Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 23, 2016   #1
4season
Tomatovillian™

Default where is the sticky post on genetics ?

I ran across it once. Now that I have sprouted seed and have a mix of pl and rl plants I am curious as to what traits are dominant. The seed came from a cutting from a 2014 volunteer. In 2015 the cutting grew out as a salad sized red. The volunteer was beefsteak sized.
4season is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2016   #2
bower
Tomatovillian™

hi 4 season.
There's a sticky with links at the top of the page in the Crosstalk forum.
RL is dominant over PL, so in a cross of RL X PL, the first generation or F1 will all be RL. In the second generation or F2, the expected ratio is 1/4 PL and 3/4 RL. Two of the three RL still carry the PL gene, but it's not expressed because of RL dominance.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2016   #3
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4season View Post
I ran across it once. Now that I have sprouted seed and have a mix of pl and rl plants I am curious as to what traits are dominant. The seed came from a cutting from a 2014 volunteer. In 2015 the cutting grew out as a salad sized red. The volunteer was beefsteak sized.
Bower has told you where to find the genetics info in Crosstalk,but to me it sounds like you had some cross pollination going on.

Volunteer in 2014 gave beefsteaks and and in 2015 same seeds from original volunteer gave you salad sized fruit.

So as I see it, seeds you saved in 2014 from that cutting,I have no idea how many fruits you used for seeds,which can be important, but some seeds were the result of cross pollination,so no way to predict what will happen or what is dominant or recessive,IMO.

Carolyn
Old March 23, 2016   #4
4season
Tomatovillian™

The volunteer was some sort of hybrid or seed from one, the 2015 plant was a cutting from the 2014 plant kept alive over winter. It was the cutting or clone of the first plant that had the smaller sized tomato. I refuse to believe (or don't want to)my soil is so much different across the garden to cause the size change. I saved seeds from the 2015 plant. Just counted 11 pl 21 rl.
4season is offline   Reply With Quote