Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating fruit-bearing plants, trees, flowers and ornamental plants.

Old March 28, 2007   #16
Sherry_AK
Tomatovillian™

Hi, David. I think it would be beneficial to amend your soil with composted manure and peat moss.

I germinate my seeds at room temp (indoors, around 68 degrees F) in Jiffy Mix or ProMix. To be certain of success, I generally leave some seeds on the surface and cover others lightly and it seems not to matter too much. They get the normal indoor light during germination and then I move them to growlights. Of course at this time of year it's still pretty cool indoors here. Once the house starts heating up during the day, I move them to growlights in the garage where it stays around 60 degrees. That's where they stay till it's time to harden them off in May. They grow pretty slowly at first, but then suddenly they'll take off.

Wish I'd known you wanted some ... I have plenty to share. Do let me know if you need more.

Good luck!

Sherry
Sherry_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2007   #17
DavidinCT
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry_AK View Post
I germinate my seeds at room temp (indoors, around 68 degrees F) in Jiffy Mix or ProMix. . .
Excellent! Exactly the conditions here. Because of your information & pictures I was going to try to grow them no matter what but some Meconopis sites put me off by stressing how difficult they are to grow (germination occurs only between 41 and 59 degrees, light is needed, half the seeds won't germinate etc..etc).

Appreciate the seed offer! Had to get some trellis netting (which I had been putting off doing) so went ahead and ordered rather than ask. They'll be here by Monday and I'll let you know when they come up. If they do well here (and I won't be surprised if they do) I know a lot of people will be growing them next year. You will be responsible for introducing meconopis to the Connecticut central coast from Alaska...
DavidinCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2007   #18
Sherry_AK
Tomatovillian™

I'll be most anxious to hear of your progress. Be sure to give them (even the tiny seedlings) plenty of water. Like my other seedlings, I water from the bottom. After they get about 1/2" tall I start giving them a very dilute fish fertilizer about once a week.

Regards,

Sherry
Old March 31, 2007   #19
honu
Tomatovillian™

Sherry, that turquoise color is so gorgeous!
honu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2007   #20
flowerpower
Tomatovillian™

I think I would treat it like a regular poppy to start them. Most poppies need light to germinate. So you wet the soil & press the seeds into it.

Here is a good link that had some good info

http://www.devonian.ualberta.ca/getgro5.html
flowerpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2007   #21
jenn_sc
SPLATT™ Coordinator

Sherry

Gorgeous flowers! When I first looked at your screen name, I assumed the "AK" was for Arkansas!
I got all excited thinking that any flower that thrived in Arkansas could survive in South Carolina! Then I found that "Ak" was for ALASKA!!! lol

So I don't think they will make it here after all!

Simply beautiful pics...you must be proud

Jennifer
jenn_sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2007   #22
Sherry_AK
Tomatovillian™

Honu -- Thanks!

Jennifer -- Thanks to you too! The state abbreviation for Alaska gives us all kinds of problems. Some folks think it's AL; some think it's AR. I once had a service call to Sears and when the guy didn't show up I called the "800" number and the woman asked me exactly where in Arkansas I live! And don't even get me started about all the merchants who won't sell (mail order) to us because they don't believe us to be part of the United States! Sheesh!

Sherry
Old April 12, 2007   #23
honu
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
And don't even get me started about all the merchants who won't sell (mail order) to us because they don't believe us to be part of the United States!
Sherry, LOL, same experience here... A contestant on the show, "Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader" was asked how many states are bordered by the Pacific Ocean, and she could only think of 3.
honu is offline   Reply With Quote