Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 17, 2018   #16
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenO View Post
2 25 foot rows of tomatoes should give you quite a few
KarenO
I love the vintage posters. I don’t like that world war was the inspiration though
Each of those rows has something interplanted with the tomatoes, so they're going to have to be on 4' centers at least. That makes about 6 plants per row.

3.6 plants per person.

Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17, 2018   #17
nyrfan
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Krim View Post
This is enough?????
Maybe, if you only eat red tomatoes.

This year I'll have 16 tomato plants in a 15x20 plot plus another 20 in pots.

Finally... No peppers, eggplant or melons? Obviously the victory garden wasn't designed by an Italian!
nyrfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17, 2018   #18
LDiane

We didn't have peppers and eggplant back in the 1940s, but we did get canteloupe.
No zucchini, either, just marrows.

No supermarkets. A Chinese man came round once a week with a truck full of fruit
and vegetables.
Old January 17, 2018   #19
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Melons would take up too much space.

Just bought another (50) 4" pots.

Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17, 2018   #20
nyrfan
Tomatovillian™

Melons taste better than most of the crops listed & can be trained to grow vertically.
nyrfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17, 2018   #21
BlackBear
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan_PA_6b View Post
I calculate there are 18 tomato plants in that Victory garden, for a family of 5.

Nan

yeah Nan I see your point ...18 plants would not be enough ...even Just for me ...Lol
Old January 17, 2018   #22
BlackBear
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan_PA_6b View Post
Our very large robin has returned already; earlier every year. He eats chopped raisins and other dried fruit from our feeder.

Nan
Well today ...there is no birdsong ...all the smart birdies have taken refuge in the Ark
as our normal torrential rains have returned for a bit in January .
Old January 17, 2018   #23
BlackBear
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayrobbins View Post
My fall tomatoes ended with an unusual freeze just after Christmas but I picked lots of green ones and they are ripening on the counter. I planted my spring tomatoes on January 15th so they will be ready to plant out at the of February. But I always have some micro tomatoes from Bunnyhop seeds growing to fill in the gaps. My dream is to never have to buy a tomato at the grocery store. I am not quiet there but getting closer.
Sounds like a plan ...I sure could handle it if it only snowed once every 20 years ...
even if you had to buy a grocery store tomato ....you must have a large selection of local good quality for most of the year in Florida .
Old January 17, 2018   #24
BlackBear
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan View Post
Maybe, if you only eat red tomatoes.

This year I'll have 16 tomato plants in a 15x20 plot plus another 20 in pots.

Finally... No peppers, eggplant or melons? Obviously the victory garden wasn't designed by an Italian!
Most Obviously .....ha ha ha

I actually used to have a Garden plot at least 2x as big in Manitoba rural life .
not including extra boxes and in deck sunken big Box and pots and beans up against the shed etc. etc.

Even Then with that size of a plot I was aware that ...since the 1940's we have many different

vegetable varieties developed for the modern garden . I particularly liked to look at/explore "Compact " varieties and productive .

Compact does not necessarily mean "dwarf" . It does not necessarily mean determinate either .

To some degree the 1940's ideals ...could have changed with modern smaller access to smaller garden plots . In Melons, Muskmelons and cukes , even pumpkins ....even with much larger space I opted for short vine varieties for great success . I was able to have much and much variety in smaller space.

I have pepper plants overwintered in the shop with the lemons to be brought out when safe but cool again .

Geese I can hardly wait for the real healthy fresh Basil and Thyme to go with the Toms . mmmmmm
Old January 18, 2018   #25
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBear View Post
Gardening Begins now ....

I prefer to think gardening never ends!
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18, 2018   #26
BlackBear
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father'sDaughter View Post
I prefer to think gardening never ends!
I agree ...but I was sure enjoying the January lull as part of the

annual cycle . I just finalized the tentative 2018 grow out variety list .

so I am Ready for seedling time and moving into the growing season .
Old January 18, 2018   #27
Black Krim
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenO View Post
2 25 foot rows of tomatoes should give you quite a few
KarenO
I love the vintage posters. I don’t like that world war was the inspiration though
I had a "doh" moment just a few years ago as I realized the old gardening show hosted by Crockett initially was called The Victory Garden for a reason totally different than my imagination created. My thought was that digging in the garden with mom and having extra food was a victory. haha The real reason for the name was when we all chipped in to win that world war.

Today I see we have another war to win--food poverty. I think about the many people in my community with low paying work or no work. We have 2 food pantries. One without fresh produce and another limited to those they deem fit the rules. When I had extra produce I brought it to the former, and when my son grew his Eagle project produce it also was for the former. Anyone could help themselves--- and boy did folks flock when he walked in carriing boxes of produce.

I dream of everyone having a tomato plant, and I have no idea how to help everyone get gardening. The high school has a garden but it all goes to the later. I see lots of poverty that lives under the radar of the majority of the local residents.

First step..find the right vareity.....
Black Krim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18, 2018   #28
BlackBear
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Krim View Post
I had a "doh" moment just a few years ago as I realized the old gardening show hosted by Crockett initially was called The Victory Garden for a reason totally different than my imagination created. My thought was that digging in the garden with mom and having extra food was a victory. haha The real reason for the name was when we all chipped in to win that world war.

Today I see we have another war to win--food poverty. I think about the many people in my community with low paying work or no work. We have 2 food pantries. One without fresh produce and another limited to those they deem fit the rules. When I had extra produce I brought it to the former, and when my son grew his Eagle project produce it also was for the former. Anyone could help themselves--- and boy did folks flock when he walked in carriing boxes of produce.

I dream of everyone having a tomato plant, and I have no idea how to help everyone get gardening. The high school has a garden but it all goes to the later. I see lots of poverty that lives under the radar of the majority of the local residents.

First step..find the right vareity.....
The Crockett Victory garden ...also never deemed on me about the association with the Wars effort (a few decades removed for me) but the common sense/ no nonsense approach to the then common man inspired me.

I submit that due to land values/population pressures and smaller lots ...smaller spaces we are all under pressure to find the "right" variety .

My "Victory Garden " does not look anything like the Vintage Lot /guide of the
War years . I think even a few well producing containers ....is a win against the war mentioned above.
We must Thank all the compact container friendly plant breeders all over the world. Oh and a very special recognition to the Dwarf Tomato project as well.
Old January 19, 2018   #29
BlackBear
Tomatovillian™

Default Bad Case of Tomato Head in January.

With all the planning and designing of the garden in January ...with little actual
Physical Action of actual gardening ...the back up has caused a bad case of Tomato Head .

Tomato head can only be relieved with a Therapy of Spring Gardening.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HTStarFantasy6.jpg (295.7 KB, 58 views)
Old January 19, 2018   #30
upcountrygirl
Tomatovillian™

Amen on the first post and the victory garden posts, black bear!

I'm slowly working my way through planning for more garden beds this year as we finally made the choice last year to take down all the dead and dying pine trees on our property.. Lots of leaves composting in future garden beds right now.

I also see but don't really comprehend all the children and young ppl that don't garden today and explore their surroundings on this planet we reside on. My children get as excited as mama does about what they're going to plant in their garden beds. I also agree with the food poverty posts but here it's my experience a lot of it is because ppl don't garden anymore. The local homeless shelter is always grateful when we come in with produce! Many conversations of ppl that seek shelter there about their pasts and fond memories include gardening and fishing.
upcountrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote