Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old February 4, 2015   #16
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxwindjammer View Post
Thanks for the tip, WWP! I suppose if I start them under the verilux and leave them under there rather than transferring to my shop light grow system, I should be okay?

RayR, it is bright but just wasn't sure of the spectrum. I think I will give it a shot. I always believe that nothing ventured, nothing gained so I will do a test and report back (not that most people will take interest because it is a specialized light that many won't have).

Thanks again!
I did a little more digging and found the specs for that 27W bulb.

CFML27VLX(CFML27VLX10K) Verilux lamp replacement bulb. Verilux 27w natural spectrum replacement bulbs are energy efficient and long lasting. The CFML27VLX produces bright white light similar to natural daylight. The full spectrum white light delivers high contrast and very accurate color rendering and color separation. This bulb and all full spectrum reading lamps produce much less glare than ordinary "yellow" incandescent bulbs.
Verilux CFML27VLX light output is correlated with a color temperature of 5700 degrees kelvin. The Verilux CFML27VLX has a color rendering index of 85 CRI. The rated lamp life is 10 000 hours and utilizes a 4 pin design. CFML27VLX also fits lamps from Sharper Image, Bell and Howell, and Oreck 3in1.
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4, 2015   #17
Tapout
Tomatovillian™

hmm 5700K you say? Yes this will cover the vegetative stage somewhat. This link will explain what I have been trying to say in a more clear way. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grow_li...t_spectra_used
Tapout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4, 2015   #18
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapout View Post
hmm 5700K you say? Yes this will cover the vegetative stage somewhat. This link will explain what I have been trying to say in a more clear way. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grow_li...t_spectra_used
Ya, it'll work for whatever seedling that can fit under the desk lamp, up close to the bulb. Since the light from the 27W CFL is concentrated to a small area, the seedling will get plenty of light for vegetative growth until it's time to move them to more roomy quarters under the shop lights.
I did something similar a few years ago, I had a small basil plant growing under a desk lamp with a 25W Ottlite full spectrum CFL and it was happy.
Aerogarden's with CFL's are 26W full spectrum, so it's similar to the desk lamp.
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4, 2015   #19
Misfit
Tomatovillian™

Cheap T-8 fixtures have worked for me.

-Jimmy
Misfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5, 2015   #20
Tapout
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misfit View Post
Cheap T-8 fixtures have worked for me.

-Jimmy
Ok but thats like saying random spectrum cheap bulbs did well for me.

You have to be more specific about the color spectrum in order for someone to duplicate your success with cheap bulbs.
Tapout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6, 2015   #21
pdxwindjammer
Tomatovillian™

Mistfit, thanks but I am really looking to find out if THIS particular light will work for a few plants because, as I have mentioned, I have a larger scale set up for my large scale operation. From the replies, I think it will so I will give it a try until I set up my larger grow operation.

Thanks!
pdxwindjammer is offline   Reply With Quote