Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion for successfully cultivating potatoes, the world's fourth largest crop.

Old December 1, 2011   #16
Mark0820
Tomatovillian™

The potatoes are looking good! Is this your first time growing Blue Diamond? I will be interested to see what you think of them.
Mark0820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2, 2011   #17
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark0820 View Post
The potatoes are looking good! Is this your first time growing Blue Diamond? I will be interested to see what you think of them.
No i had a good crop last season Mark,they grew well ,but not a large potato and a taste of 7 out of 10,still it and nothing else has matched Moie moie yet for flavour.
Medbury Gardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14, 2011   #18
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

The growing season so far would have to be the best for a number of years,we normally dont get a lot of rain in summer here so i need to use ground water for irrigation but so far there has been some good rainfall which for some reason has helped for better growth than when using irrigation.

In the photo below to the left of the concrete path is the potato growing area that is broken up into 4 sections which are rotated yearly,in 1 is this season main planting block which are currnetly been mulched from the oats grown in 2, in the area 3 is the residual left over potatoes from last season and so this season i'm digging out every single one so this then will be the area grown in oats for mulching next season.
Area 4 was an area that i dug under all the (greened, cut,missed etc) from last seasons main spud block,these give us our first early potatoes of which we've been digging now for the last two weeks,next season this area will be the one to be cleared out of any last residual potatoes,by digging early little is left over come this time next season.

Old December 14, 2011   #19
wmontanez
Tomatovillian™

Are you able to have left over potatoes overwinter in the ground? How awesome. The patch is looking great.
Old December 15, 2011   #20
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmontanez View Post
Are you able to have left over potatoes overwinter in the ground? How awesome. The patch is looking great.
Thanks Wendy

Could you not do the same where you are??
Old December 15, 2011   #21
wmontanez
Tomatovillian™

I have found some deep tubers in the spring but here the ground freezes ...i might experiment that this season with late potatoes.
Old December 15, 2011   #22
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

Some kind of mulch might help protect them a bit better maybe?,i find that any spuds close the top will get hit by frost but anything under 2cm or about an inch will come away in spring
Old February 16, 2012   #23
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

Check out the size of those i dug out today

Catriona (in cm)

Old February 17, 2012   #24
Mark0820
Tomatovillian™

Those are some very nice looking spuds!
Mark0820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17, 2012   #25
wmontanez
Tomatovillian™

Excellent. Never heard of Catriona, how is the taste of that?
Old February 17, 2012   #26
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

Yes nice tasting spud

For the ten years ive been growing Catriona its always thrown a range of colours or a lack of colour to be precise,Catriona should have pink eyes and slight pink on its end,the plants in the photo only had a very small amount pink but no pink eyes.
We've had one of the coolest/cloudiest summers for over 40+years as well as little rain, so its been a great season for potatoes ,not of corn though

Looking at the entire potato growing area its the area at the far end in front of the tunnelhouse thats been dug at the moment,these are what regrew from the previous seasons left overs

Old February 19, 2012   #27
OneDahlia
Tomatovillian™

Beautiful potatoes, and what a lovely property!
OneDahlia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2012   #28
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

why thank you

Old April 5, 2012   #29
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

I was lucky enough to be given three other different venerations of the Moei moie from Ceasarz,they weren't really grown in a ideal spots,a fish bin.Next season i'll plant them in amoung the rest of main block of potatoes so the size should be a lot better this time next year.

Ive named just as Moie moie 1,2 & 3.

Moie moie 1

Moie moie 3 was the only one of three that produced berries so these have been harvested and i'll send some onto Wendy,#3 is more round than #2 even though they are the same colour.

Old April 14, 2012   #30
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

Time to start digging the seasons crop and get it into the shed before weeds take over,frist ive got to get the last of last seasons main block,these are the volunteers which has kept in potatoes since early summer,this is the first crate and should be two more of these crates before i start on this seasons block.The seasons been so good for production that i'm only brothering with the larger spuds, so there's heaps of smaller ones are going into the compost instead.

Cocoon Khuchi Khuchi (is that the right name Tom??) it didnt do well last season,but then i didn't know then that first year grown TPS seedlings don't tend to grow very big.This year a lot bigger,so i'm now wondering if this is as big as they will get (7cm long)

Cara (from Tomaat) i'm amazed how many berries its grown,i thought Mystery grew a lot but this .... Cara is a amazingly high productive potato.