Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a favorite recipe that's always a hit with family and friends? Share it with us!

Old March 17, 2007   #16
melody
Tomatovillian™

The thing about cornbread is that you can make the batter as thick or thin as you like...just add more cornmeal. If you need more batter, add more liquid and then add cornmeal till the consistency looks right.

As far as all of these 'sweet' cornbread recipes.....to each his own, but I never add sugar to cornbread...ever..(that's cake) Try leaving out the sugar, add some onions and brocolli that you've sauteed till limp and some grated cheddar.

My basic cornbread recipe is...heat a bit of oil in your pan till hot, beat one egg, about a cup of milk more or less (never measure) in a bowl with a fork,dump in enough Martha White self rising cornmeal and stir up till it looks right..dump in the pan and bake at 350 till done..(roughly 20 min..give or take)If you like crust, about 5 minutes before it's completely done, remove pan and flip the whole thing over and let the top side bake on the bottom for about 5 minutes.

Add anything you like to the batter...I make my cornbread for stuffing all seasoned...add the onions and sage at the batter stage and you've eliminated a step.

Have fun with cornbread...it's very forgiving and you can add anything you can think up to it....another great add to the onions and cheeze is a cup of browned sausage and chili seasoning....
melody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2007   #17
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

That's so true about flavoring the corn bread the way you want. I was thinking that first recipe is ideal for chili and the second one with the brown sugar would be great with some pork chops and turnip greens. Thanks for all the ideas! Keep 'em coming!
Old March 17, 2007   #18
Adenn1
Tomatovillian™

If I remember correctly, the batter was pretty thick...so I would think it would work in a springform pan. I used light brown sugar and dark brown...had a bit of both to use up too. I would like to experiment with it and add some corn, cheese and peppers. When I first made this recipe it went with a ham shank that I cooked with potatoes, carrots, onions and cabbage. That was some meal...leftovers then made a nice batch of bean and ham soup.
Old March 18, 2007   #19
melody
Tomatovillian™

I've got a friend that adds a can of whole kernel corn, (drained) cheese, and some hot dogs cut up..I don't eat hotdogs anymore, but it sounds good. Kinda like a corn dog casserole...

Last edited by melody; March 18, 2007 at 10:08 AM. Reason: punctuation error
melody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2007   #20
gardengalrn
Tomatovillian™

Something I like to add to a basic cornbread recipe is a packet of the Goya brand ham seasoning. I use it in a big recipe, you might season to taste in smaller batches because it may be a bit too much. I also add salsa and/or hot sauce and cheese. A former friend of mine used to make TO DIE for cornbread in which she put pulled or BBQ pork in. Yum, if we were still friends I would ask the recipe
gardengalrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25, 2007   #21
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

I've heard a moist cornbread can be made with sour cream. I've never tried it, but there are recipes out there.

To me, cornbread needs that cast iron skillet. Blueberry cornbread is probably my favorite. Cheddar and herb (basil? I don't remember) is another one I like.

Gary
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25, 2007   #22
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the replies. I've had a lot of dry cornbread and a few that I've liked, including some with sour cream, cheese, hot peppers and corn. The bacon idea sounds great. It's not that unusual for me to have a party and need to serve 35 or 40 people so that's why I'm asking for big recipes. Keep on sending them!
Old April 25, 2007   #23
Earl
Tomatovillian™

If you have cookbook "Joy of Cooking" do the Cracking Cornbread recipe. It's divine. The crackings makes cornbread a whole n'other experience. Can't find cracklings use country style pork skins and crush them.
Old April 25, 2007   #24
tomatoaddict

Melody,
That idea of putting hotdogs in your cornbread sounds so good.
Cornbread is just one of those simple pleasures in life.8)
Old October 29, 2011   #25
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Default Corn Recipes

The Classic Baked Corn Pudding

Makes 16 servings (1/2 cup each)

1/2 cup butter or margarine
1 small onion, chopped (1/4 cup)
1/2 cup Gold Medal all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
4 cups milk (1 quart)
6 eggs, slightly beaten
2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese (8 ounces)
2 bags (1 pound each) Green Giant Niblets frozen whole kernel corn, thawed
1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley or 2 tablespoon parsley flakes
3/4 cup Progresso plain bread crumbs
3 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted

1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray 13 x 9-inch (3-quart) glass baking dish or 3-quart casserole with cooking spray.

2. In 4-quart Dutch oven, melt 1/2 cup butter over medium heat. Add onion; cook 3 to 4 minutes, stirring frequently, until tender. Stir in flour, salt and pepper until well blended. Stir in milk. Cook 4 to 5 minutes, stirring constantly, until thickened. Gradually stir in eggs and cheese. Stir in corn and parsley. Pour into baking dish.

3. In small bowl, mix bread crumbs and 3 tablespoons melted butter; sprinkle over corn mixture.

4. Bake uncovered 55 to 65 minutes or until mixture is set and knife inserted in center comes out clean. Let stand 5 to 10 minutes before serving.

High Altitude (3500-6500 ft): No change. Enjoy.
Zana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1, 2012   #26
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Cornmeal Lace Rounds

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 14 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1/2 cup boiling water
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup cornmeal
2 egg whites

Mix first 3 ingredients.

Cool and fold in the stiffly beaten egg whites. Drop by teaspoon onto greased baking sheet and bake in 350° oven about 30 minutes.

Makes about 14 small cakes.

Source:
"Intercontinentalcog.org"
S(Formatted by Chupa Babi):
"March 2012"
Yield:
"14 small cakes"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 20 Calories; trace Fat (3.7%
calories from fat); 1g Protein; 4g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 0mg
Cholesterol; 84mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat.
Old September 15, 2012   #27
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Double-Corn Spoon Bread

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : LowCal (Less than 300 cals) LowerCarbs
LowFat (Less than 30%) Veggie

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
2 cups plain soy milk (soya milk)
2 cups stock -- or broth
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon dark honey
1 cup cornmeal -- preferably stone-ground
1 1/4 cups fresh corn kernels -- (cut from 2 or 3 ears corn)
1 tablespoon minced shallot
1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 egg whites
1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese

Preheat the oven to 375 F. Lightly coat a 3-quart souffle dish with olive oil cooking spray.

In a saucepan over medium heat, combine the soy milk, stock, olive oil and honey. Heat until very hot but not boiling. Reduce the heat to low so the mixture simmers. Add the cornmeal in a stream while whisking constantly. Cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl. Add the corn kernels, shallot, thyme, baking powder and salt and stir to combine.

In a large, spotlessly clean bowl, using an electric mixer on high speed, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form. Gently whisk 1/3 of the whites into the cornmeal mixture to lighten it. Using a rubber spatula, gently fold the remaining egg whites into the batter, mixing just until incorporated.

Pour the batter into the prepared souffle dish and sprinkle with the cheese. Bake until puffed and lightly golden, about 35 minutes. Let stand in the dish for 5 minutes before serving. Serve hot.

Serves 8

Dietitian's tip: Spoon bread is made from cornmeal that is cooked on the stove top before folding in whipped eggs. It's then cooked again, in the oven, like a souffle. In this light version, only the egg whites are used.

(per serving) Calories 159 (28 % fat); Total fat 5 g (Monounsaturated fat 3 g; Saturated fat <1g); Protein 7 g; Carbohydrate 22 g; Fiber 3 g; Cholesterol 1 mg; Sodium 300 mg.

Source:
"The New Mayo Clinic Cookbook by Mayo Clinic Health Information and Oxmoor House, and winner of the 2005 James Beard award."
S(Formatted by Chupa Babi):
"Sept 2012"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 171 Calories; 7g Fat (35.2% calories from fat); 6g Protein; 23g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; trace Cholesterol; 242mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 1 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

Nutr. Assoc. : 5062 0 0 731 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Old November 17, 2012   #28
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Corn Pepper Casserole

From: PeakMarket.com (Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada - 11/8/2011)

Ingredients:
2 tablespoons (30 ml) butter
4 green onions, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
1 red pepper, chopped
1 - 19 oz (540 ml) can corn kernels, drained
1 tablespoon (15 ml) cream
salt & pepper to taste
1/2 cup (125 ml) cheddar cheese, grated

Directions:
1. In a skillet, melt the butter. Add the onion, green pepper & corn kernels. Cook for 2 minutes.
2. Remove the skillet from the heat. Add the cream. Season with salt & pepper.
3. Pour into a shallow casserole dish. Sprinkle the cheese over top. Cover & bake in a preheated 350ºF (180ºC) oven for 15 minutes or until heated through.

Serves 8
Old December 2, 2012   #29
coronabarb
Tomatoville® Recipe Keeper

Default Skillet Scalloped Corn

Skillet Scalloped Corn

2 tsps butter
1/2 cup crushed rich round, wheat, or rye crackers
1 11 ounce can whole kernel corn with sweet peppers, drained
1 (7-8 3/4 oz) can whole kernel corn with sweet peppers or white (shoepeg) corn, drained
2 (1 oz) slice process Swiss cheese, torn
1/3 cup milk
1/8 tsp onion powder
dash of ground black pepper

For topping, in 10-inch skillet melt butter over medium heat. Add 2 Tbls of crushed crackers to skillet. Cook and stir until light brown. Remove topping; set aside.

In same skillet, combine remaining crushed crackers, corn, cheese, milk, onion powder, and pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, until cheese melts. Transfer to a serving dish; sprinkle with topping. Makes 4 servings.
Old December 3, 2012   #30
whistech
Tomatovillian™

Use any cornbread recipe you like and add one bunch of chopped green onions, one can of sweet corn kernels and one can of mild green chiles.
whistech is offline   Reply With Quote