Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old April 15, 2013   #46
tedln

I still have way to much lawn to mow. I prefer to contain my garden in an area and leave everything else wide open with selective area plantings like raspberries and flowers. I probably mow two or three acres around the house. I plant rye grass every fall and with the occasional rain we have had, it is going wild in the warm weather. I can't keep it mowed right now and it is probably knee deep in places. I will have a lot of catching up to do when we finish building the chicken coop.

Ted
Old April 15, 2013   #47
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInCypress View Post
Ted,

Sure looks good. What size are the large containers? My home made self made earthtainers are getting a bit old and I am thinking to going to large containers with a drip line. Sometimes its a burden filling the earthtainers twice a day. How do you water? Have a great year.

MikeInCypress

You could easily change over to the Larry Hall rain gutter gardening method. I can't do youtube on this computer so if you search it you will find it. Good luck with whatever change you decide to make.

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2013   #48
Vespertino
Tomatovillian™

Ted you have such a wonderful garden. When I grow up and buy some land I hope to have a garden just as bountiful as yours
Vespertino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2013   #49
tedln

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vespertino View Post
Ted you have such a wonderful garden. When I grow up and buy some land I hope to have a garden just as bountiful as yours
Thank you, but a lot of folks on this forum have nicer gardens than mine. My garden fits the way I like to garden with everything growing tall instead of spreading out on the ground. It is a design that can be accomplished in smaller spaces requiring less maintenance. My garden could easily fit into many back yards in a subdivision.

Ted
Old May 19, 2013   #50
tedln

Okay,

Here is a photo update of my garden taken today, May 19. I've taken many of the photos from the same positions I took the original photos from in the first post of this thread. I think the most interesting are the photos of my new 25 gallon containers.

New containers with tomatoes, peppers, flowers, cucumbers, eggplant, and herbs.

The same containers photographed from the opposite end.

Five tomato varieties, summer squash, lettuce, and onions.

Romaine Lettuce

Tomatoes, beets, cucumbers and garlic.

Onions

All of my beds also contain flowers grown from seed this year. None of them are blooming yet because my entire garden is a full month behind last years garden due to late spring cold weather. It is catching up fast.

Ted
Old May 19, 2013   #51
GnomeGrown
Tomatovillian™

Looks fantastic, Ted.

Nice horse too.
Old May 19, 2013   #52
JamesL
Tomatovillian™

Beautiful Ted!
JamesL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2013   #53
dfollett
Tomatovillian™

Looks Great. They've done a lot of growing since April 6!
dfollett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2013   #54
Crandrew
Tomatovillian™

Looks great Ted! Keep us updated
Crandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2013   #55
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Great, Ted, looks awesome!
Keep it on.

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2013   #56
RebelRidin
Tomatovillian™

Very nice Ted. Everything looks great!

George

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is it’s natural manure."
Thomas Jefferson, 1787
RebelRidin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2013   #57
tedln

In the fifth photo, you can see some beets I'm growing. I've never grown beets before. I'm not exactly sure why I'm growing them since I have no idea what to do with them. I think they are doing great, but I have no idea when to harvest them either. I am thinking of pickling some of them since I do like pickled beets and Harvard beets. I am afraid of letting them over grow and become fibrous. I'm also growing some strawberries in my large containers. It's my first time to grow strawberries and they are growing great. Do strawberries grow and produce all summer or do they die back when the high heat arrives. Will I need to replant the strawberries each year or are they perennial plants.

Ted
Old May 19, 2013   #58
RebelRidin
Tomatovillian™

Ted,

Depending on the variety of beet you will want to harvest when 2 to 2.5 inch diameter. Fresh beets are wonderful. Leave about an inch of the tops on if planning to boil them. It will help cut down on the bleeding. Our favorite way to eat them fresh is to coat with a little olive oil and roast them in the oven. Then slip the skins and enjoy with a very small bit of butter and fresh groudn black pepper.

The strawberries are perennial but are usually replanted/rejuvinated every few years to control diseases. I burn my beds off in the fall with a quick fire to help them in that regard.

Two types, June-bearers and day neutral or "everbearing". June-bearers will produce in spring over several weeks and that's it for the year. The day-neutrals will produce in spring and late summer when nights temps remain about 65 and below. I grow some of both.

Homegrown strawberries can be a real treat. If interested this link gives a decent overview...

http://www.motherearthnews.com/organ...#axzz2TnJEmvu1

George

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is it’s natural manure."
Thomas Jefferson, 1787

Last edited by RebelRidin; May 19, 2013 at 10:09 PM.
RebelRidin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2013   #59
tedln

We will try both the boiled and baked beet method and see which we prefer. I usually grill a lot of vegetables from the garden in the summer. Are beets any good grilled with a little olive oil along with some eggplant, squash, tomatoes, peppers, garlic and onions?

My strawberries are the ever bearing variety. So far, the berries are pretty small but the plants just started producing larger leaves and growing rapidly. Hopefully the berries will get larger. I also think I made a mistake when I planted the strawberries by not planting them through a layer of straw or something. Most of the berries touch the soil and either rot or remain white where they are touching the soil. Some straw would probably have protected them. When they start growing over the lip of the containers, they should be okay.

Ted

Last edited by tedln; May 20, 2013 at 12:39 AM.
Old May 20, 2013   #60
LDx4
Tomatovillian™

Ted,

You have a beautiful yard and garden area! Is that your horse in the background in the second picture?

Lyn
LDx4 is offline   Reply With Quote