Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 3, 2019   #16
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulTandberg View Post

They are nicely shaped with no cracks, lumps, warts, splits, or odd protrusions. Perfect slicers with good size.

I will let the season finish. I have only eaten three. But the plant is healthy and loaded with fruit, so I will be eating more shortly. But so far, very promising.

(I grew Johnny's "Marnero" for two years. Chef's Choice has more fruit and is much better tasting. For me, "Marnaro" was a very good looking tomato, but its taste was definitely on the bland and insipid side of the fence. I got nice production early with a pronounced drop off.

I've given up on Cherokee Purple and Paul Robeson. Haven't tried Carbon.)
The no cracks is music to my ears.

I never tried Johnny's Marnero because I grow outside and didn't have 14 hours of sun in the most productive part of the season. Just as well.

I've given up on CP also; too many cracks and non-consistent size fruit.

JD Special Tex (or close enough) was the worst crack tomato ever, although it was loaded and consistent in size.

Dana's Dusky Rose plant doesn't get huge and doesn't crack badly, fairly productive and consistent with fruit size.

I'm going to grow Black from Tula again; I remember it was good.

Since I will have to pay for shipping, I was going to order the Cherokee / Carbon also but now think I will pass. I will look around for seeds I certainly don't need but will order. I wish someone besides TotallyTomato sold them so I could order something other than tomatoes.

Thank you for getting back to us.

Last edited by Barb_FL; August 3, 2019 at 04:12 PM.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3, 2019   #17
eyegrotom
Tomatovillian™

Hi Barb I have Cherokee/Carbon seeds, if you want some send me a PM. Mike
eyegrotom is offline   Reply With Quote