Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a favorite recipe that's always a hit with family and friends? Share it with us!

Old September 16, 2018   #7561
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

El Pato /The Duck, enchilada sauce is one of my favorites that comes from a can.

Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16, 2018   #7562
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Last night I had chili on tamales with cheese and one whole giant red onion chopped and put on top.
It was what turned out the be the worlds hottest red onion.
I mean this thing was hot big time but I ate it anyway with watery eyes and runny nose.
I was feeling down in the dumps yesterday (cold coming on) and after I ate this nasty sulfuric thing I went to bed.
This morning I feel much better.
I think it was the onion that made me feel better and warded off what ever was about to hit me.
Cant prove it but it is what I choose to believe.
Old September 16, 2018   #7563
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

Yep, enchiladas are authentic Mexican as a tortilla wrapped around some other food. I had shrimp enchiladas in cheese sauce for lunch today. My wife had egg filled soft tacos. Enchiladas are so authentic, TexMex couldn't exist without them. We gringo's must maintain some sense of authenticity.

Red Onions! I used to think they are mild and sweet. At least I was told they are. I've grown them in my garden. Some of them bring tears to my eyes and I don't mean as I am cutting them. Those "dudes" can be hot. I love them.
DonDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16, 2018   #7564
coronabarb
Tomatoville® Recipe Keeper

Your first ever enchiladas, Nan? Glad you enjoyed them. Growing up in So Cal, they were pretty much a staple. I just made pork enchiladas a few days ago with leftover meat from the night before. Topped them with green enchilada sauce which we prefer over red. I love just plain cheese and onion enchiladas with lots of rice on the side.
Old September 16, 2018   #7565
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I just did a rough calculation of how many pounds of onions I eat a year.
It averages about 300 pounds for one person.
I buy about 6 pounds a week in the three pound bags.
I just looked it up and the average person per year eats 13.67 pounds across the world per year.
The US is 20.3 pounds dried and fresh per person.
And here I am at 300 pounds.
America isn't eating enough onions by a long shot.
Old September 16, 2018   #7566
imp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by coronabarb View Post
Your first ever enchiladas, Nan? Glad you enjoyed them. Growing up in So Cal, they were pretty much a staple. I just made pork enchiladas a few days ago with leftover meat from the night before. Topped them with green enchilada sauce which we prefer over red. I love just plain cheese and onion enchiladas with lots of rice on the side.

Enchiladas are wonderful, you can put almost anything in them and they are good! Rob and I always preferred the green sauce more than red, and not the sweet enchiladas that were in vogue for a time. Cheese and onion enchiladas are the bomb!
Old September 16, 2018   #7567
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

Sam's club has started selling large bags of real bacon bits. The "bits" are fairly large pieces of real, cooked bacon. They are not the processed soy bean bacon bit's that have been around for many years as a salad topping. They taste like bacon taken from the fry pan only a few minutes earlier.

The real bacon bits with some scrambled egg, cheddar cheese, chopped onion, and possibly a little salsa wrapped in a tortilla are delicious.
Old September 16, 2018   #7568
AlittleSalt
Tomatovillian™

I had some Indian Fry Bread with pickled jalapenos and honey for lunch. We went to a Powwow today at Trader's Village.
Old September 16, 2018   #7569
imp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDuck View Post
Sam's club has started selling large bags of real bacon bits. The "bits" are fairly large pieces of real, cooked bacon. They are not the processed soy bean bacon bit's that have been around for many years as a salad topping. They taste like bacon taken from the fry pan only a few minutes earlier.

The real bacon bits with some scrambled egg, cheddar cheese, chopped onion, and possibly a little salsa wrapped in a tortilla are delicious.

Yes, breakfast tacos are good too. Had a guilty pleasure for supper, a Wendy's Jr bacon burger.
Old September 19, 2018   #7570
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I have the never ending bottomless pot of beef vegetable soup going on.
Didn't have enough room for carrots and potatoes yesterday so I am cooking them on the side and adding them tonight.
But first it started out as a pot roast with onions.
Then corn green beans and sweet peas with hamburger meatballs plus the beef.
Now the carrots and potatoes.

Worth
Old September 19, 2018   #7571
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Two heaping hand fulls of paprika at the finish.
You might consider it a type of goulash.

IMG_20180919_19341.jpg
Old September 19, 2018   #7572
bower
Tomatovillian™

Sounds like my bottomless chicken this week. Roasted some days ago with lemon garlic cayenne paprika - and onions (of course!!). Enter a lavish supply of kousa and romanesco zucchini from the farm. The leftover protocol starts with a bay leaf in the olive oil, zuch slices, leeks, peas, choice of herbs and spices simmered for a few minutes, and the chicken pieces tossed in at the end for just long enough to heat through. Served over rice. I can't believe I have eaten it four times this week and neither sick of it nor entirely out of chicken! But I may have to make soup next.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19, 2018   #7573
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

peanut butter sandwich for lunch and a bowl of fresh cooked pinto beans for dinner. Neither lunch nor dinner added up to a real meal, but together they do. Can't go wrong with peanut butter or beans.

Waiting for cold weather to arrive before my mind starts thinking of stews, soups, and chili. Come on cold weather.

Last edited by DonDuck; September 19, 2018 at 08:49 PM.
Old September 19, 2018   #7574
coronabarb
Tomatoville® Recipe Keeper

I love peanut butter. I eat it almost every morning on toast. Cooked pinto beans - we were somewhat poor growing up. My mom made do and some nights, dinner was cooked pinto beans on buttered bread. She called it "beans on bread" and I rather liked it. Didn't know any different. My family would mutiny if I tried to feed them that now.
Old September 19, 2018   #7575
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by coronabarb View Post
I love peanut butter. I eat it almost every morning on toast. Cooked pinto beans - we were somewhat poor growing up. My mom made do and some nights, dinner was cooked pinto beans on buttered bread. She called it "beans on bread" and I rather liked it. Didn't know any different. My family would mutiny if I tried to feed them that now.

We eat a lot of beans because we like them. We didn't when our kids were young. I'm not sure why. I heat some tortillas and cut them into quarters. I fold the tortilla quarter into a scoop and load it with beans. You add anything you want to the scoops like avocado, or onion, or sour cream. I consider it fine dining. I've always enjoyed finger food.

I once belonged to an organization which had a yearly fund raising dinner for some children's charities. Tickets to the dinner were pretty expensive so we usually had big thick steaks or some delicacy for dinner. One year, everyone was seated at their tables anticipating what they would be served. The waiters came out and placed a bowl of pinto beans in front of every guest. Most people thought the beans would simply be a side dish to the actual meal. They wearn't, they were the meal. I loved it, but some people were shocked. The point of the beans was all of the money possible should go to the kids.

Last edited by DonDuck; September 19, 2018 at 11:05 PM.