Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 15, 2018   #76
GrowingCoastal
Tomatovillian™

"1) check out " 0-33 " introduced by Tatianas in 2015 ."

I grew it last year. Delicious and productive. Balanced flavour.
GrowingCoastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15, 2018   #77
BlackBear
Tomatovillian™

Default A few more that may or may not match your needs

1) Zolotoe Serdtse

2) Velmozha (listed as a mid season ...but was among the earliest production for me last year ) This one is a "must be back " for me .

3) I have some value for Gregori's Altai ...as it seems to be one that sets fruit in early cool and also heat wave tolerant ........It is a mid season ...but relatively early for large fruit.

Old January 15, 2018   #78
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjamesNorway View Post
Which means it's a strain (or renaming) of Stupice. Tatiana writes, "A commercial variety from Moravoseeds, Czechoslovakia. The name means 'The Wonder from Moravia'. As some Russian seed vendors stated on their websites, this is one of the strains of Stupice tomato, Stupické polní rané. This information was also confirmed by a representative of Moravoseed company."
I've grown both, but MD outperformed Stupice in my garden in taste and production. The key word is "my" garden. Different gardens often produce different results.
DonDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15, 2018   #79
BlackBear
Tomatovillian™

well this info. has probably been posted some where before ....

but these ones : (potato leaf early etc.)

Moravsky Div
Glacier,
Kotlas,
Kimberly,
Bloody Butcher,
Imur Prior Beta,
Matina/Tamina

a lot of similarities and nuances of the above group :

There seems to be a group of folks that prefers Moravsky Div.

and a group of happy Campers with Matina /Tamina pref.

I had good consistent success with Kimberly as well ..
Old January 15, 2018   #80
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBear View Post
well this info. has probably been posted some where before ....

but these ones : (potato leaf early etc.)

Moravsky Div
Glacier,
Kotlas,
Kimberly,
Bloody Butcher,
Imur Prior Beta,
Matina/Tamina

a lot of similarities and nuances of the above group :

There seems to be a group of folks that prefers Moravsky Div.

and a group of happy Campers with Matina /Tamina pref.

I had good consistent success with Kimberly as well ..
I've grown every single one your list, that is where I grew them.There's absolutely NO way to compare them as grown by others since it isn't know HOW they grow their tomatoes, what amendments they use, and if so,which ones, how much and when,nor what the weather was like in the season they grew them, nor where they grew them, speaking geographically.

Carolyn
Old January 15, 2018   #81
Black Krim
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarinaRussian View Post
Krayniy Sever is a great early variety. The plants are very compact determinate dwarfs with rugose foliage and the fruits have a very decent taste for an early tomato.

I looked this up at Tantiana's tomatos--ripens by mid july in her experience. My earliest tomato has been third week of July.

THank you for the suggestion- marked it in my notes!
Black Krim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15, 2018   #82
Black Krim
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBig46 View Post
Moravsky div is Stupické polní rané from Moravoseed.
Vladimír
YEAHHHHH!!! I remembered this correctly. I ordered Moravsky Div vaguely connecting it to Stupicke polni rane. Thank you for mentioning this!

As I have been researching, no personal experience, Stupice is perhaps not as cold tolerant anymore as the MD. IF the strain has not been selected for cold tolerance for a long time, the trait is likely to decrease; this led me to hunt down MD as it is known here as far as I understand.

Last edited by Black Krim; January 15, 2018 at 09:35 PM.
Old January 15, 2018   #83
Black Krim
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBear View Post
1) Zolotoe Serdtse

2) Velmozha (listed as a mid season ...but was among the earliest production for me last year ) This one is a "must be back " for me .

3) I have some value for Gregori's Altai ...as it seems to be one that sets fruit in early cool and also heat wave tolerant ........It is a mid season ...but relatively early for large fruit.

I looked at Gregori's Altai--will have another look. Thank you for the several posts with suggestions.
Old January 15, 2018   #84
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

I liked the earliness, taste, fruit size, & productivity of Gregory's Altai.

Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15, 2018   #85
Black Krim
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
I've grown every single one your list, that is where I grew them.There's absolutely NO way to compare them as grown by others since it isn't know HOW they grow their tomatoes, what amendments they use, and if so,which ones, how much and when,nor what the weather was like in the season they grew them, nor where they grew them, speaking geographically.

Carolyn
THank you for chiming in Carolyn!

Yes, I must take the input and use it to make educated guesses as to which will work here.

I read one variety will grow to 2 feet in pot, and 4 in the ground, which probably accounts for the 2 different sizes two growers here experienced.

One question I am tossing about is, how much N affects growth when an early fruit is the goal????

Real world opinions/experience help me flesh out the advertising verbage.
Old January 15, 2018   #86
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

I experimented a little with my Moravsky Div plants last year by direct seeding them in the soil instead of growing transplants from seed. The only seedlings I planted were six purchased Big Beef plants in order to guarantee some tomatoes. The remaining twelve varieties were direct seeded. Some varieties did not perform well at all. Some like Cherry Falls performed very well with good growth and good production. Moravsky Div performed pretty well with decent production into the hot summer and more production in the fall. All of the direct seeds were planted in February with a few freezes left in the winter. I was trying to replicate the conditions volunteer plants experience in my garden.
DonDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15, 2018   #87
Black Krim
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDuck View Post
I experimented a little with my Moravsky Div plants last year by direct seeding them in the soil instead of growing transplants from seed. The only seedlings I planted were six purchased Big Beef plants in order to guarantee some tomatoes. The remaining twelve varieties were direct seeded. Some varieties did not perform well at all. Some like Cherry Falls performed very well with good growth and good production. Moravsky Div performed pretty well with decent production into the hot summer and more production in the fall. All of the direct seeds were planted in February with a few freezes left in the winter. I was trying to replicate the conditions volunteer plants experience in my garden.
Very interesting. Last year I observed a number of self seeded tomato plants. Only one variety could be ID's due to the foliage and the tiny red fruit: red currant. The location had been planted with red currant the year before but to actually have it start after the garden was tilled and planted with other vegies, what a surprize to see these tomatos make a stand. This is in contrast to the many starts in the compost pile and in the woods, both more shaded than the red currant area.

Red Currant earned a place in my garden based on hardiness.
Old January 16, 2018   #88
BlackBear
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post

Carolyn
You are so right about that Carolyn . About the various geography /climate /

culture conditions and variations ......I have also grown all on the mentioned list of early Potato leaf varieties ...in search for early and later etc.

All the varieties must have some niche or advantage somewhere.

Results may vary .

For my situation and results ..out of that list
I am one that has found it worth it to wait slightly a bit longer for Matina ...

and enjoy the vigorous disease resistant abundance.

I still plant others on the (early potato leaf) list as well every year (in rotation ).
Old January 16, 2018   #89
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

Gregori is early for its size and makes beautiful tomatoes. Once heat comes however, it will leaf roll unlike anything you've seen before, up to the top.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16, 2018   #90
Black Krim
Tomatovillian™

No perfect tomato......

SInce most of the early tomatos are determinate as far as I can determine, I expect to pull these early producers when the next wave of tomatoes arrive from other varieties.

The springs here are notably cold. OFten rain, cold and longer than usual. Likely the new normal. ANd the temps and weather swings like a pendulum. My 14 yr old mentioned yesterday the phrase "just wait a minute,......" then couldnt recall the last line. If you dont like the weather, just wait a minute. His chuckle acknowledged that he finially understood the trials of NEw England weather. This winter has seen more very low temps, again, after a weirdly warm winter last year, and Im concerned a very cold spring will follow just as before , not a mild spring like last year.

Last summer July and August became a drought---not likey this year but sure to have many more days HOTTER than usual. recent years have seen more and more days over 90. The 100 year average shows 86 as the average high. BUt given the increasing number of days over 90, the spring tomatos are not likely to do well, and other varieties must pick up the slack, a few heat tolerant varieties to round out the summer selections.

Ah New England!