Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating fruit-bearing plants, trees, flowers and ornamental plants.

Old January 27, 2015   #1
peebee
Tomatovillian™

Default Baba raspberries are back!

To anyone who has been searching for the elusive Baba berry, they are back in production! They used to be fairly common here in CA, but for some reason they became very hard to find. This year, Dave Wilson Nursery has started selling them thru private nurseries (not big box stores). Armstrong has them at $12.99 but I found plenty at another smaller nursery for only $9.99. If you go to the Dave Wilson website there is a listing of where you can find it.
peebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27, 2015   #2
shatbox
Tomatovillian™

Peebee have you grown them before?
shatbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27, 2015   #3
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

The large private nursery near me THAT NEVER HAD BABABERRIES BEFORE sells a lot of Dave Armstrong stuff. I bet if I check, they will be there NOW. Oh well. At least we got them without paying obnoxious shipping charges.
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27, 2015   #4
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

This is good news. I have been looking online at these over the last year or so but never pulled the trigger since it was TYTY selling them. What is your recommended online resource for Bababerry plants?

I remember reading something about this variety was hard to propagate and that is why they had gotten hard to find. I could be completely wrong on that though.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2015   #5
peebee
Tomatovillian™

BigVV, go to Dave Wilson's site and search for the link on where to buy. I'm not sure if there is an online source for them from CA, but you could always contact them.
Shatbox, no I have never but I've read about them on some local blogs and the reports all were glowing. Until now we've been faced with disappointments for our zone, like Heritage. Babas, according to legend, were accidentally discovered by a woman here in So. CA. They were so popular and common, then suddenly they were nowhere to be seen. After years of requests, some growers have listened. So I am spreading the word for us home gardeners here, there is hope that yes we can grow raspberries.
peebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29, 2015   #6
shatbox
Tomatovillian™

Just on the history alone I'm gonna have to try them, although they will have to live in containers.
shatbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29, 2015   #7
Tapout
Tomatovillian™

Sounds interesting, I never had a Bababerry before nor ever heard of them.
Tapout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29, 2015   #8
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Didn't see anyone on that site, near me with the Baba berry. I will have to ask my extension agent if he knows a source.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote