Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Post your favorite tomato-based recipes here.

Old February 19, 2006   #1
TomatoDon
Tomatovillian™

Default BLT's and Tomato Sandwiches

I've been waiting for someone to start this thread, but since no one did I thought I'd get the ball rolling, and give sandwiches their own special thread.

A good BLT is a big thing for all tomato lovers. As simple as it sounds, there are still many different ways to make a BLT and other tomato sandwiches. All sorts of fresh bread to use, toasted bread, just plain tomato on toast, many different spreads and dressings, some store bought, some home made, and all sorts of other ways to make and enjoy a tomato sandwich. I especially like seeing the international scoop on such things. Maybe we can discover a true and unique favorite here, and name our own tomato sandwich!

All I know how to do right now is the regular old way. I'm sure many of you have some great recipes. Can't wait to see em.

Don
Old February 22, 2006   #2
TomatoDon
Tomatovillian™

Aw, come on. Surely someone can post here with a favorite way to make a BLT or tomato sandwich!

Wheat? Light bread? Toasted? Mayo? Salad dressing? Crisp bacon? Bacon bits? Fresh sliced tomato or fried green? Cheese? Jalopenas? Plain tomato and bread? There's got to me dozens of was to do this, and you all have your favorite way. Let me hear!

Don
Old February 22, 2006   #3
Miss_Mudcat
Tomatovillian™

Well, I have been conformed to a"eat only home-made wheat bread cause it's good for you" kind of person. HOWEVER... I can't help but drift back to Sunbeam white bread dreams of the tomato sandwiches I ate as a child. Go for a swim in the creek until you are exhausted and shaking with hunger. Hurry home and make a sandwich with soft, sticky Sunbeam or Colonial bread with Blue Plate Mayo, lots of salt, and one slice of a giant, acid-tart red tomato (the bacon is optional). And of course, an ice-cold Coca-Cola... the old fashion ones... before they ever changed the formula!

Yum YUM!
Lisa
Old February 22, 2006   #4
bonekittyslug
Tomatovillian™

I can't help but go back to basics with my BLT's.

Two slices el cheapo white bread, toasted. Light smear of un-named white stuff on each. Crispy bacon, about 5 half slices. Lettuce, of course. 3/8" to 1/2" thick slices of perfectly ripe maters to cover bread.

Bacon goes on one slice of toast, lettuce on other slice of toast, mater in the middle so it won't sog out the toast too soon! Salt and pepper on maters.

Why am I torturing myself like this??

The life of a cat...Sleep 'til you're hungry...Eat 'til you're tired!

Spay or neuter your best friend!!
bonekittyslug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2006   #5
TomatoDon
Tomatovillian™

Some great ideas and pics. Fine stuff. I was tempted to copy some of them here. In fact, I may still do it!

Don
Old February 23, 2006   #6
landarc
Tomatovillian™

Don,

AS you will notice, a few of us here are represented on that other thread. The best BLT (in fact, the only BLT) last year was from the NORCATT gathering. There were so many tomatoes, and so little time, and since it would be my only BLT for the year, it was fabulous.

Before the sodium restriction, bacon was a passion. A good BLT needs great bacon and great tomatoes. I prefer red romaine, or some mesclun, for the greenery.

Bob

Bob
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2006   #7
TomatoDon
Tomatovillian™

Yes, Bob, there are just some things you have to do the wrong way to get it the right way. A GOOD BLT is one of them. Thick, fat, salty bacon, buttered toast, fat-heavy mayo, and all the other good stuff. Some things I just can't give up!

I went to the BLT web site posted earlier, and saw things I'd never heard of. I drolled for three hours, and then had to wipe my hands with a Tidy-Wipe. I'm still licking my fingers.

Don
Old February 26, 2006   #8
bully
Tomatovillian™

greatest sammy of all time.

unless you ruin it with miracle whip.....

let the mayo wars begin
bully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27, 2006   #9
landarc
Tomatovillian™

Ahhh, Bully,

but which mayo? and how much? on both pieces of bread, or just one? butter knife or spoon?

Bob
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2006   #10
angelstiger
Tomatovillian™

I don't care what kind of bread. I don't care if there is bacon or not. As long as there is a thick center slice of a "real" tomato, and "real" mayonaisse. Keep that nasty miracle stuff away.
Old February 28, 2006   #11
Tomstrees
Tomatovillian™

speaking of diets - I had to settle for bacon bits
and low-fat mayo (Hellman's of course)
~ here's mine :

oh, the glory days of fatty foods ~ Tom
Tomstrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2006   #12
valereee
Tomatovillian™

Default BLT Rules

1. Bread must be white, but of a dense homemade style, and should bring some flavor to the party.
2. Bread must be lightly toasted. Enough to crisp the sides and color the edges, not enough to make it crumble when you take a bite.
3. Spread must be full-fat Hellmans. For those who are dieting (as I have been since I was 17): The key is choosing quality over quantity. One good BLT and ten salads is better than ten bad BLTs.
4. Spread goes on both pieces of bread to prevent sogginess, but thickness of spread is a matter of personal taste.
5. Bacon must be thick-cut and chewy-crisp. There IS such a thing as too much bacon, but the rules do not specify how much is too much. That's a private matter between each sandwichmaker and his or her physician. Turkey bacon or veggie bacon is allowed for those with religious, medical, or ethical issues.
6. Lettuce must be iceberg, the juicy greenish-white parts, not the bitter all-white parts or thin dryish all-green parts. Several layers is called for.
7. Tomato must be at least 1/2" thick and MUST BE sandwich-sized. Color of tomato is left to the individual.
8. Correct layering is: bread, spread, tomato, bacon, lettuce, spread, bread. This is because bread and bacon will both provide some friction, while tomato provides little and lettuce almost none. Tomato against lettuce will always result in slippage and therefore is not recommended.

Val
valereee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2006   #13
Emaewest
Tomatovillian™

Val: Excellent set of BLT rules.

The only exceptions I would make would be for number 6, since I find lettuce is optional (though I still called it a BLT because there's something unappetizing about a BT sandwich, for some reason. :wink: ) and number 7, because I will use any sized tomato, except maybe a cherry (though I've used those, too, out of sheer desperation! )

3 to 5 slices of bacon seem to be about right, depending on the size of the bread. The bread we get is quite tall and can easily accomodate 5 bacon slices.

I'm really hungry now!

"Some people have a way with words, and other people... not have way." ---Steve Martin
Emaewest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2006   #14
MsCowpea
Tomatovillian™

BACON BITS AND LOW FAT MAYO????????????

that could be used as an example under the definition of :

sac·ri·le·gious ( P ) Pronunciation Key (skr-ljs, -ljs)
adj.
Grossly irreverent toward what is or is held to be sacred.
Having committed sacrilege. ( I.E. eating bacon sandwich made with bacon bits and low-fat mayonaise)

(Miracle Whip-yuk. It is 30 calories less per TBL than mayo but it isn't worth it. My mother prefers it and that was all we had as children-talk about a deprived childhood!)

"When we kill off the natural enemies of a pest we inherit their work."
Carl Huffaker
MsCowpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2006   #15
TomatoDon
Tomatovillian™

Val,

Yes Ma'am. Your posted rules of a BLT are most appropriate. I will observe them carefully. And I especially agree with one thing. Slippage is not recommended.

Now, as to Mayo vs. Miracle Whip...I will sit and watch the rest of the thread...then try both when the first slicers come into fruit. Here...it will be late May, I hope.

Don