Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 23, 2022   #1
garden patch
Tomatovillian™

Default grafting rootstock

I hope I posted this in the right section, has anyone ever tried to graft two rootstock to one tomato plant? I'm wondering if its possible?
garden patch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24, 2022   #2
Yak54
Tomatovillian™

I have not. And I'm not sure why you would want to do this. Can you explain your reasoning ?

Dan
Old March 24, 2022   #3
garden patch
Tomatovillian™

Just for better production. I have a fellow gardner who says the more roots your tomato plants have the better harvest you’ll have. He has says grafting a tomato with a rootstock is one way and the other way is to plant your tomatoes sideways. I have purchased mighty mato plants with great success. So i am wondering if having two rootstocks on to one plant would produce even more yield? I don’t think i have patience to plant my tomatoes sideways..
Old March 24, 2022   #4
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by garden patch View Post
Just for better production. I have a fellow gardner who says the more roots your tomato plants have the better harvest you’ll have. He has says grafting a tomato with a rootstock is one way and the other way is to plant your tomatoes sideways. I have purchased mighty mato plants with great success. So i am wondering if having two rootstocks on to one plant would produce even more yield? I don’t think i have patience to plant my tomatoes sideways..
I have planted my Tomato Sideways many times. And Yes your plant will be stronger, just as planting them deeply.! Amen!!!

I have had a request this year to have grafts from Shepard Mallory Maucadine Grape Vines for sale. I guess I will try this year and let you know How it goes for me.
MrsJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24, 2022   #5
garden patch
Tomatovillian™

I need some training on grafting tomatoes. I hope all goes well with the grape vines