Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discuss your tips, tricks and experiences growing and selling vegetables, fruits, flowers, plants and herbs.

Old October 28, 2010   #16
freelancer79d
Tomatovillian™

Good luck on you endeavors mich04.
freelancer79d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31, 2010   #17
Bama mater
Tomatovillian™

Wordwiz, You will also need alot of help (Planting, Stringing, Picking, Distributing). I've sold maters for the past 2 seasons and I grow mostly heirlooms and OP maters, but I only grow approx 500 plants and do all the work myself and still work a 40hr a week job. When I sell at the local farmers market I'm the only one with heirlooms everybody else has tons of red tomatos and sell for about $1 a lb. I get $3 a lb for the hierlooms and also sell to several local Chefs. I just think it would be tough to compete with the reg red tomato market unless you go big (over 10,000 plants) and then that would be your only job.
Bama mater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20, 2010   #18
JackE
Tomatovillian™

Our clientele is very unsophisticated. They basically judge our tomatoes by Wal-Mart standards. As long as they're round and red, they'll buy 'em - and wouldn't pay one cent more for a gorgeous, perfect, delicious Brandywine than a plain-old Celebrity determinate hybrid picked half green and ripened with ethylene gas!

So it all depends on your market. Heirlooms would be a waste of time for us.

Jack
JackE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20, 2010   #19
Bama mater
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackE View Post
They basically judge our tomatoes by Wal-Mart standards. As long as they're round and red, they'll buy 'em - and wouldn't pay one cent more for a gorgeous, perfect, delicious Brandywine than a plain-old Celebrity determinate hybrid picked half green and ripened with ethylene gas!

Jack
YUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Bama mater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21, 2010   #20
JackE
Tomatovillian™

:-) -- Well, we are a charity operating in a poor and minority community and our clients aren't exactly gourmets. And, around here, even our more affluent benefactors think "Brandywine" is some sort of cocktail drink.

So, our emphasis is on production and labor factors - ease of harvest, quantity, appearance (which is numero uno), disease resistance, thick skin for handling, cracking and BER resistance, etc etc. They do taste a little better than Wally World toms, since they mostly ripen on the vine, but taste is quite a ways down the line when we choose varieties. If we match Wal-Mart quality, we have accomplished our goal.

TSWV forced us into some varieties that didn't even taste as good as Wal-Mart (Amelia) and most of our customers never even knew the difference (a few did). Hopefully, TSWV is behind us for a while.

My point is, variety selection all depends on each growers market. That's why there are literally thousands of tomato cultivars.

Jack
JackE is offline   Reply With Quote