Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 15, 2021   #1
whoose
Tomatovillian™

Default Yellow Bottom Leaves

Strange yellowing of bottom leaves. Too much or not enough of something? Appear only to be in the Big Beef f1 and 4th of July types. Otherwise they look fine. Suggestion?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tom yellow.jpg (216.9 KB, 153 views)
whoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15, 2021   #2
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

Happens to mine all the time when they get as big as yours. Just pinch them off, and for goodness sake get them outside and harden them off.
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2021   #3
whoose
Tomatovillian™

Tough to harden off 4 inches of snow and 20f last night 30f high today.
whoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2021   #4
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

It is nutrient (mostly nitrogen) deficiency. Probably root bound, or simply out of food, or too cold, and of course could also be due to high EC due to too much fertilizer. In these situations one usually does a test, fertilize one and see how it responds.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2021   #5
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

They are struggling. Losing older leaves in favour of new ones in crowded low light conditions. Over and under watering can also contribute.
Can you raise the lights? If they were mine, I would remove them one at a time, assess each individually, remove all lower yellowing foliage, fertilize with 1/2 strength soluble, apply a fan for airflow and do all I could to acclimate them to natural light ASAP. They mostly were just planted too early but they look salvageable to me. I hope your forecast weather improves
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21, 2021   #6
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

I think in small cells as the seedlings get bigger they try to shed lower leaves sooner. But to me

that is not an issue. I would pinch them off when I plant them anyway.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22, 2021   #7
Milan HP
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardeneer View Post
I think in small cells as the seedlings get bigger they try to shed lower leaves sooner. But to me

that is not an issue. I would pinch them off when I plant them anyway.
I fully agree. The causes are probably a complex of not enough nutrients, excess of water (strangely enough not so much water deficiency unless it's extreme), insufficient light down there (no help to increase the intensity as they are shaded by the tops), high humidity and/or the "capacity" of the root system. It seems to me that the bottom leaves are of no priority (or even use) to the plant. Dispensable. Similarly to cotyledons.

I usually ignore these symptoms and plant the affected seedlings as if they were okay. It has never happened to me that they weren't.

Milan HP
Milan HP is offline   Reply With Quote