Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

SETTFest™ event information and discussion forum. South East Texas Tomato Fest

Old June 23, 2014   #16
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by greentiger87 View Post
I couldn't possibly bring the tomatoes... I grow less than 10 plants a year, at least half are hybrids, and the rest are boring tried and true heirlooms.

But I'd be happy to do the other logistics, and paying for the pavilion rental / paper goods is no problem. I would pay a lot more than that to taste tomatoes that I would never be able to grow myself, and pick the brains of the experts. It would be great if I could team up with at least one other person though. This would be for NEXT year of course.

Given that no one knows me, and I've never met anyone here in person, I'm not sure anyone would want to come to a tomato tasting hosted by me alone

Also, I'm 26. And Indian. From looking at the pictures, I'd stick out just a little That's fine with me, it's par the course for a lot of my interests. I have to ask though, if anyone thinks that will be an issue for the group. Hopefully that question doesn't offend anyone, it stems from a prior bad experience.

I live in southeast Houston, but using Washington-on-the-Brazos for continuity would be just fine with me.
It better not be an issue or they will have me to contend with which wont be good.

No seriously you should not even think of such a thing with us.
The folks that show up are just fantsatic.

Worth
Old June 24, 2014   #17
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

GreenTiger

Tomatoes come in all different sizes and colors, tomato growers do also. The tomato folks that I have met at prior SETTFESTS would be more than happy to hang out with you, including my wife and I. Don't worry about it. And there have been folks who brought 1 variety in the past, and that was a hybrid.
Old June 24, 2014   #18
greentiger87
Tomatovillian™

Well, it looks like a pavilion with 100 person capacity is $75, not bad at all. I might buy a bunch of paper goods at the sales after July 4th, so they can be colorful and feel summery. If I don't use them for this, I'll use them for something else.

I know it's way too early to set a date or anything like that, but I'm officially committing to do the background work if someone else will team up with me.

Thank you for the reassurance, Michael and Worth. I'm rather proud of my Brandywines this year, so hopefully I'd have something worth bringing next year.

Oh, and my real name is Jay.
Old June 24, 2014   #19
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Jay-I will most likely be able to help next year. My wife and I moved recently to San Antonio, and with building a house and getting settled, I couldn't have helped this year. But I don't see any reason why I can't next year. So plan on counting on me. Hopefully, others will be willing to help also.
Old March 19, 2015   #20
VitalGrower
Tomatovillian™

I'd like to attend something like this, hopefully I have some tomatoes worth bringing this year!