Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old October 5, 2017   #511
5haun5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father'sDaughter View Post
My plants are just about done, mostly due to neglect over the last month now that I'm back to working full time and it's dark by the time I get home from the office.

I had 27 plants with 23 grafted onto DRO141TX, 3 onto RST-04-106-T, and one un-grafted.

The un-grafted plant and the three on RST struggled all year and were the first to fall. I'm taking this as my proof that I do have Verticillium as RST is not V resistant, but DRO is.

The rest on the DRO did great until I had to stop paying attention to them.

Last year I did not graft and averaged a pitiful >3/4 of a pound per plant. With grafting this year, I have averaged almost 3 1/4 pounds per plant with a few viable fruit still hanging on a couple of plants.

Next year they are all going onto DRO rootstock.
Thanks for the report. I only have DRO141TX [*] and only needed 8 or 10 plants but life happened just as I was about to graft. Consequently the results aren't the best, they're still in healing chambers so not sure of final numbers.

My DRO141TX is pelleted seed and it didn't germinate at the same time as the scions. Turns out I didn't wet the media enough to dissolve the clay-based pelleting material.

I germinated some more DRO seeds on wet tissue when I realised what happened then planted them into small pots but they didn't catch up to my scions so what with that and life happening things haven't been great.
[*] I still have healthy and vigorous Maxifort cuttings growing that have now over-wintered on my deck from the single parent pant I obtained three years ago. However because the stem is so thick on these they're only good for approach (or veneer) grafting. I may graft some laterals from my earlier plants onto this later in the season.

Thanks everyone for sharing.

Last edited by 5haun5; October 5, 2017 at 01:42 AM. Reason: typos
Old October 5, 2017   #512
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5haun5 View Post
Thanks for the report. I only have DRO141TX [*] and only needed 8 or 10 plants but life happened just as I was about to graft. Consequently the results aren't the best, they're still in healing chambers so not sure of final numbers.

My DRO141TX is pelleted seed and it didn't germinate at the same time as the scions. Turns out I didn't wet the media enough to dissolve the clay-based pelleting material.

I germinated some more DRO seeds on wet tissue when I realised what happened then planted them into small pots but they didn't catch up to my scions so what with that and life happening things haven't been great.
[*] I still have healthy and vigorous Maxifort cuttings growing that have now over-wintered on my deck from the single parent pant I obtained three years ago. However because the stem is so thick on these they're only good for approach (or veneer) grafting. I may graft some laterals from my earlier plants onto this later in the season.

Thanks everyone for sharing.
It is better to have scions ahead of the root stock because you only need the top of the plant and it doesn't matter how far you go up the scion to match the root stock stem size. It does matter if you have to cut the root stock off too low because then you have the problem of the join being too close to the soil line when planting out in the garden. I have use the top few inches of scions that were over a foot tall to graft onto my small root stock. I haven't seen any disadvantage other than if you let the scion get too old the stem becomes fairly thick near the top sometimes, making matching to the young root stock stem difficult.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7, 2017   #513
5haun5

Quote:
Originally Posted by b54red View Post
It is better to have scions ahead of the root stock because you only need the top of the plant and it doesn't matter how far you go up the scion to match the root stock stem size. It does matter if you have to cut the root stock off too low because then you have the problem of the join being too close to the soil line when planting out in the garden. I have use the top few inches of scions that were over a foot tall to graft onto my small root stock. I haven't seen any disadvantage other than if you let the scion get too old the stem becomes fairly thick near the top sometimes, making matching to the young root stock stem difficult.

Bill
Thanks. To do that I'll need to have them in lower light conditions as there's not enough internode length on my young scions and I don't really want to be shaving off a petiole or two to get enough stem into the clip.

Cheers,
Shaun.
Old November 23, 2017   #514
jtjmartin
Tomatovillian™

NE Seed is advertising free ground shipping on orders over $9.99 from Nov. 24 to Dec 4. They carry the RST-04-106 rootstock seed.

Jeff
jtjmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7, 2018   #515
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I posted this on the RKN thread and want to share it here too.

I got my copy of Seeds N Such today. It says this is new:
RST-04-105-T Hybrid Rootstock VFFFN
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7, 2018   #516
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

I cant find any 106, anyone have a source?
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7, 2018   #517
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigVanVader View Post
I cant find any 106, anyone have a source?

I'm wondering the 105 is replacing it???
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8, 2018   #518
beetkvass
Tomatovillian™

I'm hoping to buy some seed for root stock but not sure where to buy. Do y'all think the RST-04-105-T Hybrid Root stock VFFFN listed above is a fairly safe bet? I've never ordered from Seeds 'n Such before. Johnny's I see also has some seeds for root stock but it's more expensive and doesn't seem to cover as many diseases. I'm not entirely sure what I'm dealing with here yet.
beetkvass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8, 2018   #519
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
I posted this on the RKN thread and want to share it here too.

I got my copy of Seeds N Such today. It says this is new:
RST-04-105-T Hybrid Rootstock VFFFN
Thanks for reminding me of Wayne Hilton's Seeds n Such but not for the reason you might think. And yes I've known him for several decades and know what his background is.

This is the 3rd year he's sent out catalogs, I got all three,even with an act #.

So I took a close look at the latest one and there are many wrong comments in his catalog and I have to tell him about that. They range from wrong info about Dr.Randolf Gardner to listing Orange Strawberry as a version of German Red Strawberry,NOT.

And touts mainly F1 hybrid tomatoes,OK,but goes on and on about all the resistances. PLEASE look at the Goliath thread here where I did several posts about that.

I'm not talking about the root stock info, that's what it is.

There's so much more I could post but right now both toilets in my home are non functional, so that's my premier issue right now.

Carolyn
Old January 8, 2018   #520
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

For the facts on any rootstock seeds, I usually go to the producer's website. Last year when I was looking at a few options, I found conflicting info on certain resistances among the re-sellers, even the reputable ones.

The RST rootstock are from DP seeds - http://dpseeds.com/shop/rootstock/rs...ato-rootstock/

The DRO141TX rootstock I used is from De Ruiter Seeds - https://www.deruiterseeds.com/en-us/rootstock.html

Here's the latest table of what's available from vegetablegrafting.org, but I've found even the table doesn't always have the same information that you'll find on the producer's website - http://www.vegetablegrafting.org/res...otstock-table/
Old January 17, 2018   #521
beetkvass
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father'sDaughter View Post
For the facts on any rootstock seeds, I usually go to the producer's website. Last year when I was looking at a few options, I found conflicting info on certain resistances among the re-sellers, even the reputable ones.

The RST rootstock are from DP seeds - http://dpseeds.com/shop/rootstock/rs...ato-rootstock/

The DRO141TX rootstock I used is from De Ruiter Seeds - https://www.deruiterseeds.com/en-us/rootstock.html

Here's the latest table of what's available from vegetablegrafting.org, but I've found even the table doesn't always have the same information that you'll find on the producer's website - http://www.vegetablegrafting.org/res...otstock-table/

So SeedsNSuch isn't terribly honest? Because their site says the RST-04-105-T is resistant to 3 races of Fusarium but the site linked above shows it resistant to only 2. Thanks for the link! It's very frustrating to discover however that sellers aren't being entirely honestly about these things though.
beetkvass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2018   #522
BrotherTarquin
Tomatovillian™

Any cultivars you'd particularly recommend? I live in the South of England and am growing a number of Heirloom Varieties, English, European and American cultivars.

Unfortunately I don't seem to have access to the same range of rootstock cultivars as you guys in the states do, but so far I've found sites that sell Estamino F1, Protector F1, Submarine F1 and Arnold F1.

Do I need to sow before, at the same time or after sowing my scions? And what's the latest? I've already sown all my fruiting plants and I suspect it might be too late already so might have to try grafting next year.

I can list my cultivars if that helps.
BrotherTarquin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2018   #523
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I looked on NE Seeds list of available root stock seed and saw that the 106 is out of stock. That is the one I use and I hope they get more before I need to order for this falls tomatoes. The 105 is only resistant to two races of fusarium so if you are dealing with that problem as I am then you want to find another root stock seed like Estamino or Multifort.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2018   #524
Flattop
Tomatovillian™

For short seasons, Estamino works very well. Tomato grafting depends more on pairing of rootstock with scion than other types of grafting, in addition to success being specific to cultural techniques and environment. So, you should trial as many as possible to see what works in your specific situation and only rely on others to give you a base to start with.
Flattop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2018   #525
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

If you're not dealing with Bacterial Wilt, I highly recommend DRO141TX. It seems to be a very well balanced rootstock that isn't too generative or vegetative. Worked well with everything I grafted to it last year from indeterminate large plant beefsteaks to shorter and bushier pastes.