Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 4, 2014   #1
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Default Early GWR for smallish container

I'm growing Early Annie, Jagodka and a couple of others (which are still green) and hubby is eating the tomatoes with his lunch before they are completely ripe so that I don't get a look in!

I'm thinking of growing an early, cherry, GWR next year in the hopes that he will leave them alone and I can have some ripe tomatoes for a change before the main crop comes along .

If there is such a thing are there any recommendations? My containers are about 3 gallon size.

TIA,
Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4, 2014   #2
RobinB
Tomatovillian™

I love Lime Green Salad. It's not a cherry, but is on the small side and early. The plant is small too and easily grown in a pot. It's got yellow skin so you can tell when it's ripe.
RobinB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4, 2014   #3
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Robin. LGS sounds as if it will fit the bill. Putting it on my list for 2015.

Linda
Old July 5, 2014   #4
Lindalana
Tomatovillian™

well, you might just put more of those midgety containers so he has enough and still some left for you... I have done Minibel and Mohamed in like 4¨pots and they have plenty of tomatoes on them now for example
Lindalana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2014   #5
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Hi Ellen,

Good idea! What did you think of the taste of Minibel and Mohammed? I plan to grow more earlies in containers next year, depending on which varieties taste the best. I'm waiting for Russian Cherry and Pipo to ripen.

Linda
Old July 5, 2014   #6
Lindalana
Tomatovillian™

They both taste fine, just as many early tomatoes, you won´t get full bodied taste but then it is cherry type, Minibel is sweeter than Mohamed but they are really small plants with lots of load. Nice way to work with winter blues too. Another one I am waiting is Yaponskiy Karlik which is also mini dwarf so does not take much space at all, right now it is under 2 feet and is loaded with golf size fruits.
Lindalana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2014   #7
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Never tried Minibel, but this year I had Mohamed, which has been very sweet - due to the early sunshine. It definitely will be my staple every growing season.
Sadly, it has shown signs of stress (perhaps my watering has not been up to par) and has been snapping fruits off the stem. Since I loved the taste so much, I started a new plant for the later part of this summer and will take it indoors when the season is over.
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16, 2018   #8
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

I'm resurrecting this thread to ask if LGS is actually early.
All the GWrs I tried until now have been suspiciously late. Literally the time from pollination to ripe fruit has been longer than any other varieties.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16, 2018   #9
bower
Tomatovillian™

zipcode, Have you tried Malachitovaya Schkatulka? They were quite early for us, for a full sized beef. Mind you I have no general observations, because it's the only GWR I've grown.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16, 2018   #10
MdTNGrdner

Emerald Apple (Izumrudnoe Yabloko) has been the first non- cherry variety in my garden, 2 years running - about 55-57 days from plant out. This out of 40-odd varieties. It doesn't get very tall for me, maybe 3 1/2' to 4 1/2' so it might do well in a container, but it does tend to sprawl. And like Bower, I haven't yet grown any other grw's to compare it to...That's on the list for this year.

These are beefsteaks though, not saladette size.

Forgot to mention, I have seeds if you want to try it.

Last edited by MdTNGrdner; January 16, 2018 at 02:58 PM.
Old January 17, 2018   #11
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

I actually have Emerald Apple but never grew it. Guess it's time this year.

I was tempted at some point to try Malachitovaya Schkatulka but the 'sweet' comments put me off. This year I got comments from people that my positively balanced (not sweet but not exactly tart either) GWRs are 'oh so sweet', that I'm not sure what to think anymore.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote