Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating fruit-bearing plants, trees, flowers and ornamental plants.

Old July 16, 2012   #16
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crandrew View Post
awesome Worth!! Wait so did you already build the raised bed for these or do you still need to do so?
Thanks, Not yet I messed my left shoulder up a little and am giving it a rest.
Its been going on now for about 3 months or more.
Seems as though I cant toss around 200 pounds like I used to do.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3, 2012   #17
Deborah
Riding The Crazy Train Again

Worth, just this morning I cut off the top of a really GOOD and sugary-sweet pineapple. The tag says grown in Costa Rica.
I'm confused-where do I cut? I don't want to ruin it. Can it root in water? Until I know where to cut I have it in water.
Deborah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3, 2012   #18
FILMNET
Tomatovillian™

Very great Worth, I ate them in Thailand every day, i loved them i was 5,6,7 yrs old
FILMNET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3, 2012   #19
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
Worth, just this morning I cut off the top of a really GOOD and sugary-sweet pineapple. The tag says grown in Costa Rica.
I'm confused-where do I cut? I don't want to ruin it. Can it root in water? Until I know where to cut I have it in water.
If you go to the beginning of this thread it will show you how it is supposed to look like.
Just cut the top off like you normally would and trim off the flesh till it looks like the picture.

It is better to root in potting soil as it will be established better.
Have patience it will take some time to take root.
A month or two, one of mine had the roots killed off for one reason or another for over 6 months before it took hold.
They are like a cactus, one other one was rotten but after the end of this summer it has now divided into two plants from the side.

They all look great now and doing fine, I had to put two of them in bigger pots.
Will post pictures tomorrow.

Worth
Old November 3, 2012   #20
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

What the who I went out and took pictures anyway.
Don't pay any attention to that big thing in the background, it is an agave that has over ran the container.
Worth

Attachment 29929

Attachment 29930
Here is a blurry picture of the one that was rotten but put out twins after an excruciatingly long time.
Attachment 29931
Bonus pony tale palms i divided from two plants I bought at the store.
It will take forever for them to get tree sized but they are so sweet.
Attachment 29932

Last edited by Worth1; November 17, 2012 at 05:41 PM.
Old November 4, 2012   #21
Deborah

That was nice of you to take more pictures. Welp, I cut into it looking for roots but there wasn't anything that even remotely resembled roots so I threw it out. Rats.
Old November 4, 2012   #22
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
That was nice of you to take more pictures. Welp, I cut into it looking for roots but there wasn't anything that even remotely resembled roots so I threw it out. Rats.
Deborah, I have been growing pineapples for a long time, and they aren't very fussy, I cut off the whole top along with about 1 inch, or even 3/4 inch only of the pineapple flesh, and just plant the flesh part by burying it but leaving the top above ground.. all the fibers turn into roots. It takes a pineapple about a year and a half to start to produce a new fruit, which it does by sending up a beautiful bromeliad flower "cone" and each little section flowers then it becomes a little section of the whole pineapple. They will get about 4 feet across on the leaves before the center starts to widen and the bromeliad comes through.
When the pineapple starts to turn horizontal it's close to ready, just leave it on until it is bright yellow and you won't believe how sweet it will be. Thats about 5 months after you see the flower coming through.
When it is ripe and bright yellow, simply grab the pineapple by the stalk, give it a twist, and it breaks off easily.
Then leave the plant there, because a new shoot will become the next plant and the next generation of pineapple.
My first plant has had 6 pineapples on it so far over the years, and it is the energizer bunny...
This picture shows it really well:http://www.tickledred.com/planting-a-pineapple/
I think this will help.
-Marsha
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5, 2012   #23
Deborah

Marsha, thanks ! I'll try this with another one. This sounds like planting the rooted ends of green onions (which I do) and never having to buy green onions.
Old November 9, 2012   #24
noinwi
Tomatovillian™

We just moved back to Western WA state and when we arrived, a family member gave us one of those Costa Rican pineapples. It sat on the kitchen counter for days while we were unpacking(and we're still unpacking, lol) until I could smell it across the room. I told DH we were having it NOW. Man, was it sweet! I brought in a large planter from the mudroom in which a houseplant had died(from neglect, not disease)and stuck the top in the soil. It's sitting on a table near a window. Too soon to tell if it will grow...hope it does. Even if it never sets another fruit, at least I'll have a nice houseplant. The houseplants plants I brought with me froze to death when we broke down in Montana(they were stuck in a U-Haul trailer for a week). I grew a pineapple out once before in this area but I don't remember what happened to it. I may have left it to someone during another move. I do remember being stabbed by it several times.
noinwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9, 2012   #25
gardenhappy
Tomatovillian™

We have quite a few pineapple plants but When we first moved to florida after 2 years of waiting we got our first 6 pineapples on our plants. The long wait begam as i watched them grow and almost be ready to eat,then my daughter's horse got out and guess what?horses love pineapple,Jubbilee went down the row and ate everyone of them.I can't even begin to explain how mad i was at that horse!!!!!!
gardenhappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9, 2012   #26
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenhappy View Post
We have quite a few pineapple plants but When we first moved to florida after 2 years of waiting we got our first 6 pineapples on our plants. The long wait begam as i watched them grow and almost be ready to eat,then my daughter's horse got out and guess what?horses love pineapple,Jubbilee went down the row and ate everyone of them.I can't even begin to explain how mad i was at that horse!!!!!!
LOL!
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote