Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for environmentally-friendly alternatives to replace synthetic chemicals and fertilizers.

Old May 13, 2012   #16
Crandrew
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogsandDirt View Post
Mints can be extremely invasive. I would keep them in pots around the garden rather than in it.
+1 keep it in a pot
Crandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28, 2012   #17
wmontanez
Tomatovillian™

I plant tagetes, basil and nasturtiums around my tomato plants. I have seen 1 of those tomato hornworms in a pepper plant once last year. So I guess is either I am lucky or the rotations/companion planting are working or both. I have not seen spider mites near my tomato yet. Slugs are somewhat present but does not seem to bother my tomatoes so far.

I try to do companion planting and rotation but I am very much interested in Allelopathy to help me since I use organic growing methods.

I read today in my Mother Earth News magazine that horseradish deters Colorado Potato Beattle...I have been lucky that CPB have not found my potato plants yet.

I found that the beds that had brassicas before potatoes in my rotation had no wireworm damage and later I found some publications that the brassicas releases some compounds into the soil that wireworms don't like.
Old July 28, 2012   #18
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmontanez View Post

I found that the beds that had brassicas before potatoes in my rotation had no wireworm damage and later I found some publications that the brassicas releases some compounds into the soil that wireworms don't like.
First I've heard of this- think I'll try to plant next year's potatoes where the fall brassicas are going. Thanks for sharing this observation.

kath
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29, 2012   #19
wmontanez
Tomatovillian™

The areas where I had wireworm damage is when I converted lawn area to grow potatoes...

these 2 articles talk about it
http://extension.oregonstate.edu/cat...pnw/pnw607.pdf
http://orgprints.org/10863/1/Wirewor...en_manures.pdf
Old August 3, 2012   #20
zeroma
Tomatovillian™

Default so are spider mites bad

While reading this thread with much zest, as I have French marigolds all over the garden, who knows what is good and what is bad and what do spider mites do anyway?

Do Spider mites become spiders? and aren't spiders good for eatting other bugs?

Much confussin on this issue, no?
zeroma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3, 2012   #21
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

yes bt is definitely organic. i never heard of marigolds to deter thw but i have read they deter nematodes.

bt is so easy and effective why mess around with other things that may not work unless you want to have marigolds. i sprayed and the thw are all gone. i often don't have any thw in some seasons but if i do they seem to come appear one time and not again so i think i'm done with them... but i'll still watch.

tom
And he’s gotta be fast
And he’s gotta be fresh from the fight
I need a hero
I’m holding out for a hero ‘til the morning light
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
And he’s gotta be larger than life
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2018   #22
kdlund
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesL View Post
My very limited knowledge of companion plants -
Borage and Basil to deter hormworms, Petunias to attract them.
The point of attracting them is of course is so you can lure them away from the tomatoes and then "deal with them" as you see fit.
kdlund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2018   #23
kdlund
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesL View Post
My very limited knowledge of companion plants -
Borage and Basil to deter hormworms, Petunias to attract them.
The point of attracting them is of course is so you can lure them away from the tomatoes and then "deal with them" as you see fit.
Although I have heard a lot about borage stoping the tomato worm, I find it untrue. I had two years ago planted over 150 tomatoe plants and got the worm. It dececrated my garden, not matter what I did to get rid of them they just kept multiplying. So I heard of the borage thing and planted it all over the tomato patch last year and still got thusands of worms.
kdlund is offline   Reply With Quote