Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old February 21, 2008   #31
Ruth_10
Tomatovillian™

Thanks folks for a most interesting thread! Even though I have more or less unlimited space to grow, using containers adds another dimension to the growing experience. I used a kitty litter bucket HEB last year and this year have my first Sterlite brand container HEB to try out.

I will be using my containers for early spring planting of a couple of things. They will go on the front porch, which gets sun in the spring but provides some protection as well.

By the way, the link below discusses potting soils in general, but the first sections discuss water levels in potting soils and might have some relevance to the discussion here. (Also interesting is the author's recommendation to NOT put gravel or other "drainage" type materials in the bottom of pots.)

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/CN004

Some say the glass half-full. Others say the glass is half-empty. To an engineer, it’s twice as big as it needs to be.

Last edited by Ruth_10; February 21, 2008 at 01:55 PM. Reason: added link
Ruth_10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2008   #32
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Ruth,

I was so happy about the construction and the Automated Watering System on the first 12 I built, that I have another 13 under construction!!

Ray
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote