Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old April 9, 2021   #76
hovermother22
Tomatovillian™

I start my seeds on a heat mat. What do I do if some of the tomato seedlings have sprouted in the cells -- which are all connected, by the way, so I cannot separate them -- and others have not? In other words, will it harm the ones that have not sprouted to go under the lights with the ones that have sprouted?
hovermother22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9, 2021   #77
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

I have found it more important to get the sprouted ones under light, rather than wait for the unsprouted ones. The unsprouted are likely near the edge of the mat that does not receive or hold the heat as well.

If the sprouted do not receive light, they will get leggy.

The unsprouted might take a little while more but if they are the same quality seed, they will eventually come up with the heat of the lights alone. Just keep them moistened.

By the same token, if I have peppers and eggplants in the same tray/mat as tomatoes, I keep the tomatoes to the outside. The peppers and eggplant want more heat, in general.

I make my own mix for soil blocks so can't directly comment on quality, but I saw some Pro-Mix at walmarts this spring. $13 for 1 cu ft compressed, I think. I was sort of surprised. Pro-Mix has a top notch rep, I thought, so it was weird finding it next to Miracle Grow.
JRinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2021   #78
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

nctomatoman said: "1. The germination mix - I use fresh soilless mix - my brand of choice is Sungrow's MetroMix 360."

It looks like Sungro no longer sells MetroMix 360. Are you still able to get it, or what are you using as a replacement?
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote