, I guess the marketplace will decide.
Old August 13, 2013   #23
joseph
Tomatovillian™

Yup, evaporative cooling has it's limits. (There is basically no evaporative cooling potential in Houston during the night, only during the hottest part of the day which is when the plants need it.) After those limits are breached then you have to resort to conventional air-conditioning, or to a hybrid system in which you dehumidify the air prior to evaporative cooling. The cooling required for plants to do well is not the same type of cooling as would keep people comfortable.

One time after a trip I opened my suitcase. It had been packed in Missouri with freshly laundered clothes. Oh my heck!!!! I washed everything in the suitcase before I would put it on. The mold smell was unbearable to me.

Last edited by joseph; August 13, 2013 at 04:40 PM.
joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16, 2013   #24
loulac
Tomatovillian™

Default Dear Farmers Market Vendors

Dear Farmers Market Vendors

I accidentally fell upon this thread and haven’t yet been able to find an answer to my question : does “dear” mean farmers are loved by customers, or does it mean their prices are outrageous ? If someone can throw a light…

It’s a long time since I had the opportunity to visit a vegetable market in the States so I won’t pass a judgment, just say what a European customer expects to find on a producer only vegetable market.

The origin of the products on sale should be clearly indicated.
Were they grown with fertilizers, pesticides, or compost and manure ? maybe organic ?
Beware of too perfect products! a huge lettuce will be full of nitrates and tasteless, apples with perfect skins have received lots of pesticides.

A good local producer can’t have the lowest prices. He picks up his products only when they are ready to be eaten, it takes longer hours of work. If he uses fertilizers and pesticides sparingly or not at all he will have a lower output and more loss.
Having a talk with the producer is the best way to make one’s opinion. If he sees a customer is really interested in what he sells he will be happy to give details about his work.
loulac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16, 2013   #25
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by loulac View Post
Dear Farmers Market Vendors

I accidentally fell upon this thread and haven’t yet been able to find an answer to my question : does “dear” mean farmers are loved by customers, or does it mean their prices are outrageous ? If someone can throw a light…

It is just the formal beginning to an open letter. A kind of "Dear sirs,". You couldn't tell the tone until reading the letter for context.

In this case the context doesn't seem too loving! Lots of sarcasm!

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23, 2013   #26
lorimcp
Tomatovillian™

I am in middle Indiana and southern Indiana has a significantly different climate. Our FM tends to have heirloom tomatoes and melons brought up from there a month or so earlier than we would have them here in Indy. In fact there are some melons that aren't even grown in our area (Vincennes Melon . I am really glad they do that however, I look forward to it. I would hate to get all picky and say 'if it's not within 50 miles then you can't have it here'.

If fact, others bring the treats up, they don't own the farm.

It was such a great Summer here, I've had lettuce all summer !!
lorimcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27, 2013   #27
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Beware of too perfect products! a huge lettuce will be full of nitrates and tasteless, apples with perfect skins have received lots of pesticides.
I wish my customers thought that way. But American consumers have been conditioned to believe that produce should look perfect and taste bland.

I refuse to sell anything that I don't think is good to eat. But I have much different standards than the typical customer. My tomatoes have to taste good enough for me to eat them and look good enough for the customer to buy them. It is a difficult standard to maintain, especially when competing for the early tomato market. I give up the first 2-3 weeks of sales, because I refuse to pick green tomatoes and gas them with ethylene. They look ok and they sell well, but gassed tomatoes taste horrible, like pink sandy mush.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28, 2013   #28
loulac
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Cole Robbie wrote : American consumers have been conditioned to believe that produce should look perfect and taste bland.
Don't despair, Cole ! I think there is an evolution in mentalities. There is now somewhere in Tomatoville a thread complainig about US cattle being shot with hormones and health consequences on people. Quite refreshing after many years of European bashing as they (we) refused to import that kind of beef from the States. I'm sure that when people have tasted your tomatoes they will think twice before buying the cheapest brand in the nearest supermarket.
I've just found the thread I'm talking about : "Antibiotics in our food" http://www.tomatoville.com/showthrea...t=30138&page=2

Last edited by loulac; September 28, 2013 at 03:47 AM. Reason: adding a reference
loulac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3, 2013   #29
Keger
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Don't despair, Cole ! I think there is an evolution in mentalities. There is now somewhere in Tomatoville a thread complainig about US cattle being shot with hormones and health consequences on people. Quite refreshing after many years of European bashing as they (we) refused to import that kind of beef from the States. I'm sure that when people have tasted your tomatoes they will think twice before buying the cheapest brand in the nearest supermarket.
I've just found the thread I'm talking about : "Antibiotics in our food" http://www.tomatoville.com/showthrea...t=30138&page=2
I aint saying nuthin .......
Old October 3, 2013   #30
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

[QUOTE=loulac;377325]Don't despair, Cole ! I think there is an evolution in mentalities. There is now somewhere in Tomatoville a thread complainig about US cattle being shot with hormones and health consequences on people. Quite refreshing after many years of European bashing as they (we) refused to import that kind of beef from the States. I'm sure that when people have tasted your tomatoes they will think twice before buying the cheapest brand in the nearest supermarket.
I've just found the thread I'm talking about : "Antibiotics in our food" http://www.tomatoville.com/showthrea...t=30138&page=2[/QUOTE

Don't look at me I know better.

There is a phrase that used to go around and it fits perfectly when you hear that USA food is better than European food or drugs.

"You dont expect me to swallow that tripe do you".

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote