Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 8, 2008   #211
gardenhappy
Tomatovillian™

Default wind

This wind is throwing everything all over and it's just as bad today ,my hubby restaked and secured the hoop house last night ,it lasted all night but it's popping the plastic off again now ,i moved all the plants out but we have so much rain that i can't plant them!!!! We sink down into the ground even in the back yard!!! It threw my clay 5 gallon size pots even over- full of wet dirt and plants!! Broke off 6 tomato's full of tomato's The pig is gone at least again!! We have plenty of bond fire wood for a while,limbs are everywhere And you watch tomorrow all will be calm now thats it's done it's damage
gardenhappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2008   #212
gardenhappy
Tomatovillian™

Default ?

If a tomato plant is broke off at the stem but there is 2 to 4 leaves at the bottom of the stem that is left do you:
#1-lank it
#2- leave it and ??
#3- take it out of the ground and pot it up(see what it does) and replace it with a new plant where it was?
It's the purple calabash and a sun gold and I love those!!!!
The others is just stumps left (4) of them.
Old March 10, 2008   #213
bcday
Tomatovillian™

Leave it there. New growth will appear at the ★★★★★★★★ where the leaves meet the stem and before long you won't know anything happened to it.
bcday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2008   #214
gardenhappy
Tomatovillian™

Default Thanks

Thanks so much!!!
Old March 10, 2008   #215
Granny
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

I both leave what is there there and take the hunk that broke off and stick it into the ground to make a new plant. Tomato cuttings (or breakings) root in a heartbeat.
Granny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2008   #216
gardenhappy
Tomatovillian™

Default stem plants

Thanks granny it's already showing signs of roots,little white spots are appearing(i peeked),well i ahve found out the hard way again If Florida YOU DO NOT USE COLOR PERMANENT MARKERS ON LABLES!!!!! All of the purple and red have woren off!!! Even the black had faded,what do you all use to lable with?This was in the hoop house and the cold frames and my garden lables. Thanksgoodness I ahve learned to keep records!!!
Old March 15, 2008   #217
Granny
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenhappy View Post
Thanks granny it's already showing signs of roots,little white spots are appearing(i peeked),well i ahve found out the hard way again If Florida YOU DO NOT USE COLOR PERMANENT MARKERS ON LABLES!!!!! All of the purple and red have woren off!!! Even the black had faded,what do you all use to lable with?This was in the hoop house and the cold frames and my garden lables. Thanksgoodness I ahve learned to keep records!!!
Does not work in Vermont either - even Sharpie. THIS year I am printing out labels, sandwiching them between two layers of heavy duty clear plastic laminate (leaving a border all around) punching a hole in the outer edge and wiring it to the darned plants individually with a wire tie!
Granny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2008   #218
zazooom
Tomatovillian™

Granny you make me laugh! I may have to try your your method of keeping tags on plants. Mine fade or blow away no matter what I do.
zazooom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2008   #219
gardenhappy
Tomatovillian™

Default sheet metal

My hubby has sheet metal,i have thought of (if it's o.k. with him) cutting some up for markers,i see them in the garden catologs But there sharp and cut in a heart beat, it would take more time then i have to turn over an edge unless if he has an edge turner?I'll have to ask him,I used copper and metal tags in Michigan but still even on my metal markers the print is comming off in the gardens from the sun,that has NEVER happend in Michigan so I never even thought that would be a problem. Computer tags I have fade to so thats no solution here.I like the wire on idea- tho with our wind that will work good mabie the sandwhich idea too,boy what it takes to keep a lable!! I'm not going to complain about the wind tho cause were going on our wind generater soon and the solar to get these energy bills down
Old March 22, 2008   #220
captnkirk
Tomatovillian™

marge i saw your post where you went to the eb seminar,so did you end up buying 1 ?...i havent been home in over 2 weeks so im not sure how mine are doing.il probanly have alot of tieing and spraying to do when i get home.

gardenhappy i have the same troubles with t5he labels to.i bought some plastic labels that come with a marker at walmart but i havent tried them out yet.i made me a map of my set up and wrote the names of the varieties on there,but then i dont have nearly as many plants as you do.
captnkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2008   #221
gardenhappy
Tomatovillian™

Default lables

Good luck because thats what i used last year,did not work!!! I've used sharpies,reg.perm.markers.those stinky kind,I'm going to use copper and etch the name right into them i think.Are we all still on for Ruskins??? In our In the field mag. It had the date for this year,can't remember when off the top of my head.
I think the new heat mat from parks that my daughter got for me for christmas may be COOKING my seeds,my germination is awful on that pad!!!! Anyone else have problems with theirs?? I transplanted last week over 160 tomato's to the garden,have about 150 more to go into the beds and started about 29 more varieties,I'm in Daves trails with 33 varieties so far that i will seed Monday and I'm not going to use that heat mat.My dwarf seeds that i put on the heat mat not a one came up of Sneezy or Grumpy,other seeds did but not those,i'm so sad they did not come up!!!
I just got seeds for SPOON tomato's and i can't wait to see what they are like!!!
Dave gave me some varieties that set friut in the HEAT
I can't wait to see what they do in July here!!!! One is from Hawaii
Has anyone growen the climbing tomato's down here? The ones that get from 14 to 20 foot? I got a bunch of those,i want a tomato arbor and some tomato trellises I seen this really cool 125' long one somewhere,i can't remember at the moment and it was so beautiful,some say down here they will just cook in the sun,but i got to try at least a few seed of them now and then will do the majority in the fall gardens and cry when winter comes!!! I'm also going to put some in the middle of the green house and see if i can keep them going all year,along with other plants growing up fence walls in there. It can't hurt to try Anyway I'm loving gardening and the learning of it all,thanks for your help as this yank learns about the southern way!!! Happy Easter to all and ahve fun in the gardens this week.
Old March 24, 2008   #222
annecros
Tomatovillian™

Save me some seeds for anything that does well in the heat!

We have so much going on in the family right now (daughter graduating college, brother with health problems), I don't know if we will make it to Ruskin. It is May 3 and 4 this year. Here's the web site:

http://ruskintomatofestival.org/

There's supposed to be some cool weather around tomorrow morning. Down to the 50's tonight here - I'll think warm thoughts for you guys further North.
annecros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1, 2008   #223
gardenhappy
Tomatovillian™

Default seeds

I just bought some Flamingo seeds anyone tried these? Suppose to do very well in the heat also bought
Thai pink,pink accordion,omars lebanese,millionaire
My germination is going great!!! The tomato's in the gardens are doing wonderful and in the hoop house great!! Transplanting about 100 more out tomorrow weather permiting and about 150 little eggplants,what are the black like grass hoppers down here?I've never seen these kind
We got some badly needed rain tonight hand picking grubs still but for the most part garden is looking good.
Old April 10, 2008   #224
gardenhappy
Tomatovillian™

Default water

now we have to much rain,our cannals are full to the brim still and we have not had rain for 3 days! In the main large garden all the raised beds are doing fine but all the rows in the front part that we planted straight into the ground,are a loss the radishes are sponges,the only thing doing great up there is belive it or not sunflowers ,onions,garlic everything else,radishes,peas,mustards,nastirtuims,and spinach i'm just going to have hubby till under,raise the beds up and replant summer crops.At least here in Florida we have 3 seasons!!! So for sure it will be all raised beds here. The winds have really been blowing also wish we had the wind generater up So how are your gardens? Marge all those tomato seeds you sent are doing great and been transplanted to the kitchen gardens now Anne,your seeds are doing very well also,some have friuts on them,also if anyone needs little plastic baggies i ordered 1000ea. 2x3 and 2x5,they are suppose to be in today or tomorrow.Happy Gardening everyone
Old April 11, 2008   #225
annecros
Tomatovillian™

Hey gardenhappy,

So what is your weather report for next week? We are supposed to be in the high 50's Monday and Tuesday! Middle of April, I'll believe it when I see it.

Super rainy down here as well. SFWMD has loosened up the restrictions, but I haven't needed to water much anyway.

I am picking the very last of my slicers, have southern peas going, potatoes in bins blooming, and starting my melon patch. I'm just going to do some container types over the high Summer this year because I want to solarize my best beds.

Stay warm and dry up there.
annecros is offline   Reply With Quote