Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old September 4, 2013   #61
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

Yes, my request was denied.

I have a lead on a source though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crmauch View Post
Did you try contacting the TGRC?

Ignorance more frequently begets knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. --Charles Darwin
ChrisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4, 2013   #62
Loic12
Tomatovillian™

I believe your source got your SASE. Came the other day, actually. Et oui, your source hasn't asked you yet but he may want a line that strongly carries ATV in return?

Last edited by Loic12; September 4, 2013 at 10:19 PM.
Loic12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4, 2013   #63
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

Great! Thanks, Loic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loic12 View Post
I believe your source got your SASE. Came the other day, actually.

Ignorance more frequently begets knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. --Charles Darwin
Old September 5, 2013   #64
tlintx
Tomatovillian™

Two months later, I have flowers preparing to bloom on 12" to 16" plants. Still pretty hot out there, not sure if they'll set or drop before next week's slightly cooler temperatures arrive.

I think they're a bit taller than I'd expect in the spring, since the heat (and shade) makes everything grow a bit lanky. But still very robust and more heat tolerant than the bigger plants.
tlintx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5, 2013   #65
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

Mine stayed pretty small while in pots. When I put the indeterminates into the ground they took off like typical dwarfs and are now about 4.5' tall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlintx View Post
Two months later, I have flowers preparing to bloom on 12" to 16" plants. Still pretty hot out there, not sure if they'll set or drop before next week's slightly cooler temperatures arrive.

I think they're a bit taller than I'd expect in the spring, since the heat (and shade) makes everything grow a bit lanky. But still very robust and more heat tolerant than the bigger plants.

Old September 5, 2013   #66
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

Default New crosses--F2

Below are some flowering F2 plants of Yellow Dwarf x Sungold and Red Robin x Sungold. 10-16" tall right now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg YDSG_1.jpg (617.2 KB, 295 views)
File Type: jpg YDSG_2.jpg (269.3 KB, 287 views)
File Type: jpg YDSG_3.jpg (331.9 KB, 285 views)
File Type: jpg RRSG_1.jpg (304.5 KB, 286 views)
File Type: jpg RRSG_2.jpg (348.5 KB, 290 views)

Old September 13, 2013   #67
Darren Abbey
Tomatovillian™

My "Tiny Tim"x"?" F1 plant is now fruiting heavily. The fruit share many characteristics with TT, but would best be described as, "acidic and salty."

Fortunately, the goal of growing this plant is to collect lots of F2 seeds for later screening. Since I don't know what the pollen-parent was, the only prediction I can make is that 1/64 of the progeny should be micro-dwarf-determinants.
Darren Abbey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21, 2013   #68
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

A couple of F3 fruits. Plants are more like the dwarfs than micros.

A striped and a GWR.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F3-1.jpg (111.9 KB, 281 views)
File Type: jpg F3-8.jpg (135.0 KB, 285 views)
File Type: jpg F3-1 F3-8 cut.jpg (283.1 KB, 288 views)

Last edited by ChrisK; September 21, 2013 at 05:01 PM. Reason: Added cut pic
Old September 22, 2013   #69
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

Four out of the 20 or so dwarf/micro F2 plants from a Hardin's Miniature cross picked from a flat. The plants are ~2 mo. old now.

The one on the far left inherited the HM rolled leaf phenotype (no clue what that gene is). The largest plant in this pic is 14" tall and the smallest (far right) is 8" tall.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0651.JPG (568.3 KB, 310 views)

Last edited by ChrisK; September 22, 2013 at 03:37 PM.
Old November 17, 2013   #70
sprtsguy76
Tomatovillian™

Been MIA for quite some time here. Looks as if things are progressing nicely. I managed to grow some, but not all F1 seed crosses out this fall. Just processed two fruit from a RR x JD's. Time to put the mini green house up and see if I can get some more blushers. The cold nights are starting to set in here although day temps have been very nice still. Hopefully I will get many more fruit to ripen so I can share seed and also grow some out myself to get some looks in the F2's (which is when the fun begins).

Damon
sprtsguy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17, 2013   #71
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

Looking forward to pictures!

Right now I've got a flat of the Hardin's Mini x Choc. Cherry F3 from one of the micro plants above started. We'll see how they do over the winter! I am beginning to think I need a commercial greenhouse like I used to work in as a kid. I have several more micro crosses but no room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtsguy76 View Post
Been MIA for quite some time here. Looks as if things are progressing nicely. I managed to grow some, but not all F1 seed crosses out this fall. Just processed two fruit from a RR x JD's. Time to put the mini green house up and see if I can get some more blushers. The cold nights are starting to set in here although day temps have been very nice still. Hopefully I will get many more fruit to ripen so I can share seed and also grow some out myself to get some looks in the F2's (which is when the fun begins).

Damon

Old December 12, 2013   #72
sprtsguy76
Tomatovillian™

Well the freezing temps have set in and I have struggled to collect seeds from the f-1's I grew out this fall. Aside from collecting seeds from 1 or 2 fully ripe fruit earlier this fall, today I pulled off a dozen fruits that showed signs of breaker stage but also had some frost damage. I'm concerned about how good these seeds will be. Most of the fruit I got seeds from today seemed to have some gel. For this reason I don't think I will be offering seeds this winter. But rest assure I will get an early jump on the 2014 season and have plenty to share come late spring early summer.

Damon
sprtsguy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27, 2013   #73
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

I've distributed about 20 plants of this cross (F3 generation) to coworkers and friends for winter selection. Below are the three I kept for myself. The plant in the striped pot is 3" tall and the first flower buds are coming out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0741.JPG (471.4 KB, 293 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0742.JPG (514.1 KB, 283 views)

Old February 23, 2014   #74
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

Any updates from others?

Here is the latest of the three I have on my windowsill. Reports from colleagues on 12 more due in any day now!

Far left is a (semi)determinate micro ~8" tall (most of the flower trusses are on the other side). Very strong rolled leaf phenotype.

The two on the right are definitely indeterminates and will likely be more similar to the dwarfs.

Fruit shape of the determinate plant.

Fruit shape of one of the indeterminates.

Last edited by ChrisK; February 23, 2014 at 01:02 PM. Reason: additional info
Old February 23, 2014   #75
crmauch
Tomatovillian™

What kind of watering system do you have set up? (Noticed the tubing).
crmauch is offline   Reply With Quote