Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old November 5, 2018   #91
sdambr
Tomatovillian™

Sent my package today, should be there by Friday.

"There are only two ways to live your life: as though nothing is a miracle, or as though everything is a miracle."
Albert Einstein
sdambr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2018   #92
Raiquee
Tomatovillian™

Sent my 3 mailers today, sorry it’s a little late, I had to separate out all the NF packs. Anyways, I notice you guys posting postage.

For each mailer I pay less than $4 in shipping, and it’s USPS 2-5 day and includes a tracking number. I use PayPal.com/shipnow. Works great if you have a kitchen scale. I throw on a couple extra ounces in case my scale is off. Never had one come up short of postage or not get there!

I found my mailers at target on clearance on year, 3 pack for .13! I bought a bunch and it will still last me awhile yet.
Old November 10, 2018   #93
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Now comes the mysterious part, where Tormato works his inexplicable voodoo...
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2018   #94
Raiquee
Tomatovillian™

And where we speculate the process and post about sharks (imp) Lol
Old November 10, 2018   #95
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiquee View Post
And where we speculate the process and post about sharks (imp) Lol

This year, I think I'll be joining you in speculating the process.
(I got no time to post about sharks, yet)

With a long holiday weekend, I hope to sort through all packages and make a list of all that has come in. I'll post all non-tomato seed varieties at this thread.

I'm thinking about listing all tomato varieties, too. I do not know if many participants sent in varieties from others' wish lists. I haven't looked at the google/doc for quite awhile, so I don't even know if there's been much posting of wish lists. Listing all varieties would mean no mystery, but perhaps there would be several varieties that participants would want in replacement.

Current participants number only about 30. I'll be working on their packages as a priority. After that, I'll extend the deadline (to NO deadline, other than Spring) and invite others (from T'ville and other web communities) to participate.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2018   #96
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Whoa!
1. Why not list the different varieties that came in, in the MMMM Spoiler thread?
2. THIRTY PEOPLE??? So I've sponsored 10% of the participants this year??!!
3. I seem to have severely overestimated how many packets of each variety to send. Well, you wanted extras.
Old November 10, 2018   #97
Raiquee
Tomatovillian™

Wow I’m also really surprised at the low number of participants. I “sponsored” someone who isn’t on Tville, a friend of mine.

Well I sent 3 mailers but I DONT want 3 back! Only one!! Lol. I pretty much want non-tomato’s there are a few tomatoes on my wish list, but after that, I’m looking for the peppers,eggplants, beans, flowers, squash etc my tomato collection is still saturated from the MMMM a few years ago.
Old November 10, 2018   #98
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Maybe we need to advertise this more. Perhaps a new thread letting people know they've got time, and some simplified rules.
Old November 10, 2018   #99
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

I've tried google docs a few times but with access and other issues I haven't really been able to catch on how to post. Much prefer our old system of posting wish lists on the forum.

I too am surprised that only 30 participants sent in mailers, but there are actually many more participants behind the scenes. I'm in touch with other people on the forum that aren't vocal in participating plus several local gardeners, and will send them seeds or possibly have a meet up.

I was wondering about the current availability of the hybrid seeds from last year. Are there any varieties still available? Only the orange slicer and of course the cherries really knocked me out, but I like to in slip some familiar beefsteaks for my friends "just in case" the hybrids aren't having a great year. (Hybrids performed terrible last year and I was able to give some tasty tomatoes to neighbors!)

- Lisa

Last edited by greenthumbomaha; November 11, 2018 at 01:08 AM.
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2018   #100
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan_PA_6b View Post
Maybe we need to advertise this more. Perhaps a new thread letting people know they've got time, and some simplified rules.

Yep, especially since they can jump in without being seed savers themselves. Maybe we can coax then into saving flower seeds in future seasons. Seems to be easier for my garden club gals to do this since they just snip and save - no fermenting.

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2018   #101
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

It would be fine if folks sent in one or just a few packets of each variety; if someone can spare 5 seeds per variety, they can participate.
Old November 10, 2018   #102
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

I put up a thread called "join the fun" to invite others to participate.
Old November 10, 2018   #103
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

The MMMM Spoiler Alert thread has more posts than this one and around 1400 more views. That means we are posting more about giving than we are posting about receiving seeds. I've been keeping up with it, and I would think that some of you all have too.

What I have experienced in my years - Gardeners, Fishermen/Fisherwomen, and Hunters like to share when they have plenty to help others. I'm not one of those 30 wanting seeds sent to me, but that's because I have limited containers to grow in - and way too many seeds.

The Google Doc was somewhat confusing when I looked at it. Eventually, I did figure it out. I understand why it was used instead of a thread here.

This is Tormato's MMMM, and I thank him for that. I have gotten to grow some tomato varieties I never heard of because of the MMMM. One variety in particular is WOW. Have you ever heard of it? I had not until I got my MMMM mailer. I wonder if I can get it to grow 15' tall?

I personally sent in seeds that will test your tomato growing skills. Some are from 2003. Can you grow tomato plants from 15/16 year old seeds? I know you can because I have done it.

The two paragraphs above are reasons to join the MMMM - you're going to get seeds sent in by people who care.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11, 2018   #104
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Tormato, on the wish list is "Peppers, very hot, <90 days" That is for:

ROM PO E.

Forgot to include that.
Old November 12, 2018   #105
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormato View Post
Current participants number only about 30. I'll be working on their packages as a priority. After that, I'll extend the deadline (to NO deadline, other than Spring) and invite others (from T'ville and other web communities) to participate.
Oh good, I may still join in after all! I saved a lot of seeds but have not had time and space to package them into baggies. I finally set up my desk last week but then had to leave town for a few days, and I thought I’d missed the MMMM again.
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote