Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion for successfully cultivating potatoes, the world's fourth largest crop.

Old April 28, 2010   #1
wmontanez
Tomatovillian™

Default Potatoes for the tropics?

I have been trying to interest people in a forum from the Caribbean particularly Puerto Rico to grow potatoes. Most of the trials are complete failure, the plant succumb to blight, all kinds of tuberworm, canterpillar moth attacks and the plants lose all foliage after about just 2 months. Not enough to get a crop just only new potatoes.

Does anyone know what kind or recommend a particular variety that might stand a chance of the tropical weather? We have average temp in the summer 95F and winter 75F but it rains almost every day. I even asked my 75 years old father to do some experiments with TPS from my unknown purple potato to see if they start to adapt to that weather... but I am afraid it may not the best choice for the climate there.

I appreciate any help!
Old April 29, 2010   #2
Tom Wagner
Crosstalk™ Forum Moderator

I don't think I'll take the time to answer this question fully for the moment...

Outside of the GMO potato with the Bt gene inserted....tuber moth resistance is sketchy in other normal lines but I have a number of lines from around the world that have been reported to have better tuber moth resistance. I also have many lines now of my own and from other areas that have good late blight resistance...and some with root knot nematode tolerance and many lines now with the trichome hairs that repel insect feeding. Along with higher foliar levels of solanine (glycoalkaloids) that don't move into the tubers/

I have a lot of lowland tropical varieties of potatoes that may work but since I am breeding the trichome hairs, Late Blight res and the other genes necessary for what you want for the Carribean....I may have something good to go this fall.

I would suggest a sampling of about 10 to twenty clones, maybe single tubers representing the gamut of things to test for. Let me know if anyone would be interested in such a project..

This fall I will have some good seedling tubers that should show the trichome hairs and will be tested for late blight tolerance. The tropical varieties in my crosses with late blight res. may be good candidates. The crosses of those with high foliage solanine will be attempted in crosses this year and maybe I will have an assortment of true seed representing the best of what I have for now and a test in your home territory would be a great invite. Maybe I could find a cooperator down there this year and even find the money to visit the plot. Find a sponsor who will allow me stay in their house while I am there....hint....hint.

Tom Wagner
Tom Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2010   #3
wmontanez
Tomatovillian™

GMO is not an option, I am an organic gardener But I am really interested in the fall varieties that you have to offer particularly TPS from those with high foliage solanine, trichome hairs and blight resistance. TPS is easier to keep and introduce to the area where tubers may be a problem to get through the department of agriculture unless is certified seed. I don’t know anybody that is working with potatoes in the Island in medium to large scale; I only contacted some organic hobby or small scale gardeners like me. But I could try to grow them in my dad’s land and find a sponsor housing for your visit. We could work on the details later.

As always I learn so much reading your posts! And appreciate your willingness to share the knowledge. Thanks Tom!

Wendy
Old May 11, 2010   #4
phicks48
Tomatovillian™

i grow late winter taters here in central florida paul
phicks48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2010   #5
wmontanez
Tomatovillian™

What varieties?
Old May 13, 2010   #6
phicks48
Tomatovillian™

one called Zolushka that i grew fromTPS seeds a year back and youkon gold. wherein ♪♫♪♫♪♫ Are You i grew up there and spend some of my life there . i grew many a poatoe in Hanson mass to . Pul
Old May 13, 2010   #7
phicks48
Tomatovillian™

d look to see what kind of white potatos there growingin cuba i do know they grow a lot there paul
Old May 13, 2010   #8
phicks48
Tomatovillian™

try this one Skagit Valley Gold
Old May 13, 2010   #9
wmontanez
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by phicks48 View Post
try this one Skagit Valley Gold
thanks, i got Skagit Valley Gold from Tom this year. Will see if I get TPS to try in Puerto Rico also!