Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 19, 2022   #16
Balr14
Tomatovillian™

I grow mostly heirlooms in Earthboxes. In 15+ years I have had only 4 plants lost to disease. I get great yields, too. The water reservoir insures adequate water supply and is a port for providing food and any treatment. My tomato Earthboxes will use 2.5 gallons of water per day during peak season.
Balr14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2022   #17
slugworth
Tomatovillian™

I got a cutting from an heirloom type plant last Sept. a neighbor has been growing for decades.
The clone only lasted 7 months but it had a small green tomato that turned red and I got 12 seeds.
11 plants ready to plant in a couple of weeks ,so that is accustomed to local conditions.
A few years ago all my hybrid plants got wiped out but the heirlooms kept on going.
slugworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2022   #18
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald51 View Post
I love to grow heirloom tomatoes because most of them taste better than hybrid tomatoes. The downside is that most split and aren't as vigorous and disease resistant as hybrid tomatoes. Are there any heirloom tomatoes that taste great and have good hybrid traits?
From the history I am learning about tomatoes diseases. I truly believe it have something to do with Climate Changes. The extra moisture has hurt my Amish Past Plants for the for time. The large one I placed in the farm are doing well. But the Ones in pots wanting to be planted, is not doing well. I think the extra moisture in playing
gig point.

I think the Amish Paste I planted last Month were planted very deep in the soil on my Farmland. But the ones on my Tables out side the Green house is not looking to good.
This is the first years where my plants are not waiting on me to put them in the ground on my schedule times.

I will dispose of the rest of the Amish Paste today, being on the safe side. I think last week weather destroyed this large crop of Amish Paste Tomato Plants.

Well Back to work for me.
My plants are calling me

I will be gone for a week putting these babies in the ground before anything else suffer from heat we are having this week.
MrsJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2022   #19
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
I grow mostly heirlooms in Earthboxes. In 15+ years I have had only 4 plants lost to disease. I get great yields, too. The water reservoir insures adequate water supply and is a port for providing food and any treatment. My tomato Earthboxes will use 2.5 gallons of water per day during peak season.

Next year I am going to grow Red Robins or Cold Set Tomatoes only in my earth-boxes in my greenhouse. I will never try to grow a Large Heirloom Tomato plant in a Earth-box again durning the winter months.

But good luck this growing season everyone.
But this work is exciting.
Old May 20, 2022   #20
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by slugworth View Post
I got a cutting from an heirloom type plant last Sept. a neighbor has been growing for decades.
The clone only lasted 7 months but it had a small green tomato that turned red and I got 12 seeds.
11 plants ready to plant in a couple of weeks ,so that is accustomed to local conditions.
A few years ago all my hybrid plants got wiped out but the heirlooms kept on going.
That is one of the main wonders of Heirloom. They will proved your house-hold with tomatoes until the cold weather, Amen
Old May 20, 2022   #21
Balr14
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJustice View Post
Next year I am going to grow Red Robins or Cold Set Tomatoes only in my earth-boxes in my greenhouse. I will never try to grow a Large Heirloom Tomato plant in a Earth-box again durning the winter months.
Please elaborate.
Balr14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2022   #22
Yak54
Tomatovillian™

JRinPA

A very good replacement for Eva Purple Ball is Rose De Berne which is very similar but doesn't fall off the plant. Very good taste & production.

Dan
Old May 21, 2022   #23
Yak54
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald51 View Post
I love to grow heirloom tomatoes because most of them taste better than hybrid tomatoes. The downside is that most split and aren't as vigorous and disease resistant as hybrid tomatoes. Are there any heirloom tomatoes that taste great and have good hybrid traits?
My experience since switching to grow bags and soil less growing material has dramatically reduced disease issues. My preferences lean toward pink beefsteak types and I've had high productivity from SOTW, Polish, German Head, Lucky Cross, Dester and Cherokee Purple with minor disease issues. Never had splitting issues unless there was lots of rain. As far as plants being vigorous goes these above mentioned varieties usually end up being 8 ft. tall and give me more than 35 fruit per plant. As far as taste goes my humble taste buds rate these as 9 out of 10. But that's just me.

Dan
Old May 24, 2022   #24
slugworth
Tomatovillian™

I ordered some german johnson seeds for next year instead of buying plants.
I was telling a greenhouse guy it was a good tomato for hot weather or drought conditions.
I looked it up afterwards and I was correct in my statements.
My concern this year is hurricane season that always cuts my garden fun short.
They say this year is going to be similar to 2020 and 2021 they will have to add that * to the standard plant hardiness zone map.
Picking tomatoes that are already salted.The salt spray does the plants in.
slugworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2022   #25
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

How close to the ocean are you to get salt spray on the tomatoes?
JRinPA is offline   Reply With Quote