Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old December 2, 2006   #1
Mantis
Tomatovillian™

Default Summer Harvest - here they come

Todays sample. Some not fully ripe but getting in before the birds.

Clockwise from top left. Aunt Ginny, Opalka, Bush Whopper, Azoychka, Brandywines and Momotaro. The last 5 I haven't tasted yet this year so will report back soon.
Cheers Mantis
Mantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2, 2006   #2
bcday
Tomatovillian™

Only 235 days to go until I can expect to see anything like that here. Would someone please invent a way to email ripe tomatoes? Trying to grab these SH ones off my monitor screen isn't working.

Looks like my patch is headed for the deep freeze. The forecast for the coming week is daytime highs of 5 to -5C, lows to -10C.
bcday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2, 2006   #3
Grub
Tomatovillian™

Nice spread. I will be interested to read your tasting notes.

BTW: If mine's anything to go by, it's looking very much like the Livingston's Favorite seeds I saved last season are crossed. Mine are looking as though they will be large cherries. If that's the case, sorry.
Grub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2, 2006   #4
Mantis
Tomatovillian™

Don't worry Grub, I'll get plenty of tomatoes. Mine are about golf ball size now. Others are giving me smaller than usual fruit as well but my potted plants are giving me larger fruit than last year.
Old December 3, 2006   #5
Grub
Tomatovillian™

Maybe they are okay then? I just don't remember them that well at the green stage. Plant habit is right at this end. Lots of greenies here. Cooler weather might help Brandywine Sudduth and Earl's Faux set a few, too.
Old December 3, 2006   #6
Mantis
Tomatovillian™

Yeah, I am hoping for the same down here with the cooler temps. Not to many of them flowering but.
Hey, I've got a lovely GMG starting to blush and is giving a bit on the squeeze test.
How's Pontings form eh. Most tons from any Australian and with a lot fewer tests. The guy is a legend.
Old December 3, 2006   #7
Grub
Tomatovillian™

That's great that GMG is ready already! Save a few seeds off the cutting board, pretty please. I think it must be getting close to stable now. I think we at about F6 or something. I can't recall, but you have the good one.

I have heaps of Stumps, Neves and Cherokee Purple fruitset. Very different year. I also have a new legend must-grow tomato. More when it gets riper. I'll be sure to save some seeds

Ponting is such a lengend. Had the cricket on. Gotta beat these Poms. Where I live, Manly, there are more Poms than Aussies!
Old December 3, 2006   #8
Mantis
Tomatovillian™

Will save seeds for sure. One thing about these is they all have a big belly button, is this normal. Lovely size and shape.
Good news on the fruitset. Bring it on. When mine run out you will have to take up the challenge eh.
Old December 3, 2006   #9
Grub
Tomatovillian™

Hmm. I had a few with belly buttons but I couldn't say it was a distinguishing feature. Gotta be a climatic thing, eh? I've also got a large GMG Red growing from saved seeds from Robbins. So I'm excited about this one for other reasons, too.

This sure is an interesting season. I have more fruit set on the big-fruited ones than I have seen before, but everything is late. Even the cherries are green and not willing to change.

Got some nice cucmbers, some emerging jalapenos, some big purple eggplant flowers, and today I sowed two boxes of salad. I'm lovin' it.

BTW: Yesterday I went to antenatal classes, spent half my weekend looking at dilated cervixes, stretched vaginas, baby crowns, this and that. And tried the vaccum baby extracter on my forehead and got a good seal. Nature is amazing, eh? The way the baby turns to fit through the pelvis.
Old December 3, 2006   #10
Mantis
Tomatovillian™

Thats becoming a distant memory with my youngest nearly 10, but yeah it is amazing.
My first daughter had to be dragged out with some oversize barbecue tongs, the second had to be caught by a very agile young lady doctor with a big catching mitt. Best feeling in the world when you see them come out healthy and with all digits. I am in easy period now with a 9 yo and a 11yo. Still love putting up the xmas tree and video taping the new kittens. Guessing that will not be the case in a short few years
But, it was Morgan Freeman, in a movie I can't remember the name of that said to a mother to be, "If you decide to keep this kid, make sure that you spoil it every day, and as much as you can" or something like that.
Spoiling kids is not so bad me thinks. As long as you constantly let them know that they are spoiled.
Old December 3, 2006   #11
Grub
Tomatovillian™

LOL Mantis.

I'm sure the birth thing is a minor part, really, what with having to deal with the grubs for another 20 years or possibloy more
Old December 3, 2006   #12
Miss_Mudcat
Tomatovillian™

Hi Mantis and Grub,

I am just sitting here reading with delight about your tomatoes coming on. BTW, Grub, earlier this year I got a GMG plant from Earl. It was the family favorite this summer - large fruits, great flavor and very pretty. All the children still talk about it and look forward to growing it again next season.

So, Grub, your wife expecting? I was a little shocked when the conversation changed abruptly from little tomatoes to little babies! I am sitting here on my hot pad and balance ball as our 5th little one will arrive in a couple of weeks! Very exciting time - a baby for Christmas!

Hope y'all continue to have a great season!

Lisa
Old December 3, 2006   #13
greggf
Tomatovillian™

Please tell us how all your varieties taste, as time goes on!

I'm especially interested in Azoychka and Momotaro................

And don't be shy with photos. We want photos, we want photos!

=gregg=
greggf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3, 2006   #14
Grub
Tomatovillian™

Congratulations Lisa!

No. 5 might be a quick one .

Just No. 1 for us, so very exciting.

I'll be sure to post tasting notes Greg. I have great fruitset on the Momotaro, which is an exceptionally strong RL plant that burst out of the blocks right from the word go.

Nice trusses of four or six or something like that. I'm curious to see to if it delivers its expected sweetness.
Old December 3, 2006   #15
Mantis
Tomatovillian™

The wife and I sampled a couple yesterday. Started with Azoychka which is mild but fruity and very good. Then Brandywine and although the fruit this year are small, the flavour is still there, but maybe not as full and complex as the last couple of seasons. They really do stand out from the rest.
Waiting for the others to ripen more. Bush Whopper smells promising. Great little plant.