Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old February 25, 2015   #1
John501
Tomatovillian™

Default Heat for seed germination

When germinating tomato seed, does it matter whether they have bottom heat (heating mat), or if the entire flat is kept in a container of the desired temperature?

TIA,
John
John501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25, 2015   #2
RayR
Tomatovillian™

What matters is the soil temperature, I usually keep it at 70°F-75°F or a little higher. For me I need a heat mat with thermostat to do that since my seed starting setup is in my basement where the air temperature is usually around 60°F. You cam germinate at a lower temperature but it may take a little longer.
A kitchen or bar temperature probe is a handy way to test your soil temperature.
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25, 2015   #3
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Tomatoes will germinate fine at a normal room temperature without bottom heat. it will take 1 or 2 days longer but that will make no difference. Most important is to get them uncovered and to bright light as soon as the first ones are up.
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25, 2015   #4
Douglas_OW
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by John501 View Post
When germinating tomato seed, does it matter whether they have bottom heat (heating mat), or if the entire flat is kept in a container of the desired temperature?

TIA,
John
No, it doesn't.
As others stated, the goal is to get the soil warm, usually between 75 and 85 degrees F. Bottom heat is usually the easiest way to do this, but any method that warms the soil will do. The added heat isn't essential, but some growers get better results - faster germination, higher germination rates, at warmer tempertures.

Here is an example that might answer your question:

http://tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=9979

Jim
Douglas_OW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25, 2015   #5
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I usually use a space heater and heat the room or germinating chamber. I keep having heaters with safety shut-downs in them that turns them off when they get hot. I've found I have one heater without a shutoff feature, and with the thermostat cranked, I can manage to keep the room in the mid-70's. I would prefer 80s, but will take what I can get. I am running cfl lights right above the flats, so hopefully they will warm the media a little more.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25, 2015   #6
John501
Tomatovillian™

Thanks to all for the information. I have something I want to try, but got to thinking (and wondering) about this.

Thanks again,
John
John501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2015   #7
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I kept the room temperature at 75F. All the tomatoes germinated within 10 days. I started 62 varieties of tomatoes this way. No heat mat.

Peppers were different. 21 of 24 varieties started just fine with the 75F room temperature, but the other 3 varieties needed some help. I used an old fashioned heating pad raising the soil temperature to 90F. It did work for two, but the last one never came up.

I've read that there are certain pepper varieties that will not germinate if the pro mix is wet at all. I wish I could remember those varieties, but I do not.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27, 2015   #8
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Seeds just need certain amount of heat/temperature. It does not matter how they get, from what they get it. So if your room temperature is 70F, then everything in there (soil, seeds, moisture) will be 70F. Bottom heating is just a convenient method. Eventually heat has to rise through the soil and get to the seeds
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote