Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old October 24, 2018   #16
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
I was his source of seeds, why do you ask?
Marsha I asked b/c his seeds were not correct for the variety and I wondered where he got his seeds from.

When I grew RB my seeds were directly from Russ Aceto,aka Counselor, and he asked me not to share seeds with anyone and I didn't.

Russ also sent me two of his own family Italian heirlooms,one was called Father,the other one Son, and yes he had no problem with my putting them in a seed offer.

Which is true for many varieties,if we don't share seeds with each other, the really great ones don't have a chance to be better known.

Why did Russ call his site Doc and Katie's? that's an interesting question. When I first was asked to go to D and K he saw I was in upstate NY,so Pmed me and asked me where. It turned out he's originally from the Rochester, NY area and I was there
at the same time in grad School at the Med Center. We both knew Doc and Katie since they were well known in the area and had a radio program. And on their radio program they would say,here's our address if you want to send to us and ask for our sheets on how to grow this and that please do so.

I liked the taste of RB, but Russ didn't like the color and I was supposed to get back to him and make some suggestions,but I left D and K primarily b/c it was more of a club than a message site and he was trying very hard to up membership by doing those contests like what is your best Red Beefsteak, etc.

I went back only once about a year ago,with a new user name just to spy on someone,I admit that.

I don't know if he's now retired,if you are still there you can tell me that and I don't know if either of the two e-mail addys I have will now reach him,but you can help with that as well

Carolyn
Old October 24, 2018   #17
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Nico, these are not wrong for the variety, they are just from some late season megabloom double fruits . As you mentioned, your plants were the expected multiflora brown cherry all season.
I enjoyed it as well. Seeds for mine last year also from Marsha.
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24, 2018   #18
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Marsha I asked b/c his seeds were not correct for the variety and I wondered where he got his seeds from.

When I grew RB my seeds were directly from Russ Aceto,aka Counselor, and he asked me not to share seeds with anyone and I didn't.

Russ also sent me two of his own family Italian heirlooms,one was called Father,the other one Son, and yes he had no problem with my putting them in a seed offer.

Which is true for many varieties,if we don't share seeds with each other, the really great ones don't have a chance to be better known.

Why did Russ call his site Doc and Katie's? that's an interesting question. When I first was asked to go to D and K he saw I was in upstate NY,so Pmed me and asked me where. It turned out he's originally from the Rochester, NY area and I was there
at the same time in grad School at the Med Center. We both knew Doc and Katie since they were well known in the area and had a radio program. And on their radio program they would say,here's our address if you want to send to us and ask for our sheets on how to grow this and that please do so.

I liked the taste of RB, but Russ didn't like the color and I was supposed to get back to him and make some suggestions,but I left D and K primarily b/c it was more of a club than a message site and he was trying very hard to up membership by doing those contests like what is your best Red Beefsteak, etc.

I went back only once about a year ago,with a new user name just to spy on someone,I admit that.

I don't know if he's now retired,if you are still there you can tell me that and I don't know if either of the two e-mail addys I have will now reach him,but you can help with that as well

Carolyn
Carolyn they are correct for the variety. Plese read his responses again, all grew true he said so, except these megablooms that he got at the end.
I got my seeds from Russ, and I sent him back mine, and these were what he gave out after approving my photos, and sering the extreme multiflora I got, of the variety, so you actually got yours from me too.
He's just fine with the yellow skin now too, since it tastes so good to most and has that lovely heart shape.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24, 2018   #19
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
Carolyn they are correct for the variety. Plese read his responses again, all grew true he said so, except these megablooms that he got at the end.
I got my seeds from Russ, and I sent him back mine, and these were what he gave out after approving my photos, and sering the extreme multiflora I got, of the variety, so you actually got yours from me too.
He's just fine with the yellow skin now too, since it tastes so good to most and has that lovely heart shape.
I did go back and read his responses again and looked at his pictures yet again and I saw no indication of fruits that looked like they came from megablooms.

And yes I paid attention to Marv and what he wrote in his book.And yes I have grown some varieties that are prone to exhibiting megablooms,aka fasciated, as some call them and for me and some others they usually appear earlier in the season on certain PL varieties. I would take off those early megablooms since I didn't want the plants to waste energy on ripening them since I was never one interested in who could grow the biggest fruits.No I don't remember which specific varieties might have been involved..

Carolyn