Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating fruit-bearing plants, trees, flowers and ornamental plants.

Old February 29, 2008   #31
phreddy
Tomatovillian™

Hi Hristo,
Paw-Paw has loads of seed maybe buying one is the answer. I will look to see if I can find one in Penang and bring it with me.
What part of BG are you living?
phreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2008   #32
Hristo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by phreddy View Post
and bring it with me.
That answers my question to you on medlar post.

I'm in Shumen
Hristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2008   #33
Hristo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by phreddy View Post
Paw-Paw has loads of seed maybe buying one is the answer. I will look to see if I can find one in Penang and bring it with me.
In Goji berry post you write that you are in Malaysia. If thats right you are talking about Papaya aka Pawpaw (just as Volvo from Australia did), not the North American species known as Pawpaw.
Old March 1, 2008   #34
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

phreddy, just remember that what your getting in southeast asia most likely is not the same as the American pawpaw and probably wouldn't survive our european winters. Hristo, I may be able to help you on the seed. I'll get back to you this weekend. Ami
Old March 3, 2008   #35
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Here is a site that sells Paw Paw seeds. Ami
http://seedrack.com/01.html

It's at the bottom of the page.
Old March 3, 2008   #36
Hristo
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the link. Unfortunately their seeds are of unknown origin, so probably they are of some wild tree with low quality fruits, otherwise they will advertise high quality seeds... I think so...
Old March 4, 2008   #37
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Hristo, I have seed from the website I gave you plus seed from Les Semences Du Puy a seed outfit in France. If you want to give them a try let me know and I'll send you some seed.
Old March 21, 2013   #38
John3
Tomatovillian™

I know this is an old thread but no need to start a new one here are a few updates on Paw Paws

John3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2013   #39
John3
Tomatovillian™

Also uses for the leaves plus other uses for Paw Paw Trees

Last edited by John3; March 21, 2013 at 09:30 PM.
Old March 21, 2013   #40
John3
Tomatovillian™

One Man's Journey to getting Paw Paw fruit.

Old March 22, 2013   #41
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Got seeds to spare?
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2013   #42
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

Default Pawpaw (Asimina triloba)

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?KTNLF 9 June 2012 Pawpaw (Asimina triloba)
This is the fifth year in the garden and still no sign of fruit. The growth is excellent and the tree is about ten feet tall. Much growth from the 2011 photos.

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?CEZTY 5 June 2011 Pawpaw (Asimina triloba)
This is the fourth year for these two trees, which were about five years old bare roots when planted. I am hoping for fruit this year, but see no evidence of buds. One is in partial shade and the other is in full sun. Both are thriving.

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?TTXLQ 27 May 2010 American Pawpaw (Asimina triloba) Two trees are in the garden, planted three years ago, purchase with about three years of growth. Both appear to be doing well this year. There are many more leaves showing. One tree is in partial shade during part of the day, and the other is in full Sun.
Durgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2013   #43
John3
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durgan View Post
http://www.durgan.org/URL/?KTNLF 9 June 2012 Pawpaw (Asimina triloba)
This is the fifth year in the garden and still no sign of fruit. The growth is excellent and the tree is about ten feet tall. Much growth from the 2011 photos.

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?CEZTY 5 June 2011 Pawpaw (Asimina triloba)
This is the fourth year for these two trees, which were about five years old bare roots when planted. I am hoping for fruit this year, but see no evidence of buds. One is in partial shade and the other is in full sun. Both are thriving.

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?TTXLQ 27 May 2010 American Pawpaw (Asimina triloba) Two trees are in the garden, planted three years ago, purchase with about three years of growth. Both appear to be doing well this year. There are many more leaves showing. One tree is in partial shade during part of the day, and the other is in full Sun.

"Asimina triloba pawpaw to which you are referring, this species is monoecious, meaning it has separate male and female flowers which both occur on the same plant. In this case, the flowers may be developing at different times, so the plant isn't capable of self-fertilization. This is common strategy among monoecious plants. In others, the pollen must come from a different tree of the same species."
One reason for the phrase PawPaw Patch

Durgan
I'll see if I can find a link to that quote.

might try this

might read this
http://www.clemson.edu/hort/peach/pdfs/FG97.pdf

Last edited by John3; March 22, 2013 at 05:48 PM.
Old March 22, 2013   #44
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by John3 View Post
"Asimina triloba pawpaw to which you are referring, this species is monoecious, meaning it has separate male and female flowers which both occur on the same plant. In this case, the flowers may be developing at different times, so the plant isn't capable of self-fertilization. This is common strategy among monoecious plants. In others, the pollen must come from a different tree of the same species."
One reason for the phrase PawPaw Patch

]
Wow. Many thanks. So far my trees haven't produced any flowers. I am hoping this year is my lucky year. I suspect that my area is pushing it a bit, and probably on the upper limit of growth for the plant. I only know one other grower and he has never had fruit. Anyway I will obtain the hand pollination paraphernalia in anticipation.
Durgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2013   #45
John3
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durgan View Post
Wow. Many thanks. So far my trees haven't produced any flowers. I am hoping this year is my lucky year. I suspect that my area is pushing it a bit, and probably on the upper limit of growth for the plant. I only know one other grower and he has never had fruit. Anyway I will obtain the hand pollination paraphernalia in anticipation.
Are you within these guidelines?

"
Climate
The pawpawis a tree of temperate humid growing zones, requiring warm to hot summers, mild to cold winters, and a minimum of 32 inches (81 cm) of rainfall spread rather evenly throughout the year, with the majority falling in spring and summer. It can be grown successfully in USDA plant hardiness zones 5 (-15o F/-26o C) through 8 (15o F/-9o C). Pawpaws grow wild over a wide range of latitude, from the Gulf Coastal plain to southern Michigan. However, the trees may not receive adequate chilling hours if planted too close to the Gulf Coast. Most named cultivars originated in the Midwest, which is the northern portion of the pawpaw's range. A national regional variety trial is underway to determine which varieties perform best in different parts of the country, and results should become available in the next several years. In the meantime, for best results, choose cultivars that were selected in a climatic zone and latitude similar to the area where they will be planted.
Site, soils, and habitat
Although the pawpaw is capable of fruiting in the shade, optimum yields are obtained in open exposure, with some protection from wind (on account of the large leaves). Germinating seedlings, however, will not survive under those conditions because they are extremely sensitive to full sunlight, which can kill them. (Containerized seedlings may be grown without shade in a greenhouse.) Shading for the first year, and sometimes the second, is normally required outside, and it is for this reason that pawpaws are almost always found in nature as an understory tree. The soil should be slightly acid (pH 5.5-7), deep, fertile, and well-drained. Good drainage is essential to success. Pawpaws will not thrive in heavy soil or waterlogged soil. In habit it is a small tree, seldom taller than 25 feet. Grown in full sun, the pawpaw tree develops a narrowly pyramidal shape with dense, drooping foliage down to the ground level. In the shade it has a more open branching habit with few lower limbs and horizontally held leaves."

from
http://www.pawpaw.kysu.edu/pawpaw/ppg.htm

From my experience no fruit and flowers on most plants to much nitrogen - not saying this is your problem but your plants look really good.

Last edited by John3; March 22, 2013 at 06:19 PM.