Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 31, 2019   #1
JosephineRose
Tomatovillian™

Default The latest you've ever planted

Short version: started seeds in March, had to resow some.

Parents went into hospice at transplant time, and I have been caregiving. Many plants were still in solo cups until late June, when I finally transplanted the majority. Still had 12 plants left to go in.

Last night, I transplanted my final 6 to earthboxes. Three were cherries. The good news is my first frost date is December, and our hottest month is usually September. The bad news is, we have been known to have a rare two day November frost.

Couldn't be helped, my parents are actively dying, and there has been no time for anything. So it's an experimental year - how late can I plant and still get a crop? Last year was not absurdly warm for us, and I was still harvesting as late as November. Fingers crossed.

Curious, what is the latest you've ever transplanted?
JosephineRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31, 2019   #2
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

I'm sorry to hear about your parents' situation and that you are in the midst of that stress.
Understandably gardening has taken the back burner. Hopefully it is also a reminder that life does go on .. That has been my consolence during the time my parents have been unwell and I've been the caregiver.

The latest for me to plant tomatoes has been in later June early July. That was when I was living in a very warm apartment with almost tropical conditions on my balcony. Those plants produced fruit in September. Outside in normal conditions (without a greenhouse) that would not have been possible..
You are fortunate to have such a long season
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31, 2019   #3
slugworth
Tomatovillian™

Plants vs seeds is the question.
Nobody around here is still selling plants.
I started seeds july 26th but that is for next year.
I would pick 60 day wonders that are a decent size.
I had 4th of july hybrids and bloody butcher in 60 days
from setting out plants.With creative cutting you can use
them on sandwiches.Had a blt today with 1.
slugworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31, 2019   #4
slugworth
Tomatovillian™

I have plants now hardening off,just waiting for a spot in the garden.
I can always pick green if frost hits.
slugworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31, 2019   #5
maxjohnson
Tomatovillian™

I moved to Ohio last year and started Brandywine and a few others as late as August, managed to harvest a few fruits and the rest indoor ripen. This year I'll keep myself busy with microdwarves during winter.
maxjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31, 2019   #6
bower
Tomatovillian™

This is my latest year ever as well. Plants didn't go into their final container until early July, when I'm often harvesting my first ripes. I have a few green fruit by now, but there's not much sunshine in the greenhouse once we hit the equinox in September. You can keep plants alive but it's far from primo. So I'm not expecting too much.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1, 2019   #7
shule1

The latest I've transplanted a tomato and gotten fruit (though not a lot) was July. Our first frost is usually around October 10th.
Old August 1, 2019   #8
zeuspaul
Tomatovillian™

I got a late start due to some health issues. I usually have about 100 plants in the garden sometime in April. This year I purchased three and put them in containers mid July. I rooted a couple of cuttings so I will end up with only five plants.

The Cherokee Purple already has a golf ball sized tomato. This plant had a couple of pea sized tomatoes when I got it. The Big Boy and the Early Girl have a couple of flowers.
zeuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1, 2019   #9
Shrinkrap
Tomatovillian™

I assume you mean planting tomatoes, and for me, in SF Bay area- central valley-ish climate, I'd say Mid May. I think some folks do a fall tomato plating

BUT it's not only about tomatoes. Gardening can be about so many things.

Depending on where you are, you can have an amazing gardening experience in the fall and winter. Fall and winter gardening can be rewarding too.

Last edited by Shrinkrap; August 1, 2019 at 03:16 AM.
Shrinkrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1, 2019   #10
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephineRose View Post
Short version: started seeds in March, had to resow some.

Parents went into hospice at transplant time, and I have been caregiving. Many plants were still in solo cups until late June, when I finally transplanted the majority. Still had 12 plants left to go in.

Last night, I transplanted my final 6 to earthboxes. Three were cherries. The good news is my first frost date is December, and our hottest month is usually September. The bad news is, we have been known to have a rare two day November frost.

Couldn't be helped, my parents are actively dying, and there has been no time for anything. So it's an experimental year - how late can I plant and still get a crop? Last year was not absurdly warm for us, and I was still harvesting as late as November. Fingers crossed.

Curious, what is the latest you've ever transplanted?
I had to restart some tomato seeds about a week ago (Last week of July) Our first frost is whenever it chooses to be, but usually around November 20th.

I admire you for wanting to garden in such a tough time, and I understand. If you would like to PM me - I'll listen.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1, 2019   #11
JosephineRose
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrinkrap View Post
I assume you mean planting tomatoes, and for me, in SF Bay area- central valley-ish climate, I'd say Mid May. I think some folks do a fall tomato plating

BUT it's not only about tomatoes. Gardening can be about so many things.

Depending on where you are, you can have an amazing gardening experience in the fall and winter. Fall and winter gardening can be rewarding too.

Absolutely true, and I do. All gardening was put on hold. My intention was to be in full production this year in my new back garden, but it was not to be.

Tomatoes are my passion though, and I was set up and ready to rock with it and all of my summer produce seedlings. Trying to salvage what I can, do what I can when I can, and take a positive attitude by making it an "experimental" year.
Old August 1, 2019   #12
JosephineRose
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
I had to restart some tomato seeds about a week ago (Last week of July) Our first frost is whenever it chooses to be, but usually around November 20th.

I admire you for wanting to garden in such a tough time, and I understand. If you would like to PM me - I'll listen.
Thank you for that.

In all honesty, things have been so stressful, there has been no time to decompress - and forget about "self-care." Showers and sleep are luxuries.

The garden has always been my stress relief, as I find I am truly in the moment when I am trying to make things grow. To see all the prep work made between January and April literally sit and die because I cannot get to planting has been a difficult reminder of fragility. Gardening is about creating abundant life, and I am facing the stark realities of death.

It has been relentless this year with my parents illnesses, and I think I would have handled it better with some sort of outlet. So I am stealing what time I have to try to create life in the face of lifelessness, as they say.
Old August 1, 2019   #13
bower
Tomatovillian™

I love your attitude to "make it experimental". It won't be a normal garden year but you will see a side of things that is different. There will be precious moments and they will help with the awful stress of losing your folks.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1, 2019   #14
Shrinkrap
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephineRose View Post
Absolutely true, and I do. All gardening was put on hold. My intention was to be in full production this year in my new back garden, but it was not to be.

Tomatoes are my passion though, and I was set up and ready to rock with it and all of my summer produce seedlings. Trying to salvage what I can, do what I can when I can, and take a positive attitude by making it an "experimental" year.
Whatever works!

Last edited by Shrinkrap; August 1, 2019 at 04:53 PM.
Shrinkrap is offline   Reply With Quote