Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discuss your tips, tricks and experiences growing and selling vegetables, fruits, flowers, plants and herbs.

Old April 5, 2011   #1
JackE
Tomatovillian™

Default Mini-tiller/Cultivators

Just wondering if other market gardeners use mini-tiller/cultivators like we do - and what kind they use - and how they hold-up for y'all. Most of our volunteer labor is older ladies who can't handle the big rear-tine tiller, so we have developed the following weed-control system over several years.

We use mini-tillers with bolo tines for row cultivation. You can get real close to small plants (especially if you tilt it a little so it stays shallow on the plant side). It leaves a nicely culivated foot-wide swath on each side of the row, and we follow behind that with a wheel hoe. The wheel hoe pusher-person lays as much dirt as possible to the row WITHOUT covering the plants, thereby smothering all the little weed seedlings between the plants within the row itself. That leaves a remaining band of weed seedlings down the middles, which we treat later with herbicide. With two people this is VERY fast! We can do an acre faster than my neighbor with his FarmAll (he spends most the time trying to get his blades adjusted right LOL)

Needless to say, these little tillers aren't designed for the hard use we give them, and they don't last very long. We presently have three of them that run (and a big pile that don't run LOL) - a DR with electric start ($400), a Stihl Professional ($350 10 yrs ago), and an Earthquake ($200). The DR and Earthquake (which are identical except for the electric start) have the best design - they have a drag bar and long-bladed tines that don't leave an untilled space where the transmission is - but they just don't hold-up. Our volunteer ladies like the electric start feature on the DR.

The Stihl is by far the most durable - designed for hard, every day service by commercial landscapers and professional gardeners. But it has a lousy design -it has no drag bar and the bolo tines are too short. It leaves a 2" wide space in the middle and you have to make another pass. The wheels (optional kit) are useless at least for us, and we have to run it it without wheels (they stick-out beyond the tines and run over the crop!) We rarely use it for these reasons - BUT, it's a super tough, top quality, professional machine. And it can be serviced and repaired by the local chain saw store instead of being thrown-away after a year or two like the others. Despite it's bad design, we can depend on it when all the others are broken down.

I sure wish we could find a high grade mini-tiller/cultivator that has the Stihl quality with the DR design. Anybody know of one? If it holds-up, price isn't really all that important.

Jack

I should add - by way of edit - that all these little tillers do a better job if pulled backwards, even the Stihl. It's too strenuous and very tiring for us, but a good technique for a small gardener who has to break-up a small area of hard ground (using Mantis-type tines, not bolos).

Our soil is soft and loose. Before anything is planted, the whole field has been deeply tilled with a large tractor-mounted tiller.

Last edited by JackE; April 5, 2011 at 09:41 PM.
JackE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2011   #2
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Why not try the Mantis with the Honda engine that doesn't need the oil/gas mix. I got one last year and have worked it very hard and it is an amazingly tough little bugger. Due to health reasons I can no longer use my full sized tiller so I got the Mantis and have been very happy with it. I think they make a larger model that will till a wider path. When the tines are turned around it does an amazing job of weeding or working in fertilizer etc. into the top few inches and it does it really fast. When doing deep tilling the Mantis does a much better job when being pulled backwards but for weeding I much prefer going forward to avoid digging too deep.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1000753.jpg (33.8 KB, 16 views)
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2011   #3
huntoften
Tomatovillian™

They look like a toy, but I have been VERY impressed with the Troy Bilt Electric tiller. You need a power source and a heavy extension cord, but this mini tiller will get the job done. Never worry about starting it, just push the button, lift the lever and it goes. Super quiet and every bit as powerful as my mantis I sold when I bought this.

At Lowe's it' about $20 cheaper than on their site...well worth the money.

http://www.troybilt.com/webapp/wcs/s...13804_54974_-1
Old April 6, 2011   #4
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I don't like dragging power cords around and I have too many accidents with them. I use one for my large hedge and a very long extension cord which gets a little shorter and more patched each time I do the hedge.
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2011   #5
JackE
Tomatovillian™

I'll take another look at Mantis. I had one when they first came out, but didn't have much use for it in those days. I thought they still just had that one small model - that's what they still show in their tv commercials. When I had one, they only had those cutting tines - bolos are better for cultivation in loose, friable soils like ours. I'm going to their website right now and check-out their new line.

Jack
Old April 6, 2011   #6
lurley
Tomatovillian™

Gardeners Supply carried one years ago but I don't know who made it, I loved it and it was stolen from my shed after only a year. Went to get another and they no longer carried it. Since then I have used a 4cyl Honda that has separate gas and oil. It has held up well for several years although now there is an issue with it cutting out and dying if I give it full throttle. Should be a simple repair though, maybe the wiring? My neighbor is going to give it a look see. Think I bought it at the Home Depot for about $320
lurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2011   #7
JackE
Tomatovillian™

Hey, that 16" Mantis 4-cycle really looks good! I just worry about those "serpentine" (that's what they call 'em) tines though. I just might order one of those tillers - for sure when one of these breaks -- which won't be long! :-)

I have one of the new 4-cycle engines on my Stihl pole/limb saw - it still needs oil in the gas, though. Also kinda hard to start - lotta compression. I'm not real wild about it.

Jack
Old April 6, 2011   #8
Colorado_west
Tomatovillian™

I have troy gas. Really have not used it much. Trying to figure out how. Thanks JackE. I wish it was electric start like the Troy tiller. I had to lay it down and put my foot on to be able to pull the rope. Not long enough reach and strength to do other wise. It started that way. You have to get weedss before very big I know that.
Colorado_west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2011   #9
JackE
Tomatovillian™

Yeah, some of these new 4 cycle mini-engines are really hard to turn over. I have to put the pole saw on the ground like you say, and then pull with all my might! They need a compression release button like my chain saw has - closes automatically the moment the engine fires.

Jack
Old July 19, 2011   #10
hillbillyBob
Tomatovillian™

Ilike my Mantis it light and easy to use,I'm wheelchair bound and I can use this tiller easy,worth every cent. they have a great money-back plan if you don't like it after a year you call them they will buy -it back from you
hillbillyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19, 2011   #11
Stepheninky
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by b54red View Post
I don't like dragging power cords around and I have too many accidents with them. I use one for my large hedge and a very long extension cord which gets a little shorter and more patched each time I do the hedge.
Kinda off topic but for hedges I just switched to the new Black and decker 18v cordless one from my gas one and it is light no cord to fool with and handles the job great. Battery last a long time too they are about $120 but go on sale a lot at the box stores for $99 or so. an extra battery is $38.

As for tillers I use a Troy built front tine and it does a great jib and starts easy. I do not have experience with the mini cultivator as I have the small one that attaches to the 4 cycle weed eater but it also works really well but is a bit heavy to handle
Old July 19, 2011   #12
Keiththibodeaux
Tomatovillian™

I have a Mantis, original model. Over 10 years old, used and abused, and still going.
Keiththibodeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19, 2011   #13
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

I too have a Mantis, two years old and doing fine. I also had one in the UK before we returned to Canada in 2000.It was 8 years old when we left and still going strong.

XX Jeannine
Jeannine Anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19, 2011   #14
peppero
Tomatovillian™

i have an old ryobi 2090r pro model 2 stroke trimmer with a tiller attachment which i rarely use mostly because i got out of the habit. it works very well and i have never stalled it out as the engine is quite powerful. my ground is in very good condition as i have been working with it for 35 years. i can recommend these little machines as the do a fine job if used right. jon
peppero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2011   #15
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Armadillos do a good job for me and their environmentally friendly.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote