Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 1, 2019   #31
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

By far my most hated mayonnaise is Whataburger mayonnaise, it is sickeningly sweet.
Most all of their condiments are sold at HEB grocery stores here in Texas.

Last edited by Worth1; May 2, 2019 at 04:16 PM.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2019   #32
bbjm
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father'sDaughter View Post
For years my husband and I had the battle between Cain's (him) and Hellmann's (me). Last year that battle was ended with a jar, an immersion blender, and this recipe -- https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/...ayonnaise.html
Who knew the potion for marital bliss was a mayo recipe? I'm gonna try it.
bbjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2019   #33
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
By far my most hated mayonnaise is Whatabuger mayonnaise, it is sickeningly sweet.
Most all of their condiments are sold at HEB grocery stores here in Texas.

Is that supposed to be Whatabuger, Whataburger, Whatabugler, or Whatabooger?
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2019   #34
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormato View Post
Is that supposed to be Whatabuger, Whataburger, Whatabugler, or Whatabooger?
I fixed it, have you tried yours yet?
Old May 2, 2019   #35
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

I have to wait for maters. With this weather, here, it's going to be a looooooooooooong wait.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2019   #36
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

If you are dying to try Duke's and it isn't sold near you, Walmart.com will let you order it and pick it up in your local store with no shipping charge. That is how I tried it. Unfortunately, they no longer will ship the single jar, you have to buy a 2 pack. Maybe that will change again when summer season is here. It is probably also available on Amazon and if you have prime, could still ship for free.

To me, it tasted a lot like the Hellman's, just thinner. I would use either one, although my comfort is with the Hellmans, I am sure only because I grew up with it and have been using it for over 50 years, lol.
SueCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2019   #37
JaxRmrJmr
Tomatovillian™

Funny thread as my wife and I were just talking about this last weekend. We went camping and one of the sides my wife made was pasta salad - I swear she makes the best pasta salad in the world when she does it right! There was a twang in it this time and she then told me that she had to use Hellmann's because we were out of our regular mayo. Well, that kicked off the mayo discussion...

My mom always used Hellmann's when I was growing up and I liked it fine. When I was grown I would buy Hellmann's or Kraft, whichever was cheaper, and I was fine with it. Then I tried Duke's and it was good, too. Then my wife bought a small bottle from the dollar store one day to take an outing where we were feeding too many kids, too many sandwiches. That was the simplest the mayo I have ever had and I loved it. It was just "food glue" or a "moisturizer" as some cooks call it, but it was good. It was at that point that I realized that I wanted a simple emulsion of eggs and oil for my mayo and that I would season it as I wanted when I was making simple dishes. I didn't like the same "seasoned mayo" for every recipe.

Now, the teenage daughter still uses Hellmann's, but we use the big container from Sam's that is labeled "heavy mayonaise". Simple and we flavor it the way we want to depending on what we are going to use it for.
JaxRmrJmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2019   #38
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

My grandmother used salad dressing on garden/house salads. It was actually kind of gross, but she liked it. I already knew the difference between mayo and salad dressing, but I looked it up anyway.

"During the Depression, most people cannot afford to buy mayonnaise so they developed the salad dressing spread which is made like mayonnaise but has more sugar, vinegar, and water with less egg yolk to make a cheaper sandwich spread. It is sweeter and tangier than mayonnaise." https://www.google.com/search?source...31.Baqyq_m0eX4
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2019   #39
Shrinkrap
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueCT View Post
If you are dying to try Duke's and it isn't sold near you, Walmart.com will let you order it and pick it up in your local store with no shipping charge. That is how I tried it. Unfortunately, they no longer will ship the single jar, you have to buy a 2 pack. Maybe that will change again when summer season is here. It is probably also available on Amazon and if you have prime, could still ship for free.

To me, it tasted a lot like the Hellman's, just thinner. I would use either one, although my comfort is with the Hellmans, I am sure only because I grew up with it and have been using it for over 50 years, lol.
Buying it on Amazon tends to cost quite a bit more than buying it on the Sauer website, even with the free shipping. But it's a little faster. I try not to wait until Im completely out.

Last edited by Shrinkrap; May 2, 2019 at 10:59 PM.
Shrinkrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2019   #40
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I have to wait for maters. With this weather, here, it's going to be a looooooooooooong wait.

This weather is not fun! I saw on the local news that it was actually warmer in both Fairbanks Alaska and Caribou Maine today... At this rate we might just have to settle for mayonnaise sandwiches.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2019   #41
MissS
Tomatovillian™

I grew up on Miracle Whip. We never had mayo in the house. Once I was out of mom's care I still used the Miracle Whip on everything except I had to have Hellman's on a BLT. Now days, it's Hellman's on everything except potato salad. Potato salad still needs to have the tang of Miracle Whip. It is a salad dressing after all...
This thread reminds me of the thread from long ago about how to make gravy.
Old May 3, 2019   #42
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
And if you don't know what you're doing, 6 minutes from Salmonella.
I found this ironic.

""In the US, 404 people became ill and nine died in a New York City hospital due to hospital-prepared mayonnaise.''
Old May 3, 2019   #43
Gardenboy
Tomatovillian™

Never tried Blue Plate or Duke's...I use Miracle Whip instead of mayo.
Gardenboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2019   #44
tomatoaddict

I grew up with Hellman’s and love it. My cousin in GA swears by Blue Plate. When I go back to the states to visit I’m gonna try Dukes but I really think people tend to like what they grew up eating
Old May 3, 2019   #45
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I was raised on Kraft mayonnaise and my evil sister had to have her personal jar of Miracle Whip.