Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old March 12, 2007   #16
gardenmaniac
Tomatovillian™

Tom,

I admit, I just cook them. I cube them and sautee them like the others. They can also be grated over salads. I bet Andrey would know what to do with them. I am getting some seeds from him that he listed in the SSE yearbook.

I have grown as many of the types as we could find seed for. So far, I haven't grown one I didn't like. They are all very different. I sold many at a local growers market and it was amazing how many people came out of the woodwork that grew up eating the various varieties from their homeland.

You are right, sometimes the green/ white ones (the variety I grow is "green meat" from Kitazawa) are very sweet. I guess it depends on how often I decide to water them. You are also correct in that they will bolt quickly. We have a small planting window here in early September and then they grow through the winter. If there is a big cold snap followed by warm temps. they are done for!

Andrey... can you help us???

Tiffanie
gardenmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2007   #17
natural
Tomatovillian™

We planted a bed of Daikon Radishes one Fall and harvested in the Spring. We did not need to till the garden again for a few years! Best deep tillage technique that I've used.

Kids love the Easter Egg radish mix (red,purple and white). We add a yellow radish from SeedsFromItaly for another color.

We also like the red meat or "Watermelon" radish (from Johnny's). We slice them into large beautiful pink disks.
natural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2007   #18
Miss_Mudcat
Tomatovillian™

Tom, I saw a recipe in Will Weavers book on Heirloom veggies. It goes something like this: Grate winter radishes, salt and let stand. Rinse and toss with oil and vinegar. Never tried it, but sounds tempting.

I've heard that Daikon-type radishes have been planted on soils that are compacted in order to break them up and bring minerals to the surface.

I love to saute white icicle radishes (with about an inch of their greens left on) in butter and garlic... wowsa... so very yummy.

And there is just nothing like going out to the garden for the very first harvest of the season, pulling out a radish, spraying it with the hose and CRUNCH! Oooo it's so good!

Lisa
Old March 14, 2007   #19
gardenmaniac
Tomatovillian™

Lisa, you're making me hungry and I already ate lunch !

White icicle is my son's second favourite (although I don't think he is too picky with the spring types).

Maybe I can squeeze in one more planting of radishes before it gets too hot . We have eaten all of ours already .

Tiffanie
gardenmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2007   #20
michael johnson
Tomatovillian™

French breakfast is probably the most commonest radish and easy to grow-also the most tastiest.

But a real cracker of a radish that used to be sold by thompson and morgans was called Red Prince,- huge crunchy radishes about two and a half inches across and with a real mild nutty flavour-best radish I ever tasted.
michael johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2007   #21
spyfferoni
Tomatovillian™

I planted a Easter egg variety with different colors and one that's called scarlet topper (or something similar)last week. I like my radishes pretty mild, I'm a wimp. I didn't know you could cook them, that sounds interesting. I grew French Breakfast last year. I planted them late, so some of them were pretty strong.

Tyff
spyfferoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2007   #22
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

I just thinned all mine. I have the round section with Hailstone and Purple Plum and the skinny section with White Icicle and Long Scarlet. My dad always grew White Icicle when I was a kid and I remember it as being pretty pungent, but we might have left them in the garden too long. My dad traveled a lot so maybe he wasn't around to pull them out when he should have. I hope these turn out nice. I like Hailstone, another white variety. I grew Long Scarlet last fall and this is my first time growing Purple Plum.
Old March 22, 2007   #23
Miss_Mudcat
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelleybean View Post
we might have left them in the garden too long.
Yes, I've heard that, along with anything that slows their growth, i.e. dry weather, bug attacks, etc. will really cause them to be extra HOT.

Lisa
Old March 22, 2007   #24
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

I can afford to baby everything in my garden right now so I won't let that happen. And on top of that, I need to get all my spring veggies in and out to make room for my beans this summer. They have to go in the same bed and these are all pole beans so the sooner the better. Thanks!
Old March 25, 2007   #25
Araness
Tomatovillian™

I can't grow the darn things...*sigh* easiest thing in the world to grow and I can't!
Old March 26, 2007   #26
honu
Tomatovillian™

Thanks to everyone for all the good radish info!
Can you eat radish greens too?
honu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26, 2007   #27
Miss_Mudcat
Tomatovillian™

Honu,
I'm certain that you can, tho' I think you'd want to cook them until very tender. The summer radish greens are prickly, like turnips. I've read they are very high in vitamin C, tho' that's not really surprising.

Lisa

P.S. I've got summer radishes germinating that I sowed 2 weeks ago, and I sowed a second crop today! Can't wait!
Old March 27, 2007   #28
honu
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Lisa! This thread inspired me to order some Hailstone, Cherry Belle, Pink Beauty, & Plum Purple from Sandhill.
Old March 27, 2007   #29
dokutaaguriin
Tomatovillian™

HI Ann,
I prefer to eat the daikon radish greens, especially the ones bred for that specific purpose (Happa daikon- leaf daikon), than the (hatsuka daikon-20 day) radish leaves.
Jeff
dokutaaguriin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2007   #30
honu
Tomatovillian™

Hi Jeff, Where do you get the happa daikon? Are they OP? Do they have lot of bite? How do you use them? Thanks for the suggestions!