Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old June 8, 2013   #1
danielnc84
Tomatovillian™

Default Still tired of waiting

After a week of rain 10+ inches and digging trenches to let water out of my garden and flood my yard i am still waiting on ripe tomatoes! can i get two weeks with NO RAIN? anyone else ready for some mater sandwiches?
danielnc84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9, 2013   #2
PA_Julia
Tomatovillian™

Delicious, yes let's eat!!

I'm sorry your having that rain issue.

We received over 2.50 inches up here from post tropical storm Andrea.
Old June 9, 2013   #3
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

I feel you Daniel! My maters are a month behind, and their roots are still completely saturated. It rained again last night. I still have standing water here and there after weeks! (side benefit is all the new hatched frogs) Luckily due to the way I grow them, no til with wide areas of ground cover between rows, most of them are rapidly catching up with vigorous growth! I even have fruit setting! woo hoo! It's a miracle. Not the best year by any stretch, but I'll take it!

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13, 2013   #4
Crandrew
Tomatovillian™

I wish I could get SOME/any rain.
Crandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13, 2013   #5
sjoella
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielnc84 View Post
After a week of rain 10+ inches and digging trenches to let water out of my garden and flood my yard i am still waiting on ripe tomatoes! can i get two weeks with NO RAIN? anyone else ready for some mater sandwiches?

we are supposed to get more today, yay! its alot for sure....
sjoella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13, 2013   #6
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

I submit that the guvmit should spend a trillion or so freshly printed bucks to build a giant pipeline from the Mississippi flood zone to the Rockies and west to California. They should put arteries in it that main line to pipe water to all the desperately dry areas, and relieve the flooded areas where the water has accumulated. It is awful to see devastating floods in one area and devastating droughts in another area. If we can put a man on the moon and build the Panama Canal (a hundred years ago) we surely could do something to transfer water from where it is a plague to where it is a Godsend.

This is only intended to be an environmental, not political statement.

Thanks for your time.

Charley

p.s. We just got 15 minutes of desperately needed rain. I hope it rained on all our forest fires too.
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2013   #7
peppero
Tomatovillian™

here in southwest tennessee we are getting rain regularly. last year it got pretty dry. we will see what happens next.

jon
peppero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2013   #8
raindrops27
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salsacharley View Post
I submit that the guvmit should spend a trillion or so freshly printed bucks to build a giant pipeline from the Mississippi flood zone to the Rockies and west to California. They should put arteries in it that main line to pipe water to all the desperately dry areas, and relieve the flooded areas where the water has accumulated. It is awful to see devastating floods in one area and devastating droughts in another area. If we can put a man on the moon and build the Panama Canal (a hundred years ago) we surely could do something to transfer water from where it is a plague to where it is a Godsend.

This is only intended to be an environmental, not political statement.

Thanks for your time.

Charley

p.s. We just got 15 minutes of desperately needed rain. I hope it rained on all our forest fires too.
Charley, this is a great idea, what government program will need to be cut in order to get this idea going?
raindrops27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2013   #9
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by raindrops27 View Post
Charley, this is a great idea, what government program will need to be cut in order to get this idea going?

I submit that the guvmit spend "freshly printed" bucks. I do not want to get political regarding this by suggesting any budget type modifications. After all what's another trillion to the deficit? (woops, maybe I got a bit political...my apologies). The cost of such a project probably woundn't exceed a couple of hundred billion anyway.
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote